AEB Group Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphoppotamuss

Reaction score
…those of you who have read my other posts are aware that I am a huge fan of dry yeasts. I stumbled across this company this morning. Crazy affordable prices on dry yeasts!

Does anyone have experience with them, results and any ideas which strains they culture their yeasts from??

https://www.aeb-group.com/us/beer/biotechnology#yeasts
i consulted my everdependable oracle David Taylor’s YeastMaster but nuthin there. 🤔

thanks!

Last edited:
Their lager yeast, fermolager W, is according to their website from Weihenstephan. Not sure about their ale yeast, fermoale Y3, I've seen references to S-04 but the one brew I've so far used with it I didn't find it very similar.

Their lager yeast, fermolager W, is according to their website from Weihenstephan. Not sure about their ale yeast, fermoale Y3, I've seen references to S-04 but the one brew I've so far used with it I didn't find it very similar.
Was the AY3 any good? I’m wondering if it’s closer to Nottingham since the listed attenuation goes up to 83% 🤔

Does anyone have experience with them, results and any ideas which strains they culture their yeasts from??
They do some custom ones like "Yorkshire" for their Irish partner, who are rather more explicit about their origins than the website they've published under the eyes of US lawyers....

TLDR for the retail packs - AY3 is their S-04 equivalent, AY4 is their US-05/BRY-97 equivalent, they claim New-E comes from Boddingtons which implies it's a 1318 equivalent, leaving aside the truth of the 1318 link with Boddies....

https://www.geterbrewed.com/yeast/dried-yeast/yeast-500g/aeb-geb-yeast/

I am almost positive that Cellar Science dry yeast is relabeled AEB yeasts. There is a fairly direct mapping between AEB offerings and yeasts in the Cellar Science catalog (including unique dry yeast like Mexican Lager and Horinandal Kveik). Personally, I have only use the Cellar Science Cali Ale and never seen any AEB packaged yeasts.

The store Get 'er Brewed has carried homebrew packs of AEB Yeast. They have a couple videos on their YouTube Channel walking through many of the AEB yeasts. This might be the best one, but they have a few more videos:

I've used Fermolager W in 7 different batches. About 50/50 fermented 20c (at 12psi) and 10c (at 12psi). Generally speaking, it is very similar to to 34/70 with a few notable observations.
  • Slightly lower attenuation. My average across the 7 batches is 79.5%. Across 12 batches with 34/70 average attenuation was 86.7%
  • Flocculation isn't great. I don't have hard data, but it seems like it takes far longer, and needs additional help to bright.
Otherwise, it seems to be a mostly direct replacement for 34/70. I'm planning on trying their other options.

Back