Why do my wheat beers smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywit

Reaction score
So I have just started doing all grain and well the 2 wheat beers have smelled. It is not a nice smell but not sour. The beer taste great it just smells funny. does anyone know why?

What does it smell like? Can you describe it?

Also, what was your brewing/bottling process? Ingredients? Type of yeast? Has this happened with other beers you've made?

We need more details to even take a stab at an answer.

Because you touch yourself at night!

Actually, the fermentation tends to stink pretty bad-- lots of sulfur. However, I haven't noticed any bad smell of the finished product myself, but I keg. If you bottle, perhaps it's a bit of the sulfur from the carbonation process?

When I did ectract they never had this aroma and the other all grain I have done do not smell either. It may sound strange but it smells like fruity protein. It is something I have never smelled before and can't put my finger on it. May be it is the switch to all grain and I am not used to it. Or maybe the esters?

Back