Will this be fine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just finished up with my 3rd batch, I picked up the Irish Red Ale kit from NB. This is the first time I've used grains and hops. The instructions call for using a pot that you can boil 2.5 gallons of water in. The biggest pot i have holds about 6 quarts. I followed the instructions in the kit, but one thing i did different, is i had a second pot with 1 gallon of water in it. When i pulled the grain bag out after 20 minutes from the first pot with the 6 quarts in it, i put the grains in the second pot and let it sit in that for 60 minutes. Once the 60 minute boil was done in the first pot with the added hops and LME, I added the two pots together into the primary and topped up with cold water to get my 5 gallons. In the end my OG was 1.044, right where the kit calls for. Just curious what impact having a smaller pot will have on the over all flavor / quality of the brew once its ready? Was putting the grain bag into a 2nd pot ok?

This will be just fine. It will probably turn out to be the same as if you had just one pot.

It sounds like you hit your numbers and you'll probably be happy with the outcome.

Actually, I just realized that you didn't mention anything about boiling the second smaller pot. Did you boil the water in the pot?

It's a good idea to boil any wort/water that's going to go into the fermenter. You'll still probably be fine if you didn't boil, but you don't want to press your luck with sanitation.

Back