Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I ended up getting. I wanted to go offset but also wanted to not break the budget. Had good reviews and I liked the reverse flow feature.

https://www.oklahomajoes.com/highland-reverse-flow-offset-smoker
View attachment 817215

Being delivered on the 21st.
Cool. I have been thinking of moving on to one of those. One of my workmates has one and loves it. I am just not sure how tough it would be to keep temp. If you can, post your review when yo use it a few times.

This is what I ended up getting. I wanted to go offset but also wanted to not break the budget. Had good reviews and I liked the reverse flow feature.

https://www.oklahomajoes.com/highland-reverse-flow-offset-smoker
View attachment 817215

Being delivered on the 21st.
Good choice, helpful hints, put a disposable pan in to catch drips. It makes it easier to clean. Also put a wired temp probe at the Grate level. The dial at the top will be a different temp. Once you figure out the differential you can then go with just the dial. It may be 50 or more degrees higher than the Grate. Great choice!

Fired up the CookShack Fast Eddy 120 today. I still need to replace the connection fan and igniter (used a small butane torch to light the pelletsO which the replacement parts have been in the box since last year, but daubing a simple pork shoulder for pulled pork tomorrow. I usually get pork butts for pulled pork but the shoulder was free from Shop Rite for an Easter Week promo Great to have Fast Eddy back in use after a long sleep. I also have a WSM 22 which gets more use but being Easter Sunday I wasn't going to try to find a store that sells Royal Oak and Wood Chunks.

The before picture:

70274250089__113F0CF6-506F-4C29-AD5E-4EB51A5768DC.jpeg

I will return to edit to post the final (it's wrapped and still cooking).

F898C9B3-0965-4EE6-AF84-4661618B9119.jpeg
22E555DD-3C56-45DB-9AAC-041873E0EA06.jpeg

Last edited:
My neighbor loves the free stuff on Craiglist and rebuilt a free Traeger that he gave me.. it seems to have trouble keeping the temp, I put in a new an controller but it still is about 50 degrees off, I think the auger is going on it BUT I did smoke some wild caught Columbia River salmon my other neighbor gave me.. since this was done a couple weeks ago I did order a Grilla Grill Silverbac...cannot wait to really start smoking meat.
20230326_135656.jpg

Fired up the CookShack Fast Eddy 120 today. I still need to replace the connection fan and igniter (used a small butane torch to light the pelletsO which the replacement parts have been in the box since last year, but daubing a simple pork shoulder for pulled pork tomorrow. I usually get pork butts for pulled pork but the shoulder was free from Shop Rite for an Easter Week promo Great to have Fast Eddy back in use after a long sleep. I also have a WSM 22 which gets more use but being Easter Sunday I wasn't going to try to find a store that sells Royal Oak and Wood Chunks.

The before picture:

View attachment 817260

I will return to edit to post the final (it's wrapped and still cooking).

View attachment 817281View attachment 817282

I've done this a few times now and recommend saucing with. mix of apple cider, cayenne, more rub and Blues Hog Original sauce. Even though I have many medals saucing with tradition BBQ sauce, I am finding that heavily cutting it with apple cider vinegar (and a bit more seasoning) is so much better. Blues Hog has a lot of things going on so a little goes a long way with it.

You can always put a bottle of sauce in the side for those who want more if that sweet ketchup stuff

My neighbor loves the free stuff on Craiglist and rebuilt a free Traeger that he gave me.. it seems to have trouble keeping the temp, I put in a new an controller but it still is about 50 degrees off, I think the auger is going on it BUT I did smoke some wild caught Columbia River salmon my other neighbor gave me.. since this was done a couple weeks ago I did order a Grilla Grill Silverbac...cannot wait to really start smoking meat.View attachment 817717

looks good. It's not unusual for a cooker to read one temp near the units built in probe and another elsewhere. Put a cheap oven thermometer in there so you know and of course many probe thermometers come with a BBQ probe in addition to the meat probe. So long as the difference is consistent you can make the adjustment and never look back.

just loaded a full rack of beef ribs into the BGE. will add some baker taters in about an hour, and also have a tri-tip going in with the taters.

tri-tip will come out when it hits an internal temp of 110F so it can be seared on the grill over coals

should make for some good eats later tonight

1681686208004.png

Last edited:
just loaded a full rack of beef ribs into the BGE. will add some baker taters in about an hour, and also have a tri-tip going in with the taters.

tri-tip will come out when it hits an internal temp of 110F so it can be seared on the grill over coals

should make for some good eats later tonight

View attachment 817860
What brand of probe do you use? I use a Meater, but the ambient temp sensor may have been a little overdone at some point, it's not even remotely close to the thermometer temp on my Egg, and even in the oven it can be over 150 degrees off.

What brand of probe do you use? I use a Meater, but the ambient temp sensor may have been a little overdone at some point, it's not even remotely close to the thermometer temp on my Egg, and even in the oven it can be over 150 degrees off.
I have a BBQ Guru UltraQ and use its pit and 1-3 food probes. I used a DigiQ for many years, and upgraded to the UltraQ a month or so back.

DigiQ and UltraQ food probes are within a degree or so of another (don't remember the brand/model) food probe I've used for years. haven't done an a/b on the pit probe vs unremembered probe to see how they align, but I anticipate it'd be right there with the other probes on the DigiQ/UltraQ

I had been considering the Meater, but decided I'd go with the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth UltraQ so I can monitor remotely when running an errand or stuck on a Zoom call (home office is around the corner from the BGE, and the cinderblock walls are pretty good at eliminating the Bluetooth signal from making it there)

I like the Thermoworks "Dot" model. Obviously it's not going to send via BT or Wifi, but with the Kamado Joe, I know temps are going to be rock solid once stable, so I just need to check it every now and then.

I got an Inkbird that I think I saw mentioned here (reg 99, on sale for 49 from Amazon, w/ 4 probes and either WiFi or BT) quite some time ago. I should probably open the box at some point 😂

I've got a two probe Bluetooth inkbird and it seems to be fine, had it a year.

Did this last weekend, pork shoulder that I cured for collar bacon, pork belly strips that I made into belly burnt ends and eight or so chicken thighs. Smoked with chunks of Auchentoshan whisky barrel staves and some hickory.

IMG_20230415_170849442_HDR-01.jpeg
IMG_20230415_171015783-01.jpeg
IMG_20230416_091247330.jpg
IMG_20230415_170048129_HDR-02.jpeg

I had never heard of a bacon rib. Now I’m gonna talk to my local butcher to see if I can get that cut.

The rib discussion starts at 8:23.

I’ve never had a desire to visit Texas, until now.

I had never heard of a bacon rib. Now I’m gonna talk to my local butcher to see if I can get that cut.

Interesting. Where to find that cut might be tough, but if you're willing to sacrifice it being on the bone, you could basically just use pork belly and get roughly the same effect in my opinion.

It looks like it's cured like bacon, smoked whole (probably to normal bacon temp of 160, then sliced thick and smoked again (like ribs until fully tender).

If you've never cured your own bacon, I recommend it. I'm overdue to do it again, and maybe it would be nice to try making bacon ribs.

I was thinking the same. Cure a pork belly, slice in 1-2” strips, smoke and glaze w maple syrup.
Maybe wrap towards end.

I haven’t cured a pork belly but I’m always up for something new. My brewing has slowed down (just not drinking fast enough) so this fills the void.

Here is a vid from the actual BBQ joint.

I was thinking the same. Cure a pork belly, slice in 1-2” strips, smoke and glaze w maple syrup.
Maybe wrap towards end.

I haven’t cured a pork belly but I’m always up for something new. My brewing has slowed down (just not drinking fast enough) so this fills the void.

Here is a vid from the actual BBQ joint.
Awesome! Thanks for passing along the vid. I think this would be an excellent way to do it, because you're probably not going to smoke an entire 10# slab of pork belly this way, unless you're feeding a MAJOR crowd. And I prefer to buy pork belly in one full slab at Costco, because it's a heck of a better price than I'm likely to get from the supermarket or a butcher. But one slab of pork belly could make a bunch of bacon AND however many bacon ribs you want for a single dinner from a single cure/smoke. Or you can cut off a portion of the belly separately for some pork belly burnt ends, which are delicious too.

For bacon, I use this to calculate the cure: DiggingDogFarm

If you read sites like AmazingRibs, they'll crap all over a calculator like this because it's a "dry" curing calculator. But it's really not. Dry curing is when you leave something exposed to the air. If you put the slab of pork belly in a vacuum seal bag or a big zip-lock and squeeze out the air, the moisture in the pork actually makes it a "wet cure" even if you don't add additional liquid. I usually just do the salt/sugar/curing salt mixture and then grind a bunch of black pepper on the outside. But I've done it other ways, breaking a belly into three smaller pieces and making flavored bacon (per the AmazingRibs recipes).

You can find pink salt a bunch of places. I think I bought a pound of it (enough to last the rest of my life) on Amazon for cheap. Only thing to remember is that pink curing salt and Himalayan pink salt aren't the same lol.

I generally cure for 10 days (will sometimes go 14 if I want to cure it on a weekend and then smoke it 2 weeks later on a weekend). If you cure using the proportions from that website there's really no need to rinse it, unlike the video where they really cured it hard. Smoke it as-is until 155-160 degrees.

From there the hardest part of bacon is slicing. If you don't have a meat slicer (or don't have one large enough), you have to do it by hand, and it's not the easiest thing to do to cut uniform slices. I do it, and just try to do my best...

But just slice up as many "thick" slices as you need for a meal of bacon ribs, then slice the rest and vacuum seal / freeze in individual portions for cooking bacon, and you're in business!

I'm gonna be putting pork belly on the next Costco list.

Awesome! Thanks for passing along the vid. I think this would be an excellent way to do it, because you're probably not going to smoke an entire 10# slab of pork belly this way, unless you're feeding a MAJOR crowd. And I prefer to buy pork belly in one full slab at Costco, because it's a heck of a better price than I'm likely to get from the supermarket or a butcher. But one slab of pork belly could make a bunch of bacon AND however many bacon ribs you want for a single dinner from a single cure/smoke. Or you can cut off a portion of the belly separately for some pork belly burnt ends, which are delicious too.

If you read sites like AmazingRibs, they'll crap all over a calculator like this because it's a "dry" curing calculator. But it's really not. Dry curing is when you leave something exposed to the air. If you put the slab of pork belly in a vacuum seal bag or a big zip-lock and squeeze out the air, the moisture in the pork actually makes it a "wet cure" even if you don't add additional liquid. I usually just do the salt/sugar/curing salt mixture and then grind a bunch of black pepper on the outside. But I've done it other ways, breaking a belly into three smaller pieces and making flavored bacon (per the AmazingRibs recipes).

You can find pink salt a bunch of places. I think I bought a pound of it (enough to last the rest of my life) on Amazon for cheap. Only thing to remember is that pink curing salt and Himalayan pink salt aren't the same lol.

I generally cure for 10 days (will sometimes go 14 if I want to cure it on a weekend and then smoke it 2 weeks later on a weekend). If you cure using the proportions from that website there's really no need to rinse it, unlike the video where they really cured it hard. Smoke it as-is until 155-160 degrees.

From there the hardest part of bacon is slicing. If you don't have a meat slicer (or don't have one large enough), you have to do it by hand, and it's not the easiest thing to do to cut uniform slices. I do it, and just try to do my best...

But just slice up as many "thick" slices as you need for a meal of bacon ribs, then slice the rest and vacuum seal / freeze in individual portions for cooking bacon, and you're in business!

Thanks for all the great info. In a few months I will try this and report out. As of now, I have several large cuts of meat currently taking up real estate in the freezer. My wife may harm me if I add another project.
Btw- The Leroy and Lewis Yt channel is a wealth of info on new school Q.

Momy is gone for the weekend so us boys decided to bake burgers. My oldest wanted to make one big one out of 1.5 lb of beef. It held together,cut it up, and made for good burgers. Also the oldest was teaching the youngest how to grill too. Got to start them young.

And, mesquite chips where added for some smoky flavor.
20230421_181850.jpg
20230421_180750.jpg
20230421_182201.jpg
20230421_182512.jpg
20230421_183430.jpg

Attachments

• 20230421_183447.jpg
    20230421_183447.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

I have a Grilla Grill Silverbac coming in a couple days and doing exactly this as my first cook. Got my bacon curing now..
20230420_172336.jpg

Smoked a 13 pound brisket (flat only, cap removed) loading in on Sunday late afternoon. Sea Salt and cracked black pepper for the dry rub, Post Oak wood chunks for smoke in the BGE. Low and slow @ 225F on the smoke for a bit over six hours, but a on/off wind storm was wreaking havoc on holding consistent temps so I made the call at 9P to move the brisket inside and finish unwrapped in the oven.

I dropped the temp to 220F from 10P until this morning at 5:30A, when I bumped the temp up slightly to 225F until I het inside temp of 197F @ 7:15A. Unloaded from oven, wrapped in foil, and loaded into a cooler to rest for several hours. Slicing up today around lunchtime. I have a toothpick (top middle of image) set to mark the grain, aligning with the slicing direction once the brisket has properly rested.

Load in:

IMG_E3620.JPG

Out of the oven and ready to load into cooler:

IMG_E3622.JPG

striped bass jerky recipe

comes out great everytime

perfect with ice cold lager

3-4 pounds of striped bass filets or any white fish. tuna works well also

cut into strips - cut out the bloodline first
cut it against the grain not with the grain or it falls apart

1 cup of kikomans original teriyaki
1 cup soy sauce (low sodium)
2-3 cups of dark brown sugar dissolved in as little water as possible about 1/2 cup makes it into a slurry
most recipes call for 1 cup . the secret to good fish jerky is double or triple the sugar
2-3 bay leaves

the rest of the ingredients are optional but ive found they really add to the flavor

2-3 cloves chopped garlic or 3 tablespoons powdered the fresh is better
1 clove sized piece of peeled chopped ginger
1 tablespoon each of ground black pepper and red pepper flakes
tablespoon honey
lemon zest from half a lemon

marinate 24-36 hours then dry in oven at 215 for 2 hours then on the smoker for 2 hours over cherry or applewood pecan also works

perfect everytime

Smoked a TriTip last weekend. 220 for about 3 hours. Lost track of time as my buddy came over and tried my newest hb. So, the temp of the meat got a bit away from me. Used Hickory, but very sparingly. It actually turned out really good. Nice pink ring on it and not overpowering. This weekend might try some ribs. Trying to get back into smoking as it is a cool way to do nothing and have a good excuse. LOL.

Back