Wild Rice Stout - please critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brocster

Reaction score
I am looking to create a new recipe that I will be entering into the Minnesota State Fair Homebrew contest this year. I want to enter into one of the Stout categories OR the Specialty Beer category, but am leaning towards the American Stout style.

Also, I am from Minnesota and would like to bring forward a style that has ties to the state, and Wild Rice is very Minnesotan.

Here is my recipe so far:

11 Gallons Batch
  • 20 Pounds 2-Row
  • 1.5 pounds Chocolate
  • .75 pounds Roasted Barley
  • 1.5 pounds Caramel 120
  • 1 pound Caramel 60
  • 3 pounds Wild Rice (potential SG .035 per lb/gal)

Using Wyeast 1056

2 ounces Chinook (12.5% AA) at 60
2 ounces Cascade (6.5% AA) at 20

Mash at 155 for mouthfeel and body, but with a thin mash at pure RO water to give a crisp feel. Big monster starter. Ferment on the low range of the temp profile (62 degrees) to reduce esters.

Estimated values at 70% brewhouse efficiency:

SG: 1.061
FG: 1.015
IBU: 50
SRM: 35
ABV: 6.3%

Any thoughts or feedack on this would be appreciated.

Thanks! :rockin:

I would encourage you to fool around with rice a few timesm, it is a tricky glob to get sugar out of.

I used rice syrup solids once, sort of like DME only D Rice E. Bleh.

I tried to convert the starch in rice on my stove top twice. Then I took the tour at the Maker's Mark bourbon distillery. They run 80% corn, in the mash tun at ~200 degrees for hours, like four hours. Then they lower the temp and add about 10% some hard eastern wheat that growns near the still, again a couple hours for starch conversion, then they cool it on down to 160 and add 10% barley. I am pretty clear on the 80-10-10 grist, the mash evolution was about 7-8 hours total.

I just use flaked rice from the LHBS now, and my efficiency stays good. Whenever I used rice grains in my mash tun my usual brewhouse eff went to hell.

wild rice is so different from actual rice, so I don't think you can sub one for another. Same goes for processes related. Two places for infomight be the gluten free forum and mosher's radical brewing other than that I don't have much for you brudda

Back