Why there is no brown glass or brown PET carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a brown carboy some time back. Was a vintage one from the chemical industry. I'd say it's because there is no commercial call for such a thing, because if there was there would be a supplier.

Personally, I drop a t-shirt over my carboys when I am not enjoying the lovely sight of fermenting beverages.

Can there be any issues from artificial light shining on a fermenting beer when carboy is transparent? Maybe it s less problematic when fermenting than once it is in bottle... We could drop shirts on bottles also. Ahah

From what I've read, skunking is only an issue after fermentation. As long as your clear carboy isn't in direct sunlight for extended amounts of time you should be fine. If your carboy is in the sun for that long I'm reporting you for beer abuse. Monster.

Light can impact fermenting wort as well as finished beer. Unless the carboys are in the sun or under direct fluorescent lighting it's likely not going to be an issue. Still, I do what I can for my beer and there's nothing good that comes from light and beer so I cover all of my fermenters.

I cut the bottom out of the boxes that my Better Bottles came in and a hole in the top. I just put it over the carboy while fermenting. I also have a fermentation chamber so light is not one of my concerns.

I'm just wondering why there are no brown glass or brown PET carboys? Anybody knows?

Because the manufacturers know that even though viewing your fermenting beer through clear glass shouldn't be an indication of fermentation status (nor should beer be exposed to the light), they can sell more carboys if people are able to see their beer and use it as an indication of fermentation status. Other than that, there are plenty of reasons why there are no dark carboys, like.... uh...., well there's.... uh....

Back