Wii

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to be big-time into game systems, but just don't have the time now. I played the wii a little at my uncle's house on Thanksgiving. He bought it for the kids. It's a cute system, but I consider it more of a toy than a true game system because it doesn't have the power or game selection that serious systems do.

It's a clever toy that every kid wants. They found a market that was under-served as the other systems were competing for the hardcore gaming audience instead of the kid audience. It was a good move by Nintendo since they haven't been relevant in the market for over a decade. Honestly, how many times can your repackage Mario without being laughed at?

...oh, and I still love the term Wii-tards for the fanboys that try to defend the system as a "true" gaming system.

Ó Flannagáin said:
You know what term I hate? wii60. I can't stand when people say that. It sounds like someone with a speech impediment trying to say 360.

Ugh, that annoys me too. What's even more annoying on that note is the toolbox that started the wii60 website!
PSwii bothers me too.

capcrnch said:
Lockport not being a big city might have helped you.

Last week I happened to be driving by a Target at 1am and noticed a line of people outside in tents.. That Target had gotten 15 Wii's in stock for sale the next morning and the line was there and full by 8pm!

They're still very tough to get. It's an incredibly popular system. I don't regret waiting all night long for mine. We have alot of fun with it.

I agree. Swmbo and I have wanted one since they came out. Las Vegas is completely dry. NO Wiis in stock anywhere, and when they do get a couple in, they are gone before they even hit the shelves.

My parents and sisters got us one for our Anniversary in little ol' Kingman Arizona. The guy had a whole shelf of them.

DUDES!!! The SWMBO just won a Wii Sports w/ Wii Play at a work raffle! She spent a total of $10 on tickets too. Sucks for the guy that put $50 worth in the box! Anyway, I get to play with it tonight when she comes home! I can't wait! Oh, BTW does anyone know if there are any learning games for wii children?

Okay, now a couple of folks here have mentioned that playing their Wii gives them a good workout...really true?

I know nothing about gaming systems, but you have piqued my interest with the whole possibility of a exercise angle. I saw the commercials and watched a couple of kids play a Wii at a store. I thought it looked like fun, but dismissed it. Now, the idea of breaking some workout monotony...hmmm...

Anybody have a comment on this angle for me?

Bedlam said:
Okay, now a couple of folks here have mentioned that playing their Wii gives them a good workout...really true?

I know nothing about gaming systems, but you have piqued my interest with the whole possibility of a exercise angle. I saw the commercials and watched a couple of kids play a Wii at a store. I thought it looked like fun, but dismissed it. Now, the idea of breaking some workout monotony...hmmm...

Anybody have a comment on this angle for me?

Play Wii Sports boxing for about 10 minutes if you have a chance. You can certainly work up a sweat playing that game.

Yeap, I played a few rounds of Wii Sports Boxing last night and I did get a wii bit tired. Take into consideration that my ass (along with the rest of me) is seriously our of shape.

For those of you looking for a Wii--- game stop has a raincheck program you can get in on--- go in and get your rain check and they'll call you when your unit arrives.

Although normally I dispise Gamestop and suggest you NOT give them money in this instance itmight be helpful if you are desparate.

Funny thing is that the president of Nintendo told everyone back in august he would not be able to meet worldwide demand for the product this holiday season. I have one and I enjoy playing it. I also have a copy of guitar hero, great game by the way, people are going out of their minds looking for that too for some reason.

BigNick73 said:
http://www.modchipcentral.com/store/home.php?cat=15

I have the wiinja myself, but be sure and get the wii first and open it up to see which ones you can use.

If you want to research it I'd say start at http://nintendo-scene.com/ and be sure and look up info on Datel's Drive Doctor, haven't used it but looks way interesting.

I was considering ordering the D2Ckey from them but they're in Canada and I heard that for some reason they don't always ship to the US. There are local guys that will do the mod but they want hella money.

Brewing Clamper said:
I was considering ordering the D2Ckey from them but they're in Canada and I heard that for some reason they don't always ship to the US. There are local guys that will do the mod but they want hella money.

Na, don't worry bout it I've had several xbox chips come from canada no probs shipping just takes a bit of time. Can't get em from US shops at the moment as far as I know they had a HUGE deal where whoever it is went and confiscated and basically shut down chip dealers in the US. Just whatever dealer you find, be sure and look em up on the various forums to see what they are like, the ones that are scams will stand out as will the ones that have really good service

You have a D2C chipset? Those are a real pita to install from looking at the pictures. It'd be worth whatever they want to charge to install it.

Look into the Drive Doctor, They released the wiinja firmware for it and you can change it later. Or see if its possible to install a PIC holder in there and get a PIC programmer then you can use YAOSM or one of the many other freeware versions and just rewrite or but a new blank chip ($2) when you want to upgrade. Not sure if these work with the D2C though.

There is a Wlip solderless adapter that's in the works or maybe released now

and for an idea of the solder job required on the newer wiis look here
http://nintendo-scene.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/argoninstallation.JPG

BigNick73 said:
...Look into the Drive Doctor,...

Won't work with D2C, which is what I have. I was thinking of doing the D2Ckey with the FlexPCB. Looks a lot easier to do, but I'm confident I could do the solder job either way, I'm just lazy. Anyway, I'll think about it. Thanks for the info.

BTW, if any of you do end up with a Wii and your remotes don't have that cool silicone jacket on them, don't go out and spend a bunch of money on them. Nintendo is actually giving away up to 4 jackets per Wii console that you own. They'll ship them to you free also. The only catch is that you have to give them the serial No. but if you register with Nintendo.com they'll have it anyway. Here's the link.

Back