RIP Jimmy Buffet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dug his duet with Allan Jackson. Never a huge fan, but he was certainly instrumental in the laid back beach bum sound. And many would say Sammy Hagar kinda copied his persona and just make it a bit more rock sounding. Either way, great artist and a loss to the music world.

Saw Jimmy Buffet in the mid 70's shortly afterhis "Changes in Latitudes..." album was released. He was the warm up act for the Eagles, (who were touring their new album "Hotel California"). It was a smallish venue seating maybe 7,000. Great show, and Jimmy even came back out and joined the Eagles playing guitar and sang backup vocals on their encore song, "Take it Easy."
I've enjoyed his music through the years even though I'm not an uber-fan. RIP.

I am (was?) a long-time fan. Always one of the top ‘saved’ channels on Sirius/XM while cruisin’ the Interstate highways in the motor home. On the way to a tailgate today, the mood was not the normal, cheerful vibe, though the music was just as good. A little sad, bordering on tearful, and yet oddly at times a wry smile would break through.

They never play my two favorite Jimmy songs, ‘cause they’re too long (“Wheel Inside the Wheel” and “God’s Own Drunk”). Still the near continuous back to back soundtrack of his career was comforting.

“Souls ain’t born, souls don’t die,
Souls ain’t made of earth, ain’t made of water, Ain’t made of sky….”

He won’t make it ‘up to San Francisco for the Labor Day weekend show’ this time, but I’ll bet he’s jammin’ with one heavenly band.

Not in my musical wheelhouse but I appreciated his almost single-handed creation of a genre that at the very least will likely maintain a historic presence as the eighth inning "Sweet Caroline" sing-along in Fenway Park.

The first round next April will carry some somber overtones but I bet the crowd will give it their best shot in memoriam :mug:

Cheers!

Not in my musical wheelhouse but I appreciated his almost single-handed creation of a genre that at the very least will likely maintain a historic presence as the eighth inning "Sweet Caroline" sing-along in Fenway Park.

The first round next April will carry some somber overtones but I bet the crowd will give it their best shot in memoriam :mug:

Cheers!
I’ve seen the Sweet Caroline 7th inning stretch, but that song was originally by Neil Diamond (himself from Carolina), and has stretched to multiple venues besides Fenway.

BTW, they ruined left field when they installed seats in the Green Monster. Been there before and after, as well as the original Boston Garden and Yankee Stadium. Sometimes the ‘new’ is actually improved’ (thinking K.C.’s Arrowhead and Kaufman facilities over the old K.C. Municipal Stadium which housed many great Negro League baseball games).

But sometimes bigger just isn’t better. Or as Yogi Berra once observed, “Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.”

Cheers!
Sweet Caroline is a Neil Diamond song, Jimmy has performed it, usually only when playing in Mass though, or maybe even just when he played at Fenway.

Back