Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there any holidays/occasions that prompt smoker sellers to discount their wares between now and father's day? I don't suppose anything goes on sale around valentimes day?

I'm wondering if there is any benefit to waiting to order a new smoker that didn't go on sale for black friday through after Christmas.

Checking warranty, it seems that the heat deflectors are only warrantied for 3 years--and I've had the grills WAY longer than that. One head deflector for the Big Joe has been cracked through for a long time and the other has some visible cracks but hasn't separated, and the Joe Jr head deflector is cracked in half as well. I almost never use the one for the Joe Jr so I'm just going to pitch it. But for the Big Joe I use them all the time so I'm trying some cheaper ones from Amazon ($50/for the set vs $90 from KJ) to see if they'll hold up.
FYI the knockoff heat deflectors arrived today. Overall seem decent, but they are DEFINITELY thinner than the KJ ones. I'd say the KJ are probably a full 5/8", these seem like 1/2" thick.

Whether that proves to be meaningful either in their ability to spread heat or whether it leads to them cracking sooner remains to be seen...

Are there any holidays/occasions that prompt smoker sellers to discount their wares between now and father's day? I don't suppose anything goes on sale around valentimes day?

I'm wondering if there is any benefit to waiting to order a new smoker that didn't go on sale for black friday through after Christmas.
The fall, end of bbq season is the best time since demand is lowest and they want to clear space

Nearly 30 lbs of pork butt w/ cherry and apple wood. Dry brined over night (pic 1) put on this morning. Released so much moisture the water pan is full. All that humidity probably slowed down the cook. Wrapped in butcher paper to finish off (pre-wrap pic 3) Once done will hold at 180F and shred tomorrow. Pulled pork sammies w S Carolina mustard bbq sauce tomorrow w meat for enchiladas for a buddies bday next weekend. Red/pork and beef/tomatillo/green.

Attachments

• 9BC3A31D-54C6-457D-8D9F-C5472BF61312.jpeg
    9BC3A31D-54C6-457D-8D9F-C5472BF61312.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 49C45A76-8EE3-44D9-B7AA-807014950A19.jpeg
    49C45A76-8EE3-44D9-B7AA-807014950A19.jpeg
    807.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 803AB187-19D8-432A-B583-988FE6A872D0.jpeg
    803AB187-19D8-432A-B583-988FE6A872D0.jpeg
    479 KB · Views: 0
pork belly maple cured, smoked, and sliced. BLT not pictured.

View attachment 839268View attachment 839269

Okay, that looks like what, a 9" slicer or so? Per the other thread I just replied to, one of the biggest things I want for cutting bacon is a BIG slicer that won't have any trouble with the size of a full pork belly...

What's your slicer? How does it work for bacon? And is there anything that you need to do to work a slab of meat that might be slightly "too large" for your slicer?

Thanks for sharing.
Very close to what I use. My recipe calls 1/2 a tsp less curing salt, 2 tbsp cracked pepper, and 2 tsp garlic powder. Cure for 10 days and soak in fresh water for an hr before setting the pelicel and smoking.

I prefer hickory for smoking but may try apple for round. Do you let rest before slicing?

I have 5 lbs maple and 5lb malassass pepper in bags curing now to smoke Sunday.

@betarhoalphadelta you might want to look for some local online auctions to see if you can find a used deli slicer. It may take some patience but there are deals to be found if you find the resources. I found a few sites for estate/business closures and one that liquidates assets for retailers like Amazon, HD/Lowes, and such.

I found a real deli grade 10" slicer for under $100 compared to the $250 my cousin paid for his for @ cabela's. Sadly he burned his up slicing bacon that was a bit "too" frozen after just over a year of use. That is not a concern for mine, and it has no issues with a fully frozen slab.(Not that I did it on purpose, but it has happened that a slab or 3 were delayed for a week before cutting)

Personally, I suggest getting the real thing vs a lighter duty one for a savings.

Okay, that looks like what, a 9" slicer or so? Per the other thread I just replied to, one of the biggest things I want for cutting bacon is a BIG slicer that won't have any trouble with the size of a full pork belly...

What's your slicer? How does it work for bacon? And is there anything that you need to do to work a slab of meat that might be slightly "too large" for your slicer?
haha! Not my slicer. I've put off getting a slicer because 1) I have SO many kitchen gadgets, and worried about spousal rebellion. Also, I tend to buy "only the best", which means one that weighs a LOT.

My neighbor got this one for Xmas. Seems really cheap, light, etc. However, it sliced through my bacon no problem.

Cousin has 11lb brisket on his smoker, should be ready about 5pm.

20240204_180142.jpg

I have 5 lb cheese, mozz, pepper jack, and cheddar, on mine doing cold smoke. That only takes about 1.5 hours though. Did 2 hours last time and it was just a bit heavy on the smoke so cut back this time 'round.

Last edited:
It's a camp chef vertical pellet smoker. I have a chicken and some ribs in the fridge I'd like to smoke tomorrow.
Which model? I have been eyeballing then for a while.

That being said, picking up a dual pack of pork butt from Costco tomorrow and getting some pulled pork for the game.

The XXL Pro. It isn't exactly what I was hoping for, but it ticked most of the boxes I wanted. From the sales information I've checked, my main complaints are the 350° max temperature, and the insulation isn't as good as it could/should be.

There is an insulated cover available that was designed for a previous version of this smoker, but I don't think they're in a hurry to make one for this specific unit.

The XXL Pro. It isn't exactly what I was hoping for, but it ticked most of the boxes I wanted. From the sales information I've checked, my main complaints are the 350° max temperature, and the insulation isn't as good as it could/should be.

There is an insulated cover available that was designed for a previous version of this smoker, but I don't think they're in a hurry to make one for this specific unit.

Looks very cool. And like you'll have plenty of capacity...

One of the things I loved about my old Masterbuilt propane smoker was the cabinet style design--I could fit a MASSIVE amount of food in that thing. As much as I love both my Big Joe and my Traeger, they are both limited in capacity relative to a cabinet style smoker.

For a dedicated smoker I wouldn't worry much about 350 max temp... That should be hot enough to get you good skin on chicken, and there's not much else that I'll try to smoke at 350 anyway (although I do run my pork butts hot & fast).

400°F would have been good for making sides, but I'll live. I should be able to cold smoke in this thing, and I'd rather have cold smoked cheddar than mac and cheese made in the smoker.

Finally started the inaugural smoke. Two sets of pork ribs smoking with hickory. I'm not using the "solid fuel" box in this unit yet so I can just get a good idea of what the pellets contribute on their own.

No finished pics, but here is an early pic of a bunch of ribs I smoked up for the superbowl. I cold-smoked these for an hour before turning on the heat. Nom nom.

View attachment 841655
I love those smoke tubes! I use a GMG for smoking but I have an old propane smoker cabinet that I keep around only for cold smoking.
I’ll cold smoke whole chicken for a couple of hours, then throw it on the GMG.

Latest posts

Back