Diamond Lager yeast expired

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewskey

Reaction score
I got two packs of Diamond Lager out of the refrigerator last night that were much older than I though. Time flies... I know it's not usually a big deal for dry yeast to be expired, but this stuff is a darker brown color than I'm used to seeing in dry yeast. Never used this yeast before is that color normal? Pitched it anyway, guess I'll see what happens. Of course I didn't take any pictures....

Edit: Yeast expired in 2022

I pitched some yeast that expired in 2019 in December of 2023. It kicked off just fine. It all depends on how it has been handled. This was refrigerated the whole time and probably shipped in cool weather. It is worth refrigerating dry yeast.

I pitched some yeast that expired in 2019 in December of 2023. It kicked off just fine. It all depends on how it has been handled. This was refrigerated the whole time and probably shipped in cool weather. It is worth refrigerating dry yeast.
I got two packs of Diamond Lager out of the refrigerator.....

I had a pack like that last year. Expired in 2022. Noticeably darker than usual, for any dry yeast I've used, including baker's. Without any other options, I just pitched it and it performed as usual. I wondered if it was an off-spec batch, with lower moisture levels making it darker, but, if weighed as usual at packaging, with more yeast cells for your money.

I had a pack like that last year. Expired in 2022. Noticeably darker than usual, for any dry yeast I've used, including baker's. Without any other options, I just pitched it and it performed as usual. I wondered if it was an off-spec batch, with lower moisture levels making it darker, but, if weighed as usual at packaging, with more yeast cells for your money.
I'm happy to report that the spunding valve is hissing away, seems to be alive and well.

Make a starter to see if it still works.
I support making a starter. I have been successful using an expired pack of yeast, and I also have been kicked in the ass using an expired pack of dry yeast. Making a starter is a good way to go about it, besides you're probably underpitching with one packet of yeast anyway.

Why make recommendations without actually reading the thread? If you would've read the post right above yours you would see that the yeast is fine.
So that next time you make a starter before making beer to know that the yeast is good.

So that next time you make a starter before making beer to know that the yeast is good.
Been making starters for 15 years, but not with dry yeast. If I have to make a starter I'll just use one of the other strains I have on hand. For me, dry yeast is for convenience.

Been making starters for 15 years, but not with dry yeast. If I have to make a starter I'll just use one of the other strains I have on hand. For me, dry yeast is for convenience.
With expired dry yeast I always make a starter. With last pack, even fresh, I make 2qt starter. 1qt goes to the beer, 2nd qt I use to make 5-6x 15ml tubes for my frozen yeast bank. I do that like described in Freezing Yeast

This is my local Wiki:

1705518041500.png

With expired dry yeast I always make a starter. With last pack, even fresh, I make 2qt starter. 1qt goes to the beer, 2nd qt I use to make 5-6x 15ml tubes for my frozen yeast bank. I do that like described in Freezing Yeast
Why are you showing me your yeast spreadsheet? I really don't care. I don't make starters from dry yeast. Yes, I have a frozen yeast bank too, congratulations.

Why are you showing me your yeast spreadsheet? I really don't care. I don't make starters from dry yeast. Yes, I have a frozen yeast bank too, congratulations.
What spreadsheet? It is a table in a Wiki page.

I'm happy to report that the spunding valve is hissing away, seems to be alive and well.
thats great. was the pack sealed and kept cold the whole time then it doesnt surprise me that it worked. dry yeast is very forgiving and tenacious. also the best by dates on packages are more for sales or something . dry yeasts prolly last much longer than the expiration dates but thats not good for profits.
if i am ever in doubt i rehydrate it . im not saying make a starter, just rehydrate with like 100 ml of wort to proof it . just like bakers proof there yeast.

cheers

Yep, it is conveinient. If you are worried about the yeast, have another pack on hand. Starters are too much work for dry. Dry is much more dependable. I usually have several strains, and often a few of each. i will use the oldest pack, and the newer one is the backup. I had a very old wine yeast not start last year, but the second pack fired right up. Or I may have jumped the gun, but wine yeast is so cheap, who cares.

Back