Wife broke my hydrometer....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noremorse1

Reaction score
Yup... dropped it on the floor and said "I broke your thermometer" with no emotion what so ever. It was an expensive one too. Now I need a clever way to exact my revenge on her.

War of the Roses?

Not sure I want to encourage the kindling of a divorce but, drop her Blackberry in the toilet. Or, just take her simm card out.

Revenge? nah. just buy yourself a super-nice replacement - one of the ones with a thermometer built in.

better yet: get one of those brix things that only takes a drop to get a reading. yeah, they're only good for non-carbonated, prefermented non-alcoholic wort, but get it on the premise that it's more drop-proof. any excuse for a new toy!

Yep. Time for you to get a refractometer, and the full set of high end hydros from WIlliams Brewing with the stand. I mean, had she not broken that, it wouldn't be necessary.... but she did, and now you can't do without. ;)

T18.JPG

T59.jpg

THROW HER INTO THE POND!

I don't know why that's the first phrase that popped into my head...

Now I need a clever way to exact my revenge on her.

The moment has passed, but after she said "I broke your thermometer" you should have swiftly grabbed a broken piece and stabbed her in the face.

But that's just me.:D

not sure how much they are at you LBHS but at mine they're 5 bucks for a triple scale. Moments after buying my first one i took it out to look at it, then went to grab a few beer bottles with the same hand. I'm not sure why I thought this would work but the end result was a broken hydrometer, a bloody palm, and two broken grolsch bottles on my basement floor. As for revenge? how bout a nice stout (not your own of course, a guiness or something) that you accidentally pour on her favorite chair, side of the bed, or cashmere sweater. Then say oops! thats gonna smeel like beer for awhile. Oh, well I'd help clean it but i have to go look for a new hydrometer. bye!

THROW HER INTO THE POND!

I don't know why that's the first phrase that popped into my head...

I like where you are going with that one. I am thinking of an ice cold, 3 gallon pail of water on her head while she is in the shower complete with a loud "Congratulations" while I do it.

So what'd you do to get her so pissed off at you that she broke it? :D

(there's always two sides to every story...)

I had my supplies from the batch I just kegged drying after I cleaned them on a towel next to the sink. The measuring cylinder I use has a bottom that unscrews for cleaning. I had it dissembled to dry as well. Despite my telling her never to touch my home brew stuff unless it is to pull a pint off the kegerator, she likes to put my stuff "away" as she calls it. In reality it is a combination of where they do not go and hiding them. Well, she went to put my "thermometer" in the cylinder not taking into account the bottom was out. IT slid right through onto the kitchen tile.

Revenge? nah. just buy yourself a super-nice replacement - one of the ones with a thermometer built in.

I dropped one myself, and replaced it with one of those. The problem with the damn thing is that you need an extra tall testing vial that uses a ton of wort to do the test.

I dropped one myself, and replaced it with one of those. The problem with the damn thing is that you need an extra tall testing vial that uses a ton of wort to do the test.

really?! hmmm... thanks for posting. i never realized. i guess it ain't so bad to have to pop a thermometer in there for a few seconds...

better yet: get one of those brix things that only takes a drop to get a reading. yeah, they're only good for non-carbonated, prefermented non-alcoholic wort, but get it on the premise that it's more drop-proof. any excuse for a new toy!

+1 It would just make matters worse if did something as revenge- Just order yourself a nicer new one, and might as well toss in few other things, I mean if you're ordering online you might as well save on shipping- When it comes, it's just a replacement for the one she broke. :rockin:

Showing her the receipt for the new one might encourage her to not break it again. Of course I'm on my 3rd one and I'm getting the 'cheap' $7 versions and I still seem to break them....

You should really keep in mind what you are suggesting, considering you know nothing about the OP. What if his SWMBO is in her 50's?!?! That would put mom in the 70 range..... right? EEEEWWWWW!!!!
Stick with the sister would be my advice.

Yeah. Better stick with the sis. Ma'd prolly come by every week after that to break another hydrometer, and another, and another..........

:p

You should really keep in mind what you are suggesting, considering you know nothing about the OP. What if his SWMBO is in her 50's?!?! That would put mom in the 70 range..... right? EEEEWWWWW!!!!
Stick with the sister would be my advice.

My wife just turned 22 in August. I turned 28 yesterday.

Yes... I realize that when I was a freshman in college she was 12. :tank:

Showing her the receipt for the new one might encourage her to not break it again. Of course I'm on my 3rd one and I'm getting the 'cheap' $7 versions and I still seem to break them....

I managed to keep this one for over a year. Ahh well...

OK, here is what you do.....
First, unscrew the light bulb in the bathroom.
Next, Put Vaseline on the inside door knob of the bathroom.
Next, put Plastic Wrap over the toilet bowl.
Next put shaving cream on the toilet seat.

Now when she goes into the bathroom she will try to turn on the light, then she'll figure that the bulb is burned out, then she will set down to do her business. If she has been drinking heavy she won't notice the shaving cream.
You know what the plastic wrap will do... :D
What will freak her is the Vaseline on the doorknob because she won't be able to get out of thew bathroom.... Just imagine having to open the bathroom door and her having her pants, under ware around her knees and shaving cream all over her bottom.

I pulled this one off on someone when I was 12 years old, and it was funny as hell .... not to mention cruel.

Of course it may be a marriage ender.

My wife just turned 22 in August. I turned 28 yesterday.

Yes... I realize that when I was a freshman in college she was 12. :tank:

I am 42, and my wife is 29 so let's not talk about ages while I was in college.
Of course, we didn't meet until several years later, so I don't want to hear any crap about being a perv or anything!

OK, here is what you do.....
First, unscrew the light bulb in the bathroom.
Next, Put Vaseline on the inside door knob of the bathroom.
Next, put Plastic Wrap over the toilet bowl.
Next put shaving cream on the toilet seat.

Now when she goes into the bathroom she will try to turn on the light, then she'll figure that the bulb is burned out, then she will set down to do her business. If she has been drinking heavy she won't notice the shaving cream.
You know what the plastic wrap will do... :D
What will freak her is the Vaseline on the doorknob because she won't be able to get out of thew bathroom.... Just imagine having to open the bathroom door and her having her pants, under ware around her knees and shaving cream all over her bottom.

I pulled this one off on someone when I was 12 years old, and it was funny as hell .... not to mention cruel.

Of course it may be a marriage ender.

dude your godly....both my testicals would be someplace across the room or gliding on the tip of her shoe as shes kicking me if i ever pulled something like this. The ladies must love you

I was worried today, when the wife called me and asked me how to move the carboys so the furnace inspector could do his job! Seems like everything is ok.

Tell her you have to buy a nalgene hydrometer now, since those are unbreakable. They are rather pricey though....

So, I googled nalgene hydrometer since this was the first I had heard of such an animal. This was the first site I came to. Imagine my surprise when I added it to the cart to see what the price was and it came to $813!!! :eek: Then I realised it was per case...

Back