Wildwest's brew lean-to (my almost dream build)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good.

Are you going to have an moisture barrier/flashing between the concrete and your house? It will rot that OSB very quickly and potentially cause some sort of mold and/or structural problem in the future.

Osb will be cut above the cement line. You guy's don't miss any thing.

Do you like apples? How do you like these apples? It's done. Finally, it's starting to come together. Not long now.

DSCN2606.jpg

Can you smell it? Breathe it in bro, that's pure jealousy in the air your smelling. Very Nice!

Bump.... How's this thing going?!

The outside is 99% done. I'm getting a trencher this week to put the electric in. Then once the rough wiring is done, I have an insulation guy coming, then the rest is up to me. So, slow but sure.:mug:

Not for nuthin but it's a lot nicer than a lean-to.

Well technically speaking, but thanks. The outside just needs one more coat of paint, which isn't a pressing matter. The hole is for a louvered exhaust fan which mounts from the inside, so the trim for it will have to wait until the rough electric is run. I will be installing an air conditioning unit farther down the wall (it will help break up the long drab space). If I don't do a cold room i'll have an air conditioned brew space. Don't mind the party cup and wood scraps, I was being lazy.:(

DSCN2617.jpg

Well the trench is dug and the wire is run! I now have a whopping 246 volts(checked with multimeter) of power running to the brew shed. For any interested, it's a 100 amp service. Now the fun begins.:mug:

Nice stuff Wildwest! Looking great. I'd love to see your setup and share some brews once you get it functioning. I'm pretty close by.
Keep it up and good luck!

Nice stuff Wildwest! Looking great. I'd love to see your setup and share some brews once you get it functioning. I'm pretty close by.
Keep it up and good luck!

Thanks. I would like to see your ditches setup. I'm still undecided on the best way to go, but it will be electric. I hope to be in the new place by late July,early August, if the money holds out.

Tiny bit of progress. I pulled the remaining old house siding off the wall. I decided to not put an 8' flat ceiling in, it seemed to stuffy. This meant having to build out my rafters to get the proper amount of insulation in. So I had to get 60d ring-shank pole barn spikes (6") and get to nailing! It's been a while since i've nailed these monsters in, and never upside down. I'm having the walls and ceiling blown in with cellulose, so hopefully by the end of next week, that and the rough electric will be done.

DSCN2622.jpg

DSCN2624.jpg

A little more progress. Some electrical (as much as I can run before it's insulated.) My 50 amp gfci came in and is installed. Rough plumbing is in. And the best part since no cold room, drumroll please................. A BAR and Urinal! Wohoo, welcome to WestEnd Brewery and Tapworks. Yup I'm putting in a 6ft. bar, and an enclosed urinal (at far left of pic). Now I can brew and sample in the same room(and pee). I will start another thread once the bar build begins. I plan on having a LCD hanging on the back wall.:mug:

DSCN2628.jpg

OMFG! You added a window!!

Maybe a couple more since it's not going to be a cold room? After all, you'll need to keep an eye on that zombie horde on brew days.

Insulators came today. They wanted the nailers on before they filled it up with cellulose. So as the ran the netting, I hurried behind and nailed up 2x4's. It came out beautiful. 7.5 inches in the wall (R28), and 10.5 inches in the ceiling(R40).

Those values sound high, but according to the mfg, their dry cellulose is R3.75 per inch. It's better insulated than my house! Should be a snap to heat and cool. The duct tape is my paranoia, thats slices where they put the hose through the wall to fill it, it's the same in the ceiling and it's not falling out at all.

DSCN2632.jpg

DSCN2633.jpg

Nice! That insulation is the good stuff. I should do something like that to my brewery... its so damnably hot. Just brewed last night, started at 7pm, but still it never got lower than around 95 in there.
I'll be interested to see how you arrange your air circulation and steam ventilation.
Looks good ! :mug:

Nice! That insulation is the good stuff. I should do something like that to my brewery... its so damnably hot. Just brewed last night, started at 7pm, but still it never got lower than around 95 in there.
I'll be interested to see how you arrange your air circulation and steam ventilation.
Looks good ! :mug:

Yeah it's nice not to roast, it was the exact same temp as my garage this morning, 74f, and stayed that temp all day, with the help of a small fan. I may never need to run the air conditioner. I have a 12inch louvered fan near ceiling height for exhaust. I hope that's good enough. Plus it will draw fresh air from the garage under the door.

Another update for all 3 people following this thread.:)
Rough electric is done, plumbing tomorrow.

DSCN2638.jpg

I'm following as well still. Still Jealous too. The wife has authorized me to build a 10x10 shed in the back yard for woodworking/brewing but I have issues with getting electricity to it. So I sit here and watch your progress and admire it. Its all coming along nicely, think I'll go grab a homebrew :mug:

Yup I've been keeping up on this myself.... need ... more... UPDATES!

I'm having a hard time convincing the wife to let me brew let alone build a monster permanent addition!

Yup I've been keeping up on this myself.... need ... more... UPDATES!

Ask and ye shall recieve! I got the plumbing tied into the hot water heater in the garage. I actually got it halfway straight. I will let sit overnight before strapping it down and releasing the water.

I do appreciate all the support, when your doing a big job by yourself, it's nice to have a cheering section. :mug:

DSCN2643.jpg

Ask and ye shall recieve!

DSCN2643.jpg

Sexy... The one thing I can't even do the basics for.... plumbing... I don't even know what you need to use to glue those suckers together... I feel so outta the loop...

Quick question... how long does that need to cure before it sets? The stuff I got says 5 days to be kept dry before use!!!

Quick question... how long does that need to cure before it sets? The stuff I got says 5 days to be kept dry before use!!!

The can say's 2 hours. It's made by oatey, and it's does all pvc pipe(red label)
This stuff requires you use a primer to clean the pipe, I use the purple tinted so you know the joints are cleaned. I don't know what you are using, that time is outrageously long! Actually plumbing is real simple once you give it a whirl.

Sexy... The one thing I can't even do the basics for.... plumbing... I don't even know what you need to use to glue those suckers together... I feel so outta the loop...

The best DIY tip I've found, ask your questions on HBT. Someone here knows everything.

Looking awesome WW.

The can say's 2 hours. It's made by oatey, and it's does all pvc pipe(red label)
This stuff requires you use a primer to clean the pipe, I use the purple tinted so you know the joints are cleaned. I don't know what you are using, that time is outrageously long! Actually plumbing is real simple once you give it a whirl.

Meanwhile most plumbers don't wait 2 minutes for it to cure.

I can't wait to see how this build finally comes together. And yes there are many more of us out there following this thread all jealous as hell because we know how quickly our SWMBOs would shut us down if we asked for permission. Hell, I brew outside under a tailgating-tent and I thought I was fancy, lol.

Keep up the great work! Good Luck!

New Member here and this thread is awesome!! I can't believe it isn't a sticky!

WW, the shed is beautiful, indeed; a dream!

Exactly what I want to do! An excellent primer for anyone planning a brew shed! Well Done!

New Member here and this thread is awesome!! I can't believe it isn't a sticky!

WW, the shed is beautiful, indeed; a dream!

Exactly what I want to do! An excellent primer for anyone planning a brew shed! Well Done!

Thank you. :mug:

Dry wallers were here today. One coat of mud down, two to go. I can almost smell the beer brewing.

DSCN2663.jpg

Drywall is done. I had them do a simple knock down on the ceiling. Next is the concrete staining, which i'm not looking forward to. Any tips on this?

DSCN2678.jpg

Back