Why is my beer so carbonated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teganlt

Reaction score
Finished my second homebrew. It's supposed to be a a brown ale, but tastes kind of funny (not bad though), and the really weird thing is that as soon as I open the bottle it starts fizzing over. What could be causing the heavy carbonation? I know I didn't use too much priming sugar -- I brewed this from a kit that came with the right quantity already measured and packaged. Could there be a kind of sanitizer that causes this reaction? I live at a place where there is an industrial kitchen, and we have a no rinse sanitizer that I used. It was hassle -- I'm using StarSan from here on out -- but maybe that could have made it so bubbly? Thanks all!

Could be an infection. Could be the kit has too much priming sugar for the style, as they tend to simply package 3 or 5 oz corn sugar and put that in every single kit they make. You can certainly use that kit sugar, but you'll do yourself a favor to use one of the available online calculators to figure what you should weigh out for the batch at the time.
Could also be that it's not been 21 days at 72F then chilled well for 3-4 days prior to opening.

3 possibilities why your beer is over-carbonated:
1. Infection (which my also explain the funny taste). Wild yeast and bacteria can continue to ferment your beer beyond what beer yeast will. Add priming sugar onto this continuing fermentation, and you can get foamers.

2. You used too much priming sugar. Priming beer is dependant on both the volume and the temperature of the beer; the lower the temperature, the more CO² there is already and the less priming sugar you'll need. There are heaps of online calculators that will tell you the exact amount that you should be using.

3. Refrigeration. Are you chilling the beers for a few days before drinking them? If you just open them up, they will foam.

If the beer wasn't done fermenting, that could be it. A little too much priming sugar doesn't cause the beer to foam over in my experience--noted that you said you used the correct amount.
Plus one on the possible infection as well.
Without watching someone's entire procedure, diagnosing can be a challenge.

Thanks everyone! I'm gonna go with infection as the likely culprit, as that explains the off-flavor as well. I'll do a better job sanitizing in the future.

I think it was the bottles, because when I tasted the uncarbonated stuff it was good. I sanitized the bottles by running them through the SaniRinse setting on my dishwasher. How should I do this in the future to avoid infection? StarSan the bottles too?

Some swear by just running them through that rinse cycle you mention. Some bake them.
If the bottles are completely, debris-free and have been washed well you have a good starting point.
I do use Starsan with
1596135128375.png
and let them drip upside down in the clean, bottom rack of the dishwasher.

When I did bottle, I would clean them in the sink then fill with a little StarSan and shake them. When it came time to bottle I would once again shake it and dump the StarSan and fill. When you fill it will push the little foam left in the bottle out. Properly diluted StarSan is of no concern and should not be rinsed and is only effective when kept wet.

Back