Question for those with 20cf oxygen tanks.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been using the little red bottles to add oxygen prior to pitching yeast for a while now; can get about 3 batches out of each one. They're about $16 a pop at the local hardware store, getting pricey. So I'm looking into buying a 20cf tank I can exchange at the gas place. What regulator works with one of those for brewing? What tubing to use? I have carb stones (don't remember the specific micron at this time) so I'm good there. Thanks in advance.

My 20cf O2 cylinder sports a cga540 type valve with a medical grade flow meter that these days sells for almost $250 (!) I paid less than half that 20 years ago. I use some left over Bevlex 200 solid PVC 3/16" ID beer line that fits the stainless shank of the Williams Brewing wand and the screw-on "nut and nipple adapter" (aka "Christmas Tree") oxygen fitting perfectly.

1693790848552.png

But there are much less expensive flow regulating devices available, such as this one that costs ~$35.

1693790870662.png

I don't know what the tubing size used with these would be - whatever cannula diameters are...

Cheers!

I used to use the little red cylinders but it never felt right, I limited the rate to .5l/min and only give 2min of oxygen for a 5gal batch I was able to get 30batches plus from a single can.

I use an infant oxygen regulator that has .12L/min and .5L/min setting.

I purchased a 15lb tank with a CGA-540 and found a dive shop to fill it with pure oxygen. If it is good enough to breath then it should be good enough for beer.
New 15 cuft Oxygen Cylinder | Gas Cylinder Source

I used some kegging beer line connect the regulator output to the oxygen wand.

Last edited:
But there are much less expensive flow regulating devices available, such as this one that costs ~$35.

View attachment 828586

I don't know what the tubing size used with these would be - whatever cannula diameters are...

I use one of these from eBay. I got some 1/4" silicone tubing on Amazon that fits with a slight stretch fit over the barb on this and a barb-MFL fitting. I put a "HEPA" filter from Amazon in line too.

Latest posts

Back