Wii

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpucci

Reaction score
So, my kids have been asking for this for xmas and they are nowhere to be found! I see guys hawking these things for like $500 bucks on CL and Ebay.

WTF!

Who is stupid enough to pay MORE than 2X list for a video game!

end minor rant

rpucci said:
Who is stupid enough to pay MORE than 2X list for a video game!
Lots of people, I guess, otherwise they wouldn't be selling for that much.

Best part is, the Wii was released just 2 days shy of 1 full year ago. Wonder if it'll be sold out next xmas as well :p

What idiot stands on line for 12 hours to get one of them?
That is just absolutely moronic.

Yeah, me, SWMBO, and a couple friends camped out at Best Buy with 100 other people camped out all night. It was a giant party, until the temp dropped and we got some snow. Then the party ended, people ran to their tents or pulled their sleeping bags over their heads and tried to imagine they were in Hawaii.

3rd time i've done that. 1st time for the wife. She wanted to. She thought it sounded "fun"...

I dont really understand this Wii thing. I walked in to my local Game Stop or Game Crazy (whatever its called) in Lockport, NY 5 days before it came out and got put on a list. Got a call that my Wii was in a few weeks after it was released and have been enjoying it ever since. Not only that but a few months after that I saw signs at the counter saying "We have Wiis in Stock". Why are people unable to find them after a year? And its not like Lockport is a big city.

I also stood in line for one, was only 6 hours and they let us stay inside the Wal-Mart even fed us coffee and doughnuts. Read they've sold over half a million units in the last couple of weeks, so looks like everyone wants one for this Christmas too.

If you have trouble finding one, I've had some friends that have had luck calling the rural area Wal-Marts. You might have to drive a hour or so to get it but it's not too big a deal.

I love hearing about people standing in line over night when I just had to wait a few weeks and walk in at my convenience.

The underproduction of Wiis is an absolutely brilliant marketing scheme by Nintendo.

You can always try calling your local Best Buys, Wal-Marts, etc., and asking when their next shipment will be in. Then just stop by and pick one up. Sometimes the person you talk to won't care and wont' answer you, but sometimes you get lucky.

Talk to your local GameStop ... that's what I did. They called me when they had a new order coming in and I stopped by to pick one up. They can't reserve them apparently (company policy?) but they can tell you they are there ...

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
I dont really understand this Wii thing. I walked in to my local Game Stop or Game Crazy (whatever its called) in Lockport, NY 5 days before it came out and got put on a list. Got a call that my Wii was in a few weeks after it was released and have been enjoying it ever since. Not only that but a few months after that I saw signs at the counter saying "We have Wiis in Stock". Why are people unable to find them after a year? And its not like Lockport is a big city.

Lockport not being a big city might have helped you.

Last week I happened to be driving by a Target at 1am and noticed a line of people outside in tents.. That Target had gotten 15 Wii's in stock for sale the next morning and the line was there and full by 8pm!

They're still very tough to get. It's an incredibly popular system. I don't regret waiting all night long for mine. We have alot of fun with it.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
I love hearing about people standing in line over night when I just had to wait a few weeks and walk in at my convenience.

I could have pre-ordered mine, but SWMBO was so excited about camping out, that she talked me into it.

Camping out isn't too bad. We usually have alot of fun with it.
Had a great parking lot football game, we had our heaters, a TV, Laptop (thanks for the unblocked, wifi internet Staples!), tent, air mattress.. You would have sworn that we were going on a week long camping trip.
A group of guys that arrived just before us had a TV and their 360 there.. They played all night long in camping chairs and blankets.

During the 360 release, we had a couch, TV, BBQ, the whole 9. It was a pure tailgating bash.

I got bored of my Wii pretty quickly. I guess I like PS3/XBOX style gaming better.

I waited in line at Wal-Mart to get one last year. I doni't play as much as I used to, but I always get the newest Nintendo system when it comes out. I'm an old school Nintendo guy and as cheesy as it may be, I'm a sucker for the Nintendo only Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc.

One thing that I will say is that my kids play the Wii more than they've played any other gaming system that we've had. They love the interaction with the controllers.

I got mine on Ebay for $229

It took all day I just went to all the ones ending within an hour or so and Bid my max price ($10 over the store price) when I was out bid I moved to the next one... at 0500 Sunday morning I got up found one ending in 15 min bid and got it while the rest of America was asleep

Wii doesnt have enough good games out to really make it worth it.
How many do you need? The Wii is out selling the Xbox 360 and PS3 almost 5 to one, most of the games are coming available with the exception of the ones the Wii doesn't have the processing power for.

budbo said:
I got mine on Ebay for $229

It took all day I just went to all the ones ending within an hour or so and Bid my max price ($10 over the store price) when I was out bid I moved to the next one... at 0500 Sunday morning I got up found one ending in 15 min bid and got it while the rest of America was asleep

How many do you need? The Wii is out selling the Xbox 360 and PS3 almost 5 to one, most of the games are coming available with the exception of the ones the Wii doesn't have the processing power for.

The wii is selling as a toy, not as a gaming system. People who don't game are buying. Which is great for nintendo, but serious gamers like myself are pretty pissed off at the horrible selection it has right now.

I got one the other day. Don't tell my wife! A friend works at Best But and told me they were getting 100 in that evening. I only had to wait for them to unload the truck to get it. No mass hysteria or waitng outside. There ended up being a line inside the store because other people were also told the truck was coming that day, but it beat having to wait in line for the store to open. And I was within the first 10 in line.

Ó Flannagáin said:
The wii is selling as a toy, not as a gaming system. People who don't game are buying. Which is great for nintendo, but serious gamers like myself are pretty pissed off at the horrible selection it has right now.

Not true.
#'s don't lie. Hardcore gamers and people looking for a "toy" are both buying this game. I haven't talked with alot of hardcore gamers that said "im so pissed about the horrible selection"...
I hear more people ***** about the PS3 then the Wii... And before a line is drawn, I own all 3 systems and play all 3.

As for the Wii... It is what it is. It's a party video game system that has the capability to be more traditional....
Zelda was obviously a phenomenal game.
Metroid
Rayman 1 and 2
Mario/Sonic
Mario Party
Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy

SSB in a month

Thanks for the laugh, I have been gaming for years, I was a beta tester for Ultima online and Everquest (which I still play) I set up a Doom server on a classified network in the mid 90's that we played at lunch time at PAC Fleet.

You are a graphics gamer, I respect your views but think people like you miss the point. It is not about the killer graphics, it is about having fun, plain and simple. I can still have fun playing pong, digdug, pacman, missile command..... Cool graphics are ..well cool, but the bottom line is video games are about having fun and the Wii provides that, Who cares that the graphics arent the absolute top of the line? guys like you, but from a business standpoint Nintendo won this one by making a console that provides more fun and less frustration than the others.

So what if it is a toy? What is the purpose of toys? to be fun maybe? It succeeds at its purpose, and is out selling the others by a significant margin, which means simply, more people want to play the Wii than the PS3 or Xbox 360. You can argue fact all you want but it doesn't change it.

The Wii may have fewer "neato" graphics, but it sells way better than the others. It has games I play with my family therin lies its biggest selling point, it is for everyone not just the hardcore gamers

It's also marketed as a game that several people can play together face-to-face. A revival of the parlor game, if you will. It has that appeal for some folks.

If they ever release any of the GTA games for the Wii, I will have to pick one up. I just hope they put in an action for beating the prostitutes for their cash.

Though, I've heard the Lego Starwars has been?(will be?) released for the Wii and the lightsabers are controlled by the accelerometers.

We are planning on getting our sons one for Christmas this year if we can find one, but I'm not going out of my way to do it or spending above retail cost to get one. If we happen to get lucky and find one, cool, if not then I guess we'll go with Plan B and give them coal.

budbo said:
Thanks for the laugh, I have been gaming for years, I was a beta tester for Ultima online and Everquest (which I still play) I set up a Doom server on a classified network in the mid 90's that we played at lunch time at PAC Fleet.

You are a graphics gamer, I respect your views but think people like you miss the point. It is not about the killer graphics, it is about having fun, plain and simple. I can still have fun playing pong, digdug, pacman, missile command..... Cool graphics are ..well cool, but the bottom line is video games are about having fun and the Wii provides that, Who cares that the graphics arent the absolute top of the line? guys like you, but from a business standpoint Nintendo won this one by making a console that provides more fun and less frustration than the others.

So what if it is a toy? What is the purpose of toys? to be fun maybe? It succeeds at its purpose, and is out selling the others by a significant margin, which means simply, more people want to play the Wii than the PS3 or Xbox 360. You can argue fact all you want but it doesn't change it.

The Wii may have fewer "neato" graphics, but it sells way better than the others. It has games I play with my family therin lies its biggest selling point, it is for everyone not just the hardcore gamers

Thanks for telling me what type of gamer I am :D Yes, I like graphics, and I think the Wii screwed up when they stuck with Gamecube quality graphics. I don't play games just for the graphics, I play them because they either suck me in or they don't. I have played, and beat, every Zelda and Mario up until the wii. I just can't bring myself to turn them on and finish the games. They are good though, just not what they could've been. And, they are the ONLY 2 games I could play for more than an hour on the wii. I turned metroid off and traded it back to Gamestop because I really didn't find it fun at all. My wife, she loved them both and beat them both, but will tell you the same thing about the wii. Hardly any good games. And she's a serious Nintendo chick, won't even touch my ps3 or 360.

I played eq and beta tested eq2. But I really don't think that has anything to do with the wii sucking right now. SSBB will probably the only game for quite some time that sucks me in and I play constantly. But that won't be out til 18 months after the wii was released.

But I really don't think that has anything to do with the wii sucking right now.
Again you miss the point, WII sucks to you, but to the majority of people buying video games it doesn't. There are more people buying the Wii than the others. That says the Wii delivers what more people want. Just because it doesn't give you what you want doesn't mean it sucks. It just means it doesn't give you what you want.

If you don't brew the styles of Beer I like does that mean your beer sucks? umm no, it would mean you don't brew to my taste, nothing more, nothing less.

My point is: just because you don't like something doesn't make it suck, it makes it something you don't like.
The fact remains the Wii is far more popular than your preferred gaming venues. Does that mean you suck? I think not, it means your tastes are not what the majority wants.. that does not make them any less or more.

yes it it a pet peeve of mine to see/hear people say stuff sucks just because they personally don't like it. the arrogance involved in those attitudes shows a lack of maturity amoung other things.

the wii has its flaws but dont bash it until after you have watched a 77 year old man play wii bowling or a 78 year old woman play wii boxing
priceless

Saying the wii sucks is a little extreme. My wife and I represent to pretty different sides of the gaming spectrum and we are both disappointed with wii's current selection and their decision to make a less powerful system than what is available today.

To each his own, my friend.

I have heard that Toys R Us usually gets in about 80 systems a shipment, once a week. If you get there right at opening you should have no problem getting one.

Ó Flannagáin said:
Saying the wii sucks is a little extreme. My wife and I represent to pretty different sides of the gaming spectrum and we are both disappointed with wii's current selection and their decision to make a less powerful system than what is available today.

To each his own, my friend.

I think it is what you make it..
I'm a gamer through and through. I've been through every system and every genre of game.. I'm one of those rarities that hates FPS and roleplaying games. However, I love GoW, Resistance and the Halo series.
I'm a die hard Madden guy. I play at home alone, with friends and even enter tournaments... But I hate it on the Wii.
My wife isn't a gamer at all. She plays fighting games on other systems and jsut button-mashes... But on the Wii, she is in heaven. I can play Metroid, Galaxy or a VC game, but when she gets home from work and has the mood, we're playing Rayman, Mario vs. Sonic or something similar..
I love it because she is into it and has fun with it.
The workout + spending the time together playing, is worth every bit of the money I spent on it.

Like I was saying though, I don't hear alot of complaints about the Wii resulting in total negatives. I hear alot of people say that the library isn't great, but most of those people are happy in general.
I hear more people crack on the PS3 and its shady library.
I like my PS3, even as just a Blu-Ray, but I play Madden on it, Rockband (just picked it up) and/or a rented game here and there. If I was going to knock any system though, it would have to be that, but only for the less then perfect library.

Back