the correct way to disconnect tapped keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunnyJ

Reaction score
Hi!

I broke the tap on my kegerator but luckily, I have a dual tap system so I switched the line to the second tap. I had the C02 turned off but when I switched the line, beer started flowing out like crazy from where you screw in the line. I worked fast and got it but now, every time I pour, there is still a small leakage happening at the keg. I ordered a replacement tap and want to switch back to the first line with the new tap. I don't mind keeping it as is and just changing the tap once the keg is empty but I do want to fix the leak as I'm losing good beer every time I pour.

Essentially, what I'm asking is, what is the correct procedure to disconnect a keg so that I can troubleshoot? Is it just a one-shot deal where there is no way to do this without beer spraying everywhere? Do I just wait now until it's empty?

To troubleshoot a keg blockage I have vented out the pressure after disconnecting the gas. I also have transferred to another keg with a jumper.

Back