Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Canadian bacon cooking in the oven after a couple of cold smoke sessions with corn cob pellets.

IMG_3042_zpsoiouvtpa.jpg

Same batch of cure, but this is a sample of the buckboard bacon I made at the same time.

IMG_3043_zpsbqzagyjy.jpg

Love our oven with the temp probe, set it and walk away. Come back a few hours later and it's done and cooled!

IMG_3040_zps9dwmcwzr.jpg
Our new 3,600W induction smooth top has the convection settings for the oven as well. Haven't tried it yet though. I smoked a 12.71lb young turkey & half a ham for Christmas dinner.Turkey was rubbed with olive oil, then salt & Herbs de Provence. Then smoked with Kingsford & pin oak 6 hours...
@ 1 hour, 35 minutes;

Done, but what's left!...

Just got a request for smoked pork butt - sliced rather than pulled - for NYE. I've done that in the past with great success. I just remove the bone, tie the roast, and rub with a little garlic and powdered Rosemary. Smoke over Apple wood until IT is about 170-180.

Did a pork butt this morning on the smoker, and there was still a bunch of fuel & heat so I put on a chicken after that and it's cooking now.

I thank this thread for the recommendation on the ThermoPro wireless thermometer, as it has completely transformed the way I use my smoker. I do agree about the clips. I don't know what equipment they were designed to work with, but they totally suck on my WSM. I can sort of get them to work if I fiddle with them, but I might end up making something myself.

EDIT:

I pulled the chicken off the smoker, and sticking it in the oven to crisp up the skin now. I forgot to take any photos of the pork butt throughout, and we've already eaten most of it for lunch, so this photo of the chicken will have to suffice.

hTfY2W6.jpg

I've had a big 'ol pork butt burning a hole in my freezer for a few months now. Need to thaw that sucker out and get smoking!

Got a request to bring my smoker to a party and smoke a venison shoulder and backstrap.

I figure I'll smoke the shoulder until it can be pulled and we'll cut the backstrap into medallions, wrap in bacon and put them on the smoker just long enough to get a kiss of smoke, then finish on a hot grill.

Doing baby backs and bacon wraped onion rings on my UDS this weekend. Not sure what i'll do as another side or two. Should be fun it's supposed to be -25C this weekend. I'll run the smoker while I brew a pilsner and a pale ale.

I have never heard of bacon wrapped onion rings and have no idea how you'd do that on a smoker, but I'm interested in hearing more.

I know. Stick it on there and smoke it. I want to do mac and cheese and lasagna too. I like hot dogs , hamburgers and potatoes on smoker. Onion rings brilliant!

I got the recipe from bbq pitboys on youtube. They are large onions cut into rings then wraped in thin-regular cut bacon then low and slow on the smoker for an hour or two till the bacon is nice and constricted. Then let them cool, batter in a nice thick beer batter and fry till golden brown. Friggin awesome. Combined with baby backs and i'll probably do some beans in the slow cooker and veggies and salad. The wife makes some awesome homemade dressings. I've also done mac and cheese and lasagnas before. It's the only way turkey is done at my house. Spatchcocked and cooked at 350, perfect every time.

I've got a 7 pound pork butt on the Green Egg. I smoked it over pecan for 2 hours at 275, now it's foil wrapped and will cook at 200 until I go to bed. Pork tacos tomorrow, asado dinner for Sunday.

I've got a 7 pound pork butt on the Green Egg. I smoked it over pecan for 2 hours at 275, now it's foil wrapped and will cook at 200 until I go to bed. Pork tacos tomorrow, asado dinner for Sunday.

I did the same thing while shoveling on Monday. Threw a butt on the smoker (though I went 250-260 for it). Does not seem as smokey as when I do it at 225 for 20 hours. Still good.

Well, does 120 chicken wing pieces over the last 2 weekends count?

Brined for 3 hours, sweet rubbed, smoked for 2 hours at 220 degrees in a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker

20-30 minutes in a hot (400 degree) oven to crisp.

None of them lasted thru the second quarter of the games.

Well, does 120 chicken wing pieces over the last 2 weekends count?

Brined for 3 hours, sweet rubbed, smoked for 2 hours at 220 degrees in a Masterbuilt Electric Smoker

20-30 minutes in a hot (400 degree) oven to crisp.

None of them lasted thru the second quarter of the games.

Details, Details! Care to share your Brine/Rub recipes? Any sauce afterwards?

I did some wings in the oven this weekend. Sprinkled with Dizzy Pig and California Cajun. 400 degrees for 45-60 min depending on wing size. Then the usual Franks Red Hot with a bit of extra cayenne mixed in. Meat almost falls off the bones.

Gonna through on some pork spare ribs, couple chicken birds, and roll some sausages on the barrel smoker Sunday. Have some neighbors over. Open taps.

Speaking of brined chicken...

I cure brined some wings and thighs for 48 hours, dry-rubbed them and then smoked/cooked them with charcoal and pecan. They come out really juicy, almost too juicy if that's possible. Going to modify the curing brine a little and do some drumsticks this weekend.

photo-66767.jpg

I just picked up my half hog from the butcher last night so I'm going to make some pulled pork tomorrow. I've made pulled pork a hundred times but never from an animal that was slaughtered just a few days prior. I'm interested to see the difference being it's so fresh.

Details, Details! Care to share your Brine/Rub recipes? Any sauce afterwards?

15 wings, tip removed and cut at the joint between the drumette and the flapper so 30 parts in total.

Marinate/Brine:
1 cup of Water
2T salt
1T honey
1T Hot Sauce or a spicey vinegar based sauce
Ground black pepper.
Put in small pot, bring to simmer to melt the honey.
Take off the heat and dump in another cup of ice cubes (or more) to bring the temp down.

Wings
Place wings in a 1 gallon plastic bag (or 2) and pour in chilled/cold brine.
Squeeze out all the air and seal.
Set in fridge for 2-3 hours.
Rotate/flip every hour or so.

2 hours before smoking
Open bag and pour out as much brine as possible
Fill bag half way with water, move the wings around and dump the water out.
Rinse at least 2 times, maybe 3. (cold water)

Place 2 layers of paper towels on a baking sheet, lay rinsed wings on paper, then another 2 layers on top.
Press down to absorb as much water off the skin a possible.
Allow to air dry as much as possible.

1 hour before smoking
Foil sheet pan or baking sheet,
Place wings on tray skin side down sprinkle LIGHTLY with rub

45 minutes before smoking
Flip wings to skin side up, sprinkle lightly again

30 minutes before smoking
I take my racks out and put them on a folded bathroom towel
Fire up the smoker to 200-220, throw in some chips (I use Cherry)
Put at least 2 cups of liquid (I use apple juice/water) in the water pan.
Set time for 2 hours and 30 minutes

15 minutes before smoking
Sprinkle the skin side of the wings with rub again

5 minutes before smoking
Place the wings skin side up on the smoker racks.

1 minute before smoking
Pop the smoker open, step back until the smoke clears and slide each rack into place.

Smoke 1 to 2 hours.

Set over to 400 degrees
A foiled sheet tray with a rack works best, otherwise use a foiled tray
Put wings on tray/rack skin side up and into hot oven.
Somewhere around the 20 minute mark, things will have either crisped up, or will be close.
My last set went for about 30 minutes, pull them and serve.

Notes:
I have not brined them overnight, but I'm guessing it wouldn't hurt.
After rinsing leave the wings out at room temp, mine never go back to the fridge
I take my smoker racks in the house place on a towel and pull the wings off.
My rub has lots of sugar in it, so I had some smoke at the 30 minute hot over mark, but no burning.
Wings in the back of the smoker may be a darker, richer color than the ones in the front, but they're all good.

My sauce is Pete's Wing Sauce mixed with some melted butter, otherwise it's straight up

Rub is brown sugar, white sugar, Kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper

These were instructions to a friend last weekend.

:D

^^Thank you for the recipe/techniques. I will give it a shot here in the next few weeks. I never tried brining my wings before.

Hi dstar26,

No I haven't, my assumption was that it wouldn't hurt, but I read your post about 48 hours and I'm interested in trying.

I find the brine pulls in the moisture which I think helps most during the final crisping at 400 degrees.

My MES does give me the nice bark that your cooker does, so I have to take the extra step.

But I will definitely give it a try.

Thanks!

I find the brine pulls in the moisture which I think helps most during the final crisping at 400 degrees.!

I agree...I put them over direct coals or wood fire (depending on the cooker) at the end to crisp up the skin and brining helps keep the meat moist. It's a great technique. Just have to watch the amount of sugar in the rub to prevent blackening. Putting sugar in the brine like you do (honey) works but can take time to get into the meat.

did (canadian bacon ) today morton tender quick and brown sugar in the fridge now for the 24hr wait then slice and try:mug:

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

Smoked some meat this weekend. How could you not when it's 83 out! Small 15# prime packer brisket and 3 racks of baby backs. Used pecan logs. 12 hours later after 3 family's ate this is what was left ;)

All trimmed up...

Leftovers....

Sent from my iPad

Back