Will off flavors present in the middle of fermentation clean up and disappear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
So I have a mixed fermentation sour brown ale going right now. I sampled the wort 2 days after adding some lacto brevis and the wort was at 3.7pH and smelled like my typical kettle soured wort. I then added belgian ardennes which took off within 24 hours. I just took a sample and the pH is now at 3.5 and the gravity is about half fermented from its OG of about 1.050. out of no where i am now getting a phenolic almost medicinal aroma and slight flavor that hasnt been present before. I am wondering if this is a byproduct of fermentation and if it will clean itself up by the time the beer is finished. Any insight?

Unless it's something really nasty, I don't take too much stock in flavor during fermentation. You'd be surprised at how terrible some beers are halfway through.

I wouldn't take much stock in fermentation smells. Hefe yeast gives off a horrible sulfur smell during fermentation but tastes great when it's finished. So I wouldn't worry.

I have a hefe fermenting away right now. The blowoff reeked like hot silent ass wind. Pulled a gravity sample, I always give myself a taste of the sample though the smell of the blowoff had me apprehensive about doing so this time....

Of course I did it anyway. Still tasted like a good sweetish fermenting wort

Back