Will my cider clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bh750

Reaction score
Hi
This is my first batch. I added pectin and hour before I added yeast.

Pitched 7 weeks ago. I think I'm ready to bottle.
It's Not clear and that's ok for my first batch.

But I'm noticing now the first inch or so of my batch looks really clear!
I'm thinking maybe after time it will clear completely?

It hasn't changed much over a week but I held off bottling to see what happens.

How long can a gallon batch take to fully clear?

Is this top inch of clearness the start of total clearing or something else?

it will probably clear. sometimes it takes a couple few months. I had a similar experience to you, and ended up making room in the frig for my 5 gal carboy, it hastened the clearing process a little. it did eventually clear up nicely though.

you may be given suggestions to add gelatin or some other super-klear(sp?) products that are suppose to help drag haze down to he bottom. I have tried gelatin once, and that worked for the most part within a few days, but maybe made the cider only 90% clear. Time has worked for me over the past few years since i started this hobby.

If it's starting to clear at the top, it will clear the whole way down. To hurry the process, you can place the cider someplace very cold (like fridge or a cellar), and it will clear faster.

Thanks!!! Right now it's in the cellar and 66 degrees.
It's only a one gallon Carboy so can easily fit in the fridge.

Ok so I'm still so new to this. It's my first batch.
My plan was to bottle next, back carbonate and sweeten a bit and let sit in bottles in basement. I'm guessing I still do that after it clears in the fridge?

Yes, but... carbonation and sweetening are somewhat mutually exclusive. You'll need a plan to do that - depending on your intentions. We can help.

Ok thanks all. My plan was this:

its currently in secondary racking just letting things age and settle. this week I was planning to:

- taste and possibly back sweeten with either some stevia or apple extract. I understand these alcohol based sweeteners dont cause fermentation/bubbling

- back carbonate using dextrose

- once I added the above I was going to bottle and let sit on the shelf in the basement for a few more weeks. then move to fridge.

But not it sounds like I can move to fridge now to help the settling? Or will that mess up my process?

Yes, you can use the fridge to accelerate the clearing process. Once it drops clear rack it again to your "bottling pot". Then you can sweeten, prime and bottle.

BTW for non fermentable sweetener my favorite is Xylitol. No aftertaste. For me, 3 TBSP per gallon is just right.

thanks!! yea I've heard of that. I may have that too. thanks for the tip.

But unless you are planning to force carbonate adding fermentables to produce CO2 will very likely result in some sediment dropping out of suspension and that sediment may be forced up inside the bottle as you crack open those bottles.

Update: I moved my brew to the fridge for a few days. Not only did it not speed up the clearing process it actually seems less clear than before. Maybe b/c I moved it (tried not to shake it).

Its most likely because it was moved. The sediment in suspension is so small that it takes virtually no disruption for it to move around. I'll begin to clear again. Patience is a tough thing when all you want to do is drink it.

Back