Wine vs liquer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goofynewfie

Reaction score
What is the difference? For example what is the difference between a rhubarb wine and a rhubarb liquer? Is it just sweetness? Alcohol %?

Liqueur and liquor aren't quite the same thing and your thread title doesn't quite clarify which you are asking about.

You can add any flavor you want to vodka or grain alcohol by and call it Liqueur. I add rhubarb as a flavor component to finished cider. Just wash, chop it up, freeze, then use 1 lb of rhubarb per gallon of cider in a carboy and let it sit. I then blend to taste with another cider I've added strawberries to. I'll make 5-6 gallons of this in June and it doesn't last long once it gets hot out.

thru that link, merriam-webster defines LIQUEUR as a sweetened LIQUOR. following that link will tell you LIQUOR refers to a usually distilled alcoholic beverage

it also gives brandy, which is distilled wine, as an example of LIQUEUR

it also gives brandy, which is distilled wine, as an example of LIQUEUR
No, it gives brandy as an example of liquor, which it is.

Perhaps the Wikipedia definition is a bit more clear to read:

Wikipedia Article on Liqueur said:
A liqueur (US /lɪˈkɜːr/ or UK /lɪˈkjʊər/) is an alcoholic beverage made from a distilled spirit that has been flavored with fruit, cream, herbs, spices, flowers or nuts and bottled with added sugar or other sweetener (such as high-fructose corn syrup). Liqueurs are typically quite sweet; they are usually not aged for long after the ingredients are mixed, but may have resting periods during their production to allow flavors to marry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liqueur

Back