Why is it advised to rehydrate dry yeast with distilled water and not with mineral-ri

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachment.php

That is so cool!

Cheers! (Poor li'l yeast...never had a chance to bud... ;))

That's really cool.

Is this what we are seeing?

• Single yeast cell
  • Exposed to distlled water
  • Cell lysis and the cytoplasm being extruded ito the media.

Yes this is a single yeast cell. This was after 10 minutes in distilled water. It is labeled with a fluorescent membrane marker that should normally just be visualised as a nice ring around the outside of the cell, the pressure had already damaged it giving the 'patchy' appearance. In longer videos the cytoplasm and cell contents keep being extruded for another couple of minutes before the whole cell breaks apart.

I remember how my mother when baking fresh bread would take the dry yeast add it to warm water with a teaspoon of sugar just to see if the yeast was good, I'm pretty sure this is how re-hydration got started, as I remember it was just tap water or even well water and in all cases it worked, you just let it set until you see a small layer of foam on top....I think people are getting carried away with the details too much...as Mike said years ago which i just love this saying ...."just do it"

are you talking about The Mike, as in "I wanna be like Mike"-Mike? or did you mean Nike?

I tend to agree with you a bit on this. And I think it's the one thing that the non-re-hydrators cling onto with dear life: "But there's just as much of a chance to screw up the rehydration for the newbie. So instead of rehydrating, one might as well just pitch two packets dry."

I think as long as you're using pretty warm water (I usually don't go over 10F of my pitching temps, just so that way I don't have to mess with trying to cool it down. But then again, I usually pitch a little warm, and the ferment chamber easily brings it the rest of the way), letting the yeast kind of "soak into" the liquid, then give it a few stirs to make sure that most of the clumps are gone, then I think you're doing better than just dry pitching. I just use the thermometer-in-the-tap-water method, wait until it's about 25-27C, then gather the 110ml, and pour the yeast on top. Wait about 15 minutes or so, then stir it around really well. I'm usually doing the stirring part while I'm chilling down the wort, so I'll stop stirring the wort for a couple of seconds to give the yeast a stir. I'll keep doing that until the wort is at temps. I suppose more scientific testing could be done, but I tend to think that this is going to be better than dry-pitching. Maybe the guy with that awesome gif can do experiments for us with different rehydration temps?

2) boiling doesn't remove chloramines and other amines compounds, are they affecting yeast

Whether chloramines affect the yeast or not, I don't want them in my wort to produce chlorophenols in the beer. I'm now using spring water, but when it's gone, I plan to use some of my campden-treated tap water. My tap water actually has chlorine, which shouldn't be a problem since I boil the water, but I would rather use campden-treated water just to be sure - the water department could decide to start using chloramines at any time.

Yes this is a single yeast cell. This was after 10 minutes in distilled water. It is labeled with a fluorescent membrane marker that should normally just be visualised as a nice ring around the outside of the cell, the pressure had already damaged it giving the 'patchy' appearance. In longer videos the cytoplasm and cell contents keep being extruded for another couple of minutes before the whole cell breaks apart.

Thanks for the clarification on the immunofluorescence. Beautiful imagery. Thanks again for posting it and explaining it in such detail. This is front page stuff. I would respectfully and humbly encourage you to share it this way. I'm sure this is not an isolated video you have. Really, a marvelous illustration of yeast abuse

Honestly, if it's one of the big name dried yeast of today the rehydration comes from the water in the wort. Same reason the big guys purposely make dry yeast that needs no starter or wort o2 boost to get them going

Just saying. (Does anybody still use that phrase[emoji3])

Honestly, if it's one of the big name dried yeast of today the rehydration comes from the water in the wort. Same reason the big guys purposely make dry yeast that needs no starter or wort o2 boost to get them going

Just saying. (Does anybody still use that phrase[emoji3])

No they don't... Well, my dad does, but he's typically using phrases like that 5-10 years after they've expired. ;)

Water in the wort is not the same as typical tap water when it comes to rehydration. This has pretty much been proven, yet the dry-pitchers continue to propagate this idea. Will your beer ferment out if you pitch dry, sure it's likely. Will it be the best beer it could've been? Probably not. But that's not the point. The point is that approximately half of the cells that you pitch dry won't be able to handle the osmotic shock, and will spill its guts into your beer. But even that is not the point of the thread. As I stated before.

It's ok to come in arguing whether or not to rehydrate in threads asking that question, but the OP did not ask IF he should rehydrate, but rather HOW he should do so WHEN he does.

Back