Why do people post recipes that they have never brewed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLP

Interactive
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Why do people post recipes that they have never brewed, so that others can brew them? I am browsing the internet for some clone recipes, and I keep finding people posting a recipe that they came up with yet they have never brewed. Do they expect others to brew them for them? I get it if you are asking for help, but what the hell?

I'm guilty of this from time to time, but it's always based on some recipe that I know, unambiguously, has turned out well.

That said, I think it's OK to post whatever recipe you want anywhere, even if you're just goofing around with a calculator or something. The thing that ticks me off is when I search for a famous recipe, say, Janet's Brown Ale or Denny's Rye IPA, and end up with seven out of ten results being stealth adaptations of the said recipe rather than the real deal.

When I say "stealth", I mean that they name the published recipe "Denny Conn's Rye IPA" while changing stuff without mentioning the changes elsewhere. It may be a good variant, but then again, it may not, and either way it's not cool when you're trying to calibrate with the original.

I don't know...

Often, the recipe is there to critique because the poster doesn't want to waste time and money if something is obviously bad. An experienced eye can detect fundamental flaws. So, often a poster just posts to solicit advice.

That being said, if a poster claims to have a finalized clone recipe, they should have the proof (successful brews).

I can understanding when it should turn out well based off of experience of a similar recipe that you brewed. I can understand looking for feed back. It just is beyond me that people would randomly post something to have people think that it is a worth while brewski. I got annoyed when looking for a Red Seal Clone, and found people posting a never tried recipe for it. I realize that it is their right to do so, just misleading. I''ve seen this quite a bit lately as I scan recipes for ideas. O well. I know to be careful, and ask for tasting notes prior to dropping any cash.

One of my pet peeves. Do not put a recipe in the HBT data base (or anywhere) without brewing it SEVERAL TIMES. If your want to post a recipe for feedback, then post it in one of the other forums. If you'll notice the directions for the recipe forum suggest a picture of the brew. I think that's to encourage people to at least make the stuff first.

Latest posts

Back