Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have done it. If you can put the butts over the brisket (the dripping fat helps to baste the meat). If you find a large enough butt you may not need to pull the pork early - they may finish up around the same time or close.

This is a great idea. Didn't even think about that when I did both.

This is a great idea. Didn't even think about that when I did both.

If you really want to test the waters, do MOINK balls and ABTs (both wrapped in bacon) on the top grate and put the wings on the lower great.

I won't tell you how good it is - just try it.

I've got a pork butt and a brisket on the bottom and 3 babyback racks on the top. Ribs will come off this evening, Brisket and pork will come off late tonight.

babyback-ribs-on-smoker-60783.jpg

How long does your brisket take? Is it a whole packer brisket? Or just the flat?

It's just a flat. I was going to do 2 pork butts, but on a whim I replaced one of the butts with a small flat. I think it will be done with the ribs, total of about 4 or 5 hours. Maybe less. I'm gonna foil it now (it just hit 170).

I wish I had the full packer on there, but I'm saving that for my first overnighter, sometime in the next week. Can't wait.

best smiley ever! never seen rib rolls haha good idea passedpawn

Skewer holds them together. Works great. I hate the rib racks. Ribs have some curvature in them and they just don't fit right in my rack, and when I try to get them out to turn them or remove them they want to tear. Those rib rings are really easy to just flip halfway through the cook. Got the idea from Chris at the Virtual Weber Bullet site.

It's just a flat. I was going to do 2 pork butts, but on a whim I replaced one of the butts with a small flat. I think it will be done with the ribs, total of about 4 or 5 hours. Maybe less. I'm gonna foil it now (it just hit 170).

I wish I had the full packer on there, but I'm saving that for my first overnighter, sometime in the next week. Can't wait.

So what is your process on the flat? 4-5 hours then back in some foil? I would like to throw a flat or 2 on the bottom rack while I do these 2 butts this weekend. I hate wasting smoker space!

So what is your process on the flat? 4-5 hours then back in some foil? I would like to throw a flat or 2 on the bottom rack while I do these 2 butts this weekend. I hate wasting smoker space!

Timing depends on the size of the flat, so going by temps, I let the brisket get to 175, then wrap in foil, then leave in till 190 - 200. I foiled after about 3 hours, and I'll take it off after 3 more. Something like that. I'll post pics of mine when it's done. The flat I have is under 2#. Wrap the foil so it collects juices, then pour those juices over the meat after slicing.

I just pulled the ribs off, lathered in KC Masterpiece, and foiled and resting. I'm leaving the flat in there for a while longer. I haven't even stuck a probe in the pork yet.

If you really want to test the waters, do MOINK balls and ABTs (both wrapped in bacon) on the top grate and put the wings on the lower great.

I won't tell you how good it is - just try it.

Mouth is watering. I have 4 shelves. I'll do abts on top then balls then butts then brisket on bottom. Holy crap. This will be epic.

This forum is going to make me fat. Awesome beer and awesome food. All made by me :D

Mouth is watering. I have 4 shelves. I'll do abts on top then balls then butts then brisket on bottom. Holy crap. This will be epic.

This forum is going to make me fat. Awesome beer and awesome food. All made by me :D

I make beer and barbecue all the time and my body fat is under 10%. I lift 4x/week and don't eat like **** every day. Moderation is key. Although, I've been drinking so much beer this summer, it's been unbelievable. I've never drank so much in my life.

I make beer and barbecue all the time and my body fat is under 10%. I lift 4x/week and don't eat like **** every day. Moderation is key. Although, I've been drinking so much beer this summer, it's been unbelievable. I've never drank so much in my life.

Yeah... I eat very healthy all the time. Once every couple of months I'll smoke up something sinful. I never eat fast food and I lift 3-5 times a week. I also swim in my pool and use swmbos elliptical. I'm about 15% bf. 6'7" and 225. Of course I am getting old so we'll see how this regimen holds.

I've seen your posts on untappd. LOL.

Homemade Eastern Carolina sauce
2839_100776887177_5543093_n.jpg

535807_10151126155327178_1083929729_n.jpg

My trimmed St. Louis-style spares (I sharpened the **** out of my knife for this)
35836_468385347177_4232137_n.jpg

Smoking cheese for smoked mac-and-cheese
381927_10150544647212178_2091499333_n.jpg

9499_10151647896497178_1774859900_n.jpg

734649_10151647896542178_1920530602_n.jpg

306715_10151265057877178_870767040_n.jpg

Brisket
556256_10151173995007178_1170732677_n.jpg

Chopped the point to make burnt ends
538200_10151173994567178_1641390598_n.jpg

Sliced
579843_10151173994447178_1825302464_n.jpg

Stuffed meatballs (with cheese)
422304_10150770385082178_221503672_n.jpg

Crack on a stick aka Short Ribs!
374886_10150668563577178_933928376_n.jpg

Homemade Eastern Carolina sauce

My trimmed St. Louis-style spares (I sharpened the **** out of my knife for this)

Smoking cheese for smoked mac-and-cheese

Brisket

Chopped the point to make burnt ends

Sliced

Stuffed meatballs (with cheese)

Crack on a stick aka Short Ribs!

All looks delicious! What's in yer ENC sauce? Nothing but vinegar and red pepper flakes, I hope. ;-)

chef273b said:
All looks delicious! What's in yer ENC sauce? Nothing but vinegar and red pepper flakes, I hope. ;-)

I add black pepper and salt. Red pepper flakes and cider vinegar!

I don't eat my barbecue with white bread (like I do when I'm in Alabama and Texas). However, I do serve it to friends in the plastic, red oval plates with wax/parchment paper like they do in real barbecue joints. :D

jkingery79 said:
Hey Remmy any chance for the stuffed meatball recipe?

Here is a blog I started over a year ago that has the recipe. Haven't updated it in a while!

http://remmysque.blogspot.com/2012/02/smoked-meatballs.html

passedpawn said:
What temps? How long? What wood? I need to try this.

Here is my smoked Mac-and-cheese recipe. http://remmysque.blogspot.com/2012/01/smoked-macaroni-cheese.html

I generally smoke cheese over oak (white or red) at 80F or under for about an hour to two. Cut the cheese up into as many chunks as possible so you get more of its surface penetrated with smoke. The idea here is to "cold smoke" the cheese meaning you just want to infuse it with smoke flavor...you obviously don't want to cook it hot and melt it.

Cuban style pork roast. Doing it with two picnics. Recipe from Cooks Illustrated, have made three times before and fantastic.

So here we go!! Prepared the meat for my first smoke tomorrow! So excited!

Thanks to everyone that posts here

image-3124989010.jpg

Gonna try some beef back ribs (never done) I have rubbed down tonight while I brew a Irish Red Ale in the A.M. tomorrow.

Doing some baby backs. A while back, I did some ribs with nothing but granulated garlic, olive oil, and powdered rosemary as a rub, and then no sauce or nuthin'. I forgot how good that was, so I'm doing it again.

Oh, and I gotta drink up some of last year's cider with that because the local orchard starts pressing fresh cider any day now.

Im not going to read through 130 page but I promise this is a fail-proof way to make some amazing pulled pork go to about 15:37 in the video. I always cut into softball size pieces, do a strong dry rub and smoke about 215 for 3-4 hours and then put it in trays like this guy does. Seal the pan up real good with plastic wrap and foil and I usually though it in the oven on low for a few more. I use a ratio of about 3 beers (your choice) to one empty beer bottle full of water for 2 butts. It always is so moist and never had a complaint!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Baby back ribs with a rub smoked for 2 hours on apple wood then wrapped in foil with some homebrewed saison back on the smoker just for low heat for another 2 hours. More pics to come

image-3196325901.jpg

Latest posts

Back