Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rubbed chicken thighs, love thighs!

IMG_0598.jpg

BadDeacon said:
Anybody ever smoke a beef round roast? Say in the 5-10 lb range? Have potluck this weekend and wanna try something new.

Yes. I would smoke it in a foil pan sitting on a bed of onions with a bit of beer or stock to keep it moist. They dry out quick.

Anybody ever smoke a beef round roast? Say in the 5-10 lb range? Have potluck this weekend and wanna try something new.

I did a large one sous vide in my electric HLT. It was superbo. Sous vide is great because you lose no juice. Cooked overnight.

I agree with Melana, it could definately dry out. I'd do it exactly as she said, and put foil over the top as well (at some point, maybe after the first hour, which is when you'll get the smoke infused into the meat).

Wife just bought a 12.8# pork shoulder from Costco, so I know what I'm doing this weekend!

I think I may slice it in half before smoking to increase surface area and get more bark (and to reduce cook time)...

Wife just bought a 12.8# pork shoulder from Costco, so I know what I'm doing this weekend!

I think I may slice it in half before smoking to increase surface area and get more bark (and to reduce cook time)...

Last one I got from there said whole but was deboned, so you might not have a lot of work

Good stuff, brother. Good stuff.

I didnt have as much time as I wanted to smoke them, so after a little over 2 hours for the ribs and an hour and half for the ABT's, I had to finish them off in the oven. This was payment for a buddy of mine replacing my window motor, it was getting late so I had to finish them. ribs turned out a little moist then I like them but they both still turned out great :rockin: Needless to say, we finished it all!

More buckboard bacon.

This one was dry cured.

I'm using the tube smoker, in my old weber grill. The smoke is a bit hot, as pix taken when I just started. I adjusted the flow to thin it out a bit.

Its not hot enough for thin blue smoke, as this is being done as a cold smoke on a cool evening.

photo 3.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 1.jpg

I think I am going to do a couple of racks of ribs. Wonder what I should throw on with it? I hate leaving smoker space unoccupied!

Those are definitely on the list. Was thinking more something I could pull and and vacuum seal for later. But ABT's would go nice with the ribs.

Add in a lil smokey and you got it!

Btw, I'm smoking a 6# round roast and a small brisket at the same time tomorrow!!

Throw in a brew day and a nap and I'd call it great!!!

chef273b said:
Just what is this ABT? From the pix I've seen looks like half a jalapeno stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon. Am I close?

Google atomic buffalo turds and you got the recipe.

Sitting here at 1:36 AM with a cigar and a homebrew, and my Maverick telling me the smoker is at 228 degrees and the meat is at 77. Listening to some tunes in absolute peace while my kids and wife are all asleep.

I may not be at 100% tomorrow without sleep, but dammit I'm enjoying myself right now!

Man I have the duty this week. No alcohol, No overnight BBQ, No fun. Only 19 hours left and then I'll join you. You never know how good it is till you can't have it!

I got a cedar planked venison meatloaf on the grill. When it's done I'll throw on a pic.

Back