Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I damn near just bought this on impulse...similar in price to the BGE

cheyenne_hero.png

Ha! Saw that one too, but stayin married won the day. Especially since current one is only 2 years old. Or maybe only one. I got the oldz.

Doing my first overnight smoke. Put a 10lb bone-in pork shoulder in the WSM yesterday at 4:00 PM at 225F. It's been stalled at 180F since about 5 this morning. I'm trying to avoid wrapping it foil, just to see the difference (first few shoulders I wrapped to bust the stall), but this is maddening!

So, finally get through the stall? How did it come out?

Not me only my wife smokes meat in this house!

Alrigth, alright, I'm using my A-maze-N smoker on a side of pork belly, a double load, so 8-10 hrs of cold Applewood smoking. I also have a side of pancetta hanging in the basement.

Not me only my wife smokes meat in this house!

Alrigth, alright, I'm using my A-maze-N smoker on a side of pork belly, a double load, so 8-10 hrs of cold Applewood smoking. I also have a side of pancetta hanging in the basement.

I bet she does.

I damn near just bought this on impulse...similar in price to the BGE

cheyenne_hero.png

I don't think you'd regret it. I have a green egg and it is truly amazing. It has to be he most versatile and functional cooker available. Searing steaks @ a lazy 800* F to single fuel load runs of 24+ hours at 225* F.

The egg however is not indirect even with a plate setter. A stick burner is what everyone who doesn't have one dreams of and it's indirect, raw wood fired, smokeyheat is why.

If you're true passion is slow smoked cooks, the offset is your baby. If you don't have crowds to cook for and want the best of all worlds, you can't beat the egg.

Midnight smoke. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458970439.363618.jpg

Went with pecan and old HB what beer for the steam. Setting to 225, hopefully will let me sleep at least until 6 - 7 am. Not serving until noon tomorrow, so more concerned about not waking up early enough to not over cook this. Will remove and wrap at about 200 internal, let rest for a few hours, and pull close to serving time. Not the most ideal timing, but should work out ok.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458970572.997961.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458970582.151020.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458970590.073272.jpg.

HB = "Home Brew". Haha. A little drunk here, too. Noticed I wrote HB "what" beer, probably contributing to the confusion. Meant to type "wheat" beer. Lol.

Got a 9lbs butt rubbed down and resting to go on around midnight. Got to work a planned outage tomorrow morning so hopefully it stalls for a few hours.

I've got ~4lbs of Chinook and Steelhead curing right now to cold-smoke tomorrow while I brew a Smoky Scottish Ale.

Got a cookshack with PID temperature controller, and a cold-smoke baffle my Fiancee gave me last year. Does a great job at cold-smoking.
20150310_201424.jpg

I always wrap my meat after 4 to 6 hours of smoke. Everything I have read and experienced says after a point in the smoking process the meat will stop accepting smoke. What I do is pull the meat and put it in a foil pan with a mix of apple juice, apple cider vinegar, and some of the dry rub covering the top tight with foil. I don't concern myself to much with the temp. beyond 170 the meat is safe. I pay more attention to how the probe goes into the meat. When the probe goes into the meat with little to no resistance like sticking a knife into butter that has been sitting at room temperature and is close to 200 its done.

I seldomn wrap since we enjoy the bit of chew that a good bark adds to pulled sandwiches. Wrapping does a great job of speeding things up though.
I've relied on temp almost exclusively for pork however beef I do explore with a thermapen for tenderness. I have yet to be consistent to nail down a solid brisket smoke.

I use the same 4 to 6 hours of smoke for brisket and get a good smoke ring. You could try putting the butt in a hot grill for a short time after wrapping to build up a bark. I have not done that for a pork butt but I do that for my ribs to build up a little crust on the outside. Every minute or so I flip them until the outside is to my liking.

Threw a 7 lb brisket flat on a little bit ago. Prepped up some ABT's. Made one mistake though. Learn from me. Always wait to prep the ABT's until after you have put your contacts in. Geez. I feel like I have been peppersprayed.

Threw a 7 lb brisket flat on a little bit ago. Prepped up some ABT's. Made one mistake though. Learn from me. Always wait to prep the ABT's until after you have put your contacts in. Geez. I feel like I have been peppersprayed.

Hopefully still worth it in the end, but ouch! I've rubbed my eyes after messing with hot chiles before. Sucks! Makes my eyes burn a bit just thinking about it. Just be glad you didn't touch your junk...

1st ribs of the year on the Pit Barrel Cooker. Trying out a new rub.
The end of the finished rack on the left wasn't as burnt as the picture looks. It was a little burnt, but it was a thin flap on the end that I should have trimmed off, but didn't.

How was the rub???

Smoked Turkey PBC-style on the WSM (Why does this program turn my photos sideways?)

IMG_20160417_155721 (1).jpg

Latest posts

Back