Will it be a kegerator or a keezer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elric

Reaction score
I just went and picked up a small (5 cubic foot) freezer... was trying to decide if I would be using it as a keezer or a fermentation chamber. After I got it home and unpacked I found a cool feature on it that has pretty much made me decide to use it as a keezer, though the feature now has me questioning if it will instead be a kegerator? See the deal is while it is a chest freezer design, it has two settings and can be either a fridge chilling between 1-10c or a freezer between -11/-23c. So I have the convenience of the chest freezer design, but can run it at fridge temps so I don't have to hook it up to the inkbird and worry that a malfunction might freeze my precious beer! For now I have my kegs in it with their picnic taps freeing up all the space I was hogging in the overflow fridge, but I will eventually buy some taps and make a collar to make it a proper keezer/kegerator!

I would still recommend hooking up the Inkbird to prevent temperature swings. Especially when fermenting. Still a cool feature to have though. 👍
If i use it as a fermenter I will, for just chilling my beer for serving I don't mind the temp swings though may still setup the inkbird (but leave it at fridge temps to make sure it doesn't accidentally ice over)

I use a fridge and got it down to freezing temps by disabling the internal thermostat and using my Inkbird. I only did it once to lager a kolsch. Makes me nervous that I'm going to kill the compressor.

Few days in gotta say I am impressed. I don’t have it plugged into my inkbird, but I do have the inkbird temp probe in a thermowell inside a bottle of water. Temperature has been staying at 41-41.1f. Nice consistent temps for the built in temp controller.

That is a cool feature. I have a chest freezer in the basement with an inkbird just for overflow refrigeration use--kegs, purchased beer, yeast mostly but it was really handy for the holidays and COVID too.

Latest posts

Back