Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a butt on the smoker since 7:30am. It just broke the stall. Wrapped it in foil and waiting for 202 degrees. I'm getting hungry :)

Stall on mine was brutal as well. 8.5 lb took 11 hours at 235. I bumped it to 260 for the last 75 minutes. Kids were getting hungry. :)

Doesn't wrapping it help make it to the stall go faster? I never wrap just set it in the electric smoker at as high as it it will go 4 pound takes 7-8 hours the electric smoker says 275 the probe inside says 250
They go right through the stall on a grill with indirect heat a little higher they're not as good but if you only have 4 hours this will do just add any high sugar rub late or it will burn

Yes wrapping is supposed to speed up the stall. I forgot to wrap until after the stall. I never used to wrap either until it came out of the smoker.. For pulled pork I like it better wrapped.

Cooked some Beef Chuck Ribs again. These are quickly becoming my favorite cut to cook. I love BBQ pictures so here's a bunch!

beef-chuck-ribs-in-package1-66368.jpg

Trimmed then dry brined for 12 hours.
chuck-ribs-dry-brine-66369.jpg

Slathered with hot sauce and rubbed with coarse black pepper.
chuck-ribs-slathered-and-rubbed1-66370.jpg

Got the fire going with 15 month seasoned Red Oak.
fire-prep-66371.jpg

fire-initial1-66372.jpg

Put the ribs on when the smoke went clean and targeted 275ºF.
beef-chuck-ribs-in-cooker-66373.jpg

4 hours in.
beef-chuck-ribs-4-hours-66374.jpg

Done after 7 hours.
beef-chuck-ribs-66376.jpg

beef-chuck-ribs-sliced-2-66377.jpg

I was thinking while chewing on an extra crispy bit of leftover burnt end from my first brisket smoke yesterday and realized that especially since I over salted the crust, it tasted quite a bit like bacon. I then started wondering if you could get a beef belly and what beef bacon would be like. The googles are not disappointing me so now I have to first teach myself to make pork bacon, then on to beef.

Anyone tried making beef bacon?

I just want to try making bacon in general..... but yeah get the the belly in cure it and smoke it

I was thinking while chewing on an extra crispy bit of leftover burnt end from my first brisket smoke yesterday and realized that especially since I over salted the crust, it tasted quite a bit like bacon. I then started wondering if you could get a beef belly and what beef bacon would be like. The googles are not disappointing me so now I have to first teach myself to make pork bacon, then on to beef.

Anyone tried making beef bacon?
Beef bacon sounds awesome. I'm asking for a slicer for Christmas so pork (and now beef) bacon are on the list. Thanks for sharing your epiphany.

I have decided to smoke a chicken this weekend. Was going to last Sunday but we forgot to defrost it. I love the holidays, smoked turkey for days..

I think I'll smoke a couple chickens. If I start the WSM around 1:00, that's a perfect time to have a cigar during the couple hours of daylight we have.

Then I can make smoky chicken soup with the carcasses. Due to travel, I can't smoke the Thanksgiving turkey, so this'll be a good substitute.

Hoping to do a brisket tomorrow. I'll need to take a look at the smoker first though, something went wrong with my last smoke and I ended up with a charred turkey breast.

Cooking some Beef Plate Ribs, a small 8 lb Packer Brisket and a tongue (by special request) tomorrow. From the looks of the replies here, there is a lot of smoking happening tomorrow!

21d0aea4_RestaurantDepot11-12-15.jpeg

Electric here so I smoke pretty much every weekend. I go through the stores grab any piece of meat I can find on sale. Last time they had Smithfield pork tenderloins with apple and bacon for five dollars and i bought 4 of them they are so good and only take 4 hours also i got this preseasoned hormel pork butt thing....i think its just the boston butt cut in front of bone so i will do that to. I rub everything with 2 tbl brown sugar 1 tbl salt only that way kids will eat it and it's pretty versatile. Anybody have any idea on rubs kids might like

What is the slicing issue?

I don't know what he meant, but for me, it's hard to get even, uniform slices like you do when you buy it sliced. We'll eventually get a slicer, but for now, the trick is to refrigerate before slicing, go slowly, and try to cut straight down instead of at an angle.

If that's what he meant...

Yes that's what I mean. My wife is notoriously horrible at slicing stuff. I love bacon, but I don't want bacon that's an half an thick and one corner, an inch thick in the middle, and a millimeter thick at the opposite corner, which is what happens with the bread now. It is a never ending battle of me fixing the loaf to actually be straight and uniform for a sandwich, only to have her mess it up again the next time she slices it.

If she does the same thing with bacon, I'll end up with slices that are burnt to a crisp at one and and still raw in the middle.

I don't know what he meant, but for me, it's hard to get even, uniform slices like you do when you buy it sliced. We'll eventually get a slicer, but for now, the trick is to refrigerate before slicing, go slowly, and try to cut straight down instead of at an angle.

If that's what he meant...

Do you have a recipe you could pass along for the rub also where do you find pork belly here in Denver I think you can only get it at Asian and Mexican markets. Maybe try a ruler to help keep your knife straight?

Do you have a recipe you could pass along for the rub also where do you find pork belly here in Denver I think you can only get it at Asian and Mexican markets. Maybe try a ruler to help keep your knife straight?

The rub or "dry brine" is salt, sugar, and pink curing salt (sodium nitrate). Mix the salt and sugar at a ratio of 2 parts salt to 1 part sugar. Then add pink salt in the amount of 10% of that total weight.

That's the basic cure. Then you can add other spices, like black pepper & bay leaves, maybe red pepper or garlic. You can also add brown sugar with maple syrup or bourbon (or both, I guess).

http://thejewelofthemidwest.com/2015/08/13/bacon-part-1/
http://thejewelofthemidwest.com/2015/09/03/bacon-part-2/

We have a store that carries pork belly, usually cut in 1-2 pound pieces. To get a bigger piece, you have to call ahead and ask them to cut it for you when they get their delivery.

The rub or "dry brine" is salt, sugar, and pink curing salt (sodium nitrate). Mix the salt and sugar at a ratio of 2 parts salt to 1 part sugar. Then add pink salt in the amount of 10% of that total weight.

That's the basic cure. Then you can add other spices, like black pepper & bay leaves, maybe red pepper or garlic. You can also add brown sugar with maple syrup or bourbon (or both, I guess).

http://thejewelofthemidwest.com/2015/08/13/bacon-part-1/
http://thejewelofthemidwest.com/2015/09/03/bacon-part-2/

We have a store that carries pork belly, usually cut in 1-2 pound pieces. To get a bigger piece, you have to call ahead and ask them to cut it for you when they get their delivery.

Thanks for the recipe! just let it sit for a week right. I have the pink stuff because I use it to make jerky with hamburger meat all the time. Yeah I think the kids would like the brown sugar maple bacon version. Score meat with a ruler to get it started then stick knife in score and finish but I really don't know.... I want to cure all kinds of stuff make hot dogs lunch meat Canadian bacon sausage but have mostly just been smoking

Thanks for the recipe! just let it sit for a week right. I have the pink stuff because I use it to make jerky with hamburger meat all the time. Yeah I think the kids would like the brown sugar maple bacon version. Score meat with a ruler to get it started then stick knife in score and finish but I really don't know.... I want to cure all kinds of stuff make hot dogs lunch meat Canadian bacon sausage but have mostly just been smoking

1 week should be enough if it's about an inch thick.

After it cures for a week, it's important to soak it in plain water or it's too salty. Then let it dry in the fridge overnight.

If you are familiar with smoking, that's the hardest part!

Yes that's what I mean. My wife is notoriously horrible at slicing stuff. I love bacon, but I don't want bacon that's an half an thick and one corner, an inch thick in the middle, and a millimeter thick at the opposite corner, which is what happens with the bread now. It is a never ending battle of me fixing the loaf to actually be straight and uniform for a sandwich, only to have her mess it up again the next time she slices it.

If she does the same thing with bacon, I'll end up with slices that are burnt to a crisp at one and and still raw in the middle.

Use a mandolin

Do you have a recipe you could pass along for the rub also where do you find pork belly here in Denver I think you can only get it at Asian and Mexican markets...

Around here Costco has pork belly. I use Morton's Tender Quick and Brown Sugar

015_zpsnluhktbd.jpg

Latest posts

Back