Why is the accordion the awesomest instrument ever invented?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I understand it, the best sound an accordion makes, is when you throw it in a dumpster and it lands on a banjo!

btw, I play the banjo.

Well, it's pretty awesome because part of it looks like a piano. Doesn't sound much like one so that's a minus.....

It's Awesome 'cause of this!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=810638fCvrQ&feature=related]YouTube - Yoda - Weird Al Live Video[/ame]

If it weren't for the accordian, geeks like me wouldn't have our very own rockstar!!!

I love accordions. I want to learn to play one. They make for handy instruments when covering Flogging Molly.

I also want to learn to play bagpipes, banjo, and also to finish learning guitar someday.

I can't be the only one that listens to accordion music when I'm druck sometimes. Guess no one likes some traditional folk music every once in a while? Even you UK folk have the button box.

The accordion is bagpipes for people with ears.
LOL

I'm half-lit and the accordian rocks.... Revvy beat me to it....Wierd Al rules and is the new-king of the accordian....

The old king of the accordion was Frank Yankovic. He sold 30 million records and won a Grammy. Apparently at his peak he was on the road playing 325 shows a year.

The old king of the accordion was Frank Yankovic. He sold 30 million records and won a Grammy. Apparently at his peak he was on the road playing 325 shows a year.

*high Fives phissonkprs*

and iirc from the old 70's tv commercials..."He sold more records than Elvis, and the Beatles.....COmbined!"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3MZ4txLXnI&feature=related]YouTube - Frank Yankovic on the Johnny Carson Show[/ame]

My gramma used to play a squeezebox. That was kinda cool.

She really did, but I just brought it up for a little friendly post-whoring.......

No man. The awesomest instrument is the Juice harp. Really.

[Youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAXdzSYvpqs&feature=related[/Youtube]

I see your accordion and raise you a kazookelele!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pQVIvNwp6Y]YouTube - ROCK VERSION! KazooKeylele - Ukulele - The final countdown - ROCK VERSION![/ame]

I see your accordion and raise you a kazookelele!

Nah if we're talking awesome instruments, it has to be the Ontario Science Center's Hydraulaphone.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgU0OZkGhGI&feature=related]YouTube - Hydraulophone (water pipe-organ flute), Pachelbel's canon[/ame]

Quick Fact: Went to see Weird Al on a Thursday, and on Sat morning found out his parents had accidentally dies due to Carbon Monoxide poisoning when they lit the heater for the first time that year. Apparently the flue wasn't opened properly or something. I always thought it was cool that he would have them on his shows.

Remind everyone to double check your furnace and heaters this season! A friend nearly died once while running a portable generator. It can very easily sneak up on you.

Quick Fact: Went to see Weird Al on a Thursday, and on Sat morning found out his parents had accidentally dies due to Carbon Monoxide poisoning when they lit the heater for the first time that year. Apparently the flue wasn't opened properly or something. I always thought it was cool that he would have them on his shows.

Remind everyone to double check your furnace and heaters this season! A friend nearly died once while running a portable generator. It can very easily sneak up on you.

buzz kill!

I had never heard that before...wow, back in 2004...

buzz kill!

Sorry, just a quick public service announcement. I've got all of his albums and have been listening since days of 3D. I used to tune in on the Doctor Demento show on my all-band radio. I guess you all know what kind of humour I enjoy.

On a more positive note, Al kept on recording and is working on his latest, which has a single video released on you tube. I've never heard the original song, and don't care much for hip-hop/whatever they call it, but hopefully his new one is out soon!

Check out "Lasagna" for a showcase of some of his accordion talents.

Wow - I actually have one somewhere (I'd forgotten about it!). No clue how to play it though. It was 'left' to me by a friend of my grandparents.

I attended a workshop/performance by Weird Al, where he had two identical accordions; one with the American tuning, one with the European tuning. He said the difference was the American tuning tries to get all three reeds at the same frequency, whereas the European tuning sets them slightly off to broaden the tone. Certainly sounded better.

The accordion is bagpipes for people with ears. Not much of a recommendation really. :(

Cajun and Zydeco would be nothing without the accordion. It's an awesome instrument in the right hands. (Not those of Wierd Al.)

Bagpipes in the hands of a true maestro still sound like someone killing a cat!:ban:

Back