Why is Stone beer so good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG

Reaction score
1) It's hard to get in Atlanta 2) it's expensive 3) the bottles don't have paper labels..but damn, they are so good. Hopefully I'll get sick of this brand soon (doubtful) :tank:

Those Belgian monks are just trying to make us mad, too: 1) hard to find 2) expensive 3) champagne corks? doh!

I probably hold an unpopular opinion here, but I haven't been overly impressed by any of the Stone beer I've tried. Now maybe I'm getting old bottles over here, but there has been a definite lack of hop aroma and flavor in the Stone beers I've had.

I used to think it was hard to find in Atlanta as well until I (somewhat) stumbed into Jax Package in Cumming after visiting Taco Mac on Friday night. Left with their RIS, Old Guardian, Sublimely Self-Righteous, and Cali-Belgie IPA. They had all of the other normal offerings from Stone, but I can get that practically anywhere that's decent.

I probably hold an unpopular opinion here, but I haven't been overly impressed by any of the Stone beer I've tried. Now maybe I'm getting old bottles over here, but there has been a definite lack of hop aroma and flavor in the Stone beers I've had.

I know I am new here and all that, so not yet (if ever) part of the cool kid group, but I still have to say this, so take it in stride when I tell you you shut your whore mouth.

Lack of hops? Have you tried Ruination? Lack of flavor? I suggest you give Old Guardian a spin. Like it dark and chocolaty? Try the Imperial Chocolate Stout.

Maybe I'm biased as I consider Stone a local favorite as I live in San Diego, but I think that Stone Brewery puts out some really amazing beer. What you need to do is fly on out here and spend some time at the Brewery/restaurant here in San Marcos. Once you get this heavenly nectar right from the tap you will change your tune, and the food isn't have bad too, if not a little rich.

I'd be happy to host!

I like Stone for what they do, but I have to say they're probably 4th in terms of SD breweries for me. Don't get me wrong, they are VERY good at what they do, but not all their styles are my favorite examples of the style. For IPAs, I prefer Alesmith IPA, Sculpin from Ballast Point, and Green Flash to theirs. I could go on and on. However, I will never turn down a Stone beer. They have amazing QC, and when you get it fresh, there aren't many better breweries in the world.

As for them lacking in hops profile, well, that's just silly. Stone beers are anything but shy. You are likely getting old stock, and that's too bad.

I used to think it was hard to find in Atlanta as well until I (somewhat) stumbed into Jax Package in Cumming after visiting Taco Mac on Friday night. Left with their RIS, Old Guardian, Sublimely Self-Righteous, and Cali-Belgie IPA. They had all of the other normal offerings from Stone, but I can get that practically anywhere that's decent.

My supply comes from Total Wine near Perimeter Mall (in the old Comp USA) and while it's on my trek home up GA 400 getting off on Abernathy just isn't fun during rush hour. I'll prob just make it a habit of leaving work early on Fridays when I need more, I want to see if they have the Leviathan.

There are a lot of ways you could describe Ruination, but a lack of hops would not be one of them. :drunk:

There are a lot of ways you could describe Ruination, but a lack of hops would not be one of them. :drunk:

Which is what I've heard, and why I was completely suprised when it was quite underwhelming. I'm assuming you're all smart enough to recognize the difference between bitter and hoppy, right?

I probably hold an unpopular opinion here, but I haven't been overly impressed by any of the Stone beer I've tried.

Agreed. I've had several of their beers on tap and in bottles and I've yet to become a fan. Their well hopped beers (Arrogant Bastard, IPA, Ruination, etc.) are overly sweet, IMHO. And their Smoked Porter tastes just like a regular porter.

Besides, in Texas, at least, their beer is pretty expensive compared to the competition. I'd much rather buy a Sierra Nevada beer that I think is much better balanced and costs less.

My 2 cents.

I know I am new here and all that, so not yet (if ever) part of the cool kid group, but I still have to say this, so take it in stride when I tell you you shut your whore mouth.

Yes, we're all aware Stone has a lot of fan boys out there. Thanks for bringing that to our attention... :rolleyes:

Back