Why can't anyone spell the word 'Sale'???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheZymurgist

Reaction score
I think the vast majority of people that post on forums and CL say their items are "For Sell." But I've never actually heard anyone say the phrase "For Sell." When spoken, it's always said "For Sale."

WTF?

I hear "for sell" a lot. When I used to listen to a tradio show (I don't know why) people would say that all the time. It seems to be a rural thing.

I see listings in Craig's List locally that have Sells to Sale things

As in: Frige for sell. Must sale today. Make offer

Zuljin said:
I hear "for sell" a lot. When I used to listen to a tradio show (I don't know why) people would say that all the time. It seems to be a rural thing.

[Sidebar=] Some of the funniest radio I've ever heard has been Richard Christy prank calling that show. He's done it a million times and I never get tired of it. [/sidebar]

^ The one I find absolutely baffling is the way people screw up breathe and breath. People routinely write things like "The smoke was so thick I could hardly breath" or "it's not necessary to let wine breath after you open it." Maddening.

Hmmm... let's see:

-People who can't use the proper tense (i.e. I seen that before)
-People who use an apostrophe when pluralizing a word
-Mongeese
-People who use the improper homophone (specific cases already mentioned, but this is the generalization)
-People who use "whom" to sound smart but don't actually know when it is proper to use it

That's all that's coming immediately to mind, but there are a multitude of others that I notice but usually don't remember until I see it again.

P.S. They call me The Grammar Nazi. Not a grammar Nazi, but The Grammar Nazi. Hehe.

^ I totally get the rest - and believe me, as a classically educated effete snob it's about all I can do to live with the lot of humanity - but what do you have against "Mongeese"?

Cheers! ;)

I'm going to make a barely wine and name it Mongeese.

P.S. The ability to backspace, tab and left click one's way into any piece of text composed in a digital format negates the need for postscripts in such communications.

JonM said:
Loose vs. lose.

image-1317521306.jpg

nukebrewer said:
P.S. They call me The Grammar Nazi. Not a grammar Nazi, but The Grammar Nazi. Hehe.

My older daughter's first tattoo was [sic] on her inner wrist. She's a Grammar Nazi.
Please forgive the lack of italic. I can't seem to get there with my phone.

Hmmm... let's see:

-People who can't use the proper tense (i.e. I seen that before)
-People who use an apostrophe when pluralizing a word
-Mongeese
-People who use the improper homophone (specific cases already mentioned, but this is the generalization)
-People who use "whom" to sound smart but don't actually know when it is proper to use it

That's all that's coming immediately to mind, but there are a multitude of others that I notice but usually don't remember until I see it again.

just something 'Mercan to remember...

Hitler.jpg

I'm going to make a barely wine and name it Mongeese.

P.S. The ability to backspace, tab and left click one's way into any piece of text composed in a digital format negates the need for postscripts in such communications.

You're right. I should have adhered to the convention of prefacing the new information with "Edit:," but I did not and for that I am eternally regretful.

View attachment 150982
My older daughter's first tattoo was [sic] on her inner wrist. She's a Grammar Nazi.
Please forgive the lack of italic. I can't seem to get there with my phone.

Nice. That genuinely made me laugh. If you want to do italics on your phone you can either use the browser which will give you the full interface or in the app just manually type the tags around whatever it is you're trying to italicize.

just something 'Mercan to remember...

Well, Grammar Prime Minister doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, now does it? ;)

You're right. I should have adhered to the convention of prefacing the new information with "Edit:," but I did not and for that I am eternally regretful.

Nice. That genuinely made me laugh. If you want to do italics on your phone you can either use the browser which will give you the full interface or in the app just manually type the tags around whatever it is you're trying to italicize.

Well, Grammar Prime Minister doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, now does it? ;)

Ha! Yes. You could've put it all in the reason for edit box.

Why do people constantly add an 's' to the end of racist? Ugh. It's not a KKK convention.

And yes, I spend entirely too much time in the comment section of newspapers. I know.

I think it's 'Murican. As in 'Murica, which is a play on the colloquial pronunciation of "America."

I wasn't aware a Mercan was a thing. Can't imagine why anyone would use one.

Back