Will this recipe get me close to Doggie Style by Flying dog?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this might be of interest to you then. :)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/flying-dog-doggie-style-pale-ale-recipe-21738/

Only thing you may not get is their yeast, kind of hard to replicate in house yeast strains. Most breweries wash and repitch their yeast and it eventually becomes their very own strain after awhile. My local brewery uses 1187, and they have used the same yeast for several years and its really what makes their beer. I've made a few clones of their recipes from brewers logs, they are close but I just can't get the buttery flavor they have from their yeast.

Their yeast was briefly for sale in 2007, good luck finding that. I think you could come pretty close with blending, maybe a semi-neutral like S-04 subbing maybe 20% moderately fruity belgian ale (pitch and early ferm around 60). If the S-04 runs the show you might up the belgian or brew in two vessels and then blend. It's on my brew schedule.

I definitely get some restrained fruit from FD, anyway--I'm sure someone will say I'm just reading "belgian-style" on the bottles, but it's there under those hops.

Back