Wife's Birthday Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVBeerBaron

Reaction score
Here is the recipe I brewed this weekend for my wife's birthday. She likes Belgian beer and wanted something that also appealed to a general audience.

Wife's Birthday Saison (alt. working title: SHMBO Farmhouse Ale)

3lbs golden DME
1lb Belgian 2 row malt
1lb Vienna malt
8oz flaked wheat
8oz flaked oats
8oz clear candy sugar

1.5oz EK Golding 60 min
8oz Hallertauer 15 min
8oz Hallertauer 0 min (KO)

.10oz Crushed Paradise seeds
.15oz Crushed Coriander seed
The zest of four lemons
The zest of three oranges

Add these last four items with 10 minutes left to boil.

WLP 550 Belgian Ale Yeast

Bring 1 gallon water to 167 degrees, add grain in mesh bag, stablize temp at 154 degrees. Mash for 40 minutes. Heat 2 gallons to 170 degrees. Pull grain from the 1 gallon mash, drip dry and put the grain into the 2 gallons of 170 degree water to sparge, stir. Remove grain, let drip dry, combine worts. Boil, remove from burner and add DME and sugar, stir thoroughly. Boil and add hops. Cool in ice bath (30min). Transfer to fermentor while straining. Pitch yeast.

Looks tasty! Few tips: You want saisons to dry out a lot, so I'd do the partial mash at 150. If you can get a true saison yeast I'd use that as well. Wyeast 3711, WLP 566 and 568 are good.

Good luck!

Went to keg this brew last night and something was wrong. Overwhelming medicinal taste. Couldn't taste anything else actually. I'm still going to keg it and see what happens but this batch may end up watering the garden. I will be making this recipe again using glass carboy instead of the old bucket i used (i think that was the problem, old smelly scratched up bucket). I think the recipe has real potential, smelled and tasted great while brewing.

This beer was for the wife's b-day party this weekend. I'm wondering....I have this in the primary and it seems to be done fermenting. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/hopburst-recipe-please-critique-185479/ Maybe, just maybe i can keg this quickly and it mayyyyy be ok to drink this weekend (only 7 days fermenting).

does 8oz hallertau = 1/2oz hallertau?

Yes, it does. Sorry about that.

Update: I finally kegged this Saison last week. Some of the off flavor has gone but still tastes somewhat like wet cardboard. I'm not throwing this out just yet, I'll give it until the new year and see how the flavor changes. I still think something went wrong with my process.

Stupid question here, how did you get 5 gallons of wort? I only counted a gallon to mash and 2 gallons to sparge.

Stupid question here, how did you get 5 gallons of wort? I only counted a gallon to mash and 2 gallons to sparge.

This is a concentrated, extract-based wort. 2 gallons of water are added to the 3 gallon concentrate right before the yeast is pitched bring it to 5 gallons.

Latest posts

Back