German grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hilljack13

That's what she said!
Reaction score
I am planning on trying to get a lot of German style beers. I was just wondering what folks use for their malts. I initially found Weyermann and their website is pretty nice. Then I saw Bestmalz and the numbers for the grains I am looking at are very close.

Question is does anyone have a preference for one of these two over the other? Are there any other German Maltesers I should consider that I am not aware of?

Also, while ordering if my average per/lb is $2 after some sales and shipping, any reason to hold off buying?

I have used Bestmalz and Weyermann interchangeably, but my palate can't tell the difference in the beers. Others may be able to distinguish. If money's not an issue, you can't go wrong with Weyermann Barke malts.
I feel the same. Very subtle differences in some of the beers I had while in Germany.

I've had good luck with Weyermann and have used Bestmalz too. I'm with Max, not a huge difference but if I had to pick one it would be Weyermann as they have a lot more grains that I typically use.

From a buying standpoint, I would look at what you want to brew and try to buy in bulk to save on costs. You're still going to have smaller quantities of grain but if you can use the same base grains you could buy the sacks.

I've had good luck with Weyermann and have used Bestmalz too. I'm with Max, not a huge difference but if I had to pick one it would be Weyermann as they have a lot more grains that I typically use.

From a buying standpoint, I would look at what you want to brew and try to buy in bulk to save on costs. You're still going to have smaller quantities of grain but if you can use the same base grains you could buy the sacks.
Thanks. This is what I was thinking. Plus the main 4 grains I am looking at I have found in numerous recipes, not just GE ones.

I have used Bestmalz and Weyermann interchangeably, but my palate can't tell the difference in the beers. Others may be able to distinguish. If money's not an issue, you can't go wrong with Weyermann Barke malts.
I’ve been really digging the barke malts. I’ve tried each of them and currently have a sack of the pilsner and Vienna. Awesome malts

I’ve been really digging the barke malts. I’ve tried each of them and currently have a sack of the pilsner and Vienna. Awesome malts
Just added the Pilsner and Munich to my NB cart, for a Festbier I want to do. Really looking forward to this.

Where I work almost all the Germans are Avangard, a few from Bestmalz. I know nothing about either one - IIRC, before I left brewing, I worked almost exclusively with Weyermann and Durst. I think I understand Avangard is basically the supplier to the huge companies....is the quality poor? (Bestmalz, while we're at it)?

I love wyermann but it’s a little pricey. I’m currently working through a sack of avanguard and the beers have been more than solid.

I can tell the difference between the three ranking taste: 1. Wyermann 2. Avanguard 3. Bestmaltz IMO

What is the difference with Weyermann and Weyermann Barke? I have seen Avenguard. Is this a different German brand?

What is the difference with Weyermann and Weyermann Barke? I have seen Avenguard. Is this a different German brand?

Wyermann is one brand, Avanguard is a totally separate brand.

Wyermann has different options which include Barke varieties of pilsner and vienna to name a few.

My LHBS carries a variety of Avangard and Weyermann malts. I’ve used both and have been happy with both. I tend to use Avangard a little more often - it’s less expensive than Weyermann and I’m a fan of Vienna malt and can get Avangard’s Vienna a bit more readily.

I’ve tried Weyermann Barke Pilsner; it was good … but if blindfolded, would I be able to tell it apart from their standard Pilsner malt? With my palate, my money is on “no”!

I'd thought from NB that Barke was drawn from spring barley, and their normal barley was not. But while NB lists spring (see Pilsner), Weyermann lists that it is summer barley, so I don't know.

Would say if Weyermann is calling it a summer barley, then that's what it is. It's also a heirloom type of barley that was no longer really used anymore but Weyermann started growing it again and it became a hit. Two other rarer Weyermann malts out there are Eraclea, a pilsner malt grown in Italy that is fantastic in Italian Pilsners and the oldest German barley, Isaria 1924, that they have brought back to the market too.

Back