Will this thermostat work for fermentation chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frolfer

Reaction score
I have a dead freezer which I plan to convert to a fermentation chiller based off the son of fermentation design.
The most basic thermostat that my hardware store has is a Honeywell CT31A.

My AC adaptor is from an old speaker system, output is 12 V ~ 2.9A. Problem is that this thermostat states 24V. I'm guessing it won't work, but wanted to check before I go looking for another one.

Thanks all

Low-end HVAC thermostats typically run from the 24VAC provided by a transformer at the furnace or AC unit. So, no, that one won't run from 12V - AC or DC, but especially not 12VDC.

Cheers!

You've probably already built your other fermentation chamber, seeing as this thread is going on a year old but this unit will work just fine from 12V. It's a simple mechanical thermostat, so it really doesn't require any certain amount of power. Since you're only controlling a 12V computer fan in the SoF chiller it will work perfectly. Here's someone else that's used this thermostat to run a SoF too (includes super simple wiring instructions): http://threegodsbrewing.com/2013/04/14/son-of-fermentation-chamber-build-and-photos/

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I was doing some searching while I'm building my SoF and came across this thread (I'm using the same thermostat) and wanted to leave it here in case someone else needs the info in the future.

Latest posts

Back