Wiring for DIY Stir Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyhammastix

Reaction score
I am attempting to build a stir plate using a cigar box as my enclosure and than the typical 80mm 12vdc fan as my motor to spin the magnets. I am very hands on however i am no pro when it comes to electrical. Here is the parts i have and need to try and wire to close the loop with all products functioning.

- SIZE M PANEL-MOUNT COAXIAL DC POWER JACK (so i can just plug in my 12v power source to the box)
- 12VDC/30A SPST ILLUMINATED ROCKER SWITCH WITH RED LED (to power on and off while plugged in)
- 25-OHM 3-WATT RHEOSTAT (control voltage going to the fan
- Antec - TriCool 80mm LED CPU Cooling Fan.

Can someone please help me with a wiring diagram to assist me in my connections. I have read several forums that explain how to do with an old cell phone charger or power source and splicing together. I have not seen using the size M panel mount to rocker switch to rheostat to fan.

Thank you,

View attachment Full page photo.pdf

View attachment Full page photo2.pdf

Never got a chance to thank you for the feedback Shellej. I was able to rig one up and it was quite a fun experience. I think overall i paid maybe $30 for the entire thing and had a good time putting it together and seeing the fan spin. I am sure it is not as good as the store bought ones but it gets my starters moving.

Never got a chance to thank you for the feedback Shellej. I was able to rig one up and it was quite a fun experience. I think overall i paid maybe $30 for the entire thing and had a good time putting it together and seeing the fan spin. I am sure it is not as good as the store bought ones but it gets my starters moving.

Don't be so sure it's not as good. I bought a Hanna Instruments "heavy duty" HI310 stir plate for over $200, had to send it in after a few months for a warranty repair, about a year after the first repair it stopped working again and I was informed the warranty doesn't reset after warranty work is done and I was out of luck. I made a very simple DIY stir plate that gets a better vortex in my 4L starters, makes way less noise and almost never throws the bar like the store bought model did.

Yeah now that you mention it... Electronics can be a pain. At least if something goes wrong with mine, i will be easily able to diagnose the issue since i made it. They are not sophisticated devices either which helps. My only issue is i used a wooden cigar box that i got for $2 at michael's and i did not cut a hole in the top, so the stir bar does was not spinning in the growler once i added the dense wort, so i just opened it up and found a way to use it open which worked fine. Great little project though.

Back