Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grocery had 10lbs of legs for $4.90 so made some chicken lollipops, using roughly this recipe. They turned out great!
F3DB273C-ACE8-49C6-8CF1-FB9032D8DE94.jpeg

smoked a 10# butt on Saturday. It was on the UDS at midnight, went to sleep for 5 hours. Woke up, lit a basket of coal, wrapped, and back to bed at 6AM.
10 hour cook and I was only present for 3 of them. I know my cooker well, brew day will never be that easy!

Next up: Going to throw some chickens on the hooks and use the leftovers for pizza and eventually Brunswick stew

Smoked a 5 pound butt yesterday for some pulled pork. Don't know if it was because of the humidity in my neck of the woods yesterday or what, but the internal temperature stalled at 170 F and absolutely refused to budge. I wound up having to pull it off the smoker and finish it in the oven back in the house to reach my target internal temp of 190 F.

Wrapped or no? My last "unwrapped" butt stalled for 5 hours and I refused to wrap it. That was a 15 hour cook, I now wrap the shoulder LOL

It was wrapped when the internal temp reached 160 F, per the recipe I was following from a video on Malcolm Reed's 'HowToBBQRight' YouTube channel. He says after the meat hits 160, it's absorbed all the smoke you really need, so from that point on, you want to focus on raising the temp to about 190 F to help render some of the fat and tenderize the meat.

Smoked a ~14# brisket yesterday on my BGE. Point on the lower grate (I have a stacker setup) and the flat on the upper. All of the flat and a decent part of the point are already in a pot of chili (started after lunch today). That will cook until later and be dinner tomorrow. Rest will go into containers for freezing.

IMO, smoked brisket is beyond excellent in chili.

Smoked a ~14# brisket yesterday on my BGE. Point on the lower grate (I have a stacker setup) and the flat on the upper. All of the flat and a decent part of the point are already in a pot of chili (started after lunch today). That will cook until later and be dinner tomorrow. Rest will go into containers for freezing.

Brisket chili is THE BOMB! :rock:

What're your thoughts on smoking fish and quality cuts? In the past I've gone to the local butcher and picked up some rather expensive filets and smoked them. Recently I thought that it would make more sense to cook the fresh filets for eating that day, and then picking up the frozen stuff for smoking duty.

spur of the moment 3 hour smoke of a spatchcock chicken and the leftover piece of porkloin from yesterdays grillparty at the cottage, some bacon for bit more fat on the loin

Attachments

• IMG_20210707_143527506_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210707_143527506_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210707_184838297.jpg
    IMG_20210707_184838297.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210707_185120863.jpg
    IMG_20210707_185120863.jpg
    747.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210707_185453518.jpg
    IMG_20210707_185453518.jpg
    963.1 KB · Views: 17
Smoking a ~5# whole turkey breast section right now (started about an hour ago) for sammiches. I have one more whole breast section in the freezer that will be smoked over the weekend (most likely). I get the 'fresh' ones since the 'frozen' ones have way too much salt in them. I can taste the difference.

This is the third time I'm using the Flame Boss 500 with the BGE. Hoping that the software/webpage will alert me when it's done. Since the AC is running so I won't be able to hear the base beeping at me.

More failure from the FB500. Zero alerts from within the software/site if you're not actually camping out on it. I did find an option to get text messages, but that's still a 1/4 measure at best. They need to have the app actually ALERT you when something hits temperature in a way you KNOW that's what it is. After all, how many people get a text and then don't bother to look at it until some time later? I know there are times when I cannot drop what I'm doing to look.
Seems like more companies are producing software that doesn't have simple/basic functions in them.

Last edited:
What're your thoughts on smoking fish and quality cuts? In the past I've gone to the local butcher and picked up some rather expensive filets and smoked them. Recently I thought that it would make more sense to cook the fresh filets for eating that day, and then picking up the frozen stuff for smoking duty.
If you're referring to salmon, use a dry brine for frozen and a wet brine for fresh fish. I'm not sure if this holds for other type of fish though. There's an old youtube clip where they guy explains how it preserves the texture of frozen fish.
I'll try to dig it up.

I recently smoked a brisket and it didn't turn out that great. Was very dry (wasn't the best grade). I cubed it and threw into crockpot with homemade red chile sauce (pureed blend of red chiles). Made the best enchiladas and burritos ever. Also made great omelettes as well. The smokiness from the brisket added to the earthiness from the red chiles.

I like it too, but it can't do cold smoking so I can't do cheeses.
What about using two of them connected together with aluminum venting to carry the smoke from one to the next. One smoker would need to be lower than the other.

I've been thinking about getting an A-Maze-N tube/tray to set in my smoker for cold smokes. I've heard a lot of conflicting things about them though...
I have an Amaze n smoker tube that is great at cold smoking. I've heard bad things about the tray but the tube works great. There's a few brands now making a similar tube.

Even though I have a GMG pellet grill, the tube still gets lots of action. Sometimes I'll cold smoke chicken or burgers for a half hour before throwing them on the gas grill.

I did a rack of baby back ribs yesterday and I used The Meater. It turns out that my Big Green Egg thermometer is off by almost 100 degrees-the Meater showed my Egg at 280F while the thermometer showed 180F. This is the third thermometer I've used on the egg in the past 8 years, I'm wondering why they have all been off by so much. I replaced the original when it showed 225F but my digital probe showed over 400F. Anyway, the ribs were the best I've cooked in many years.

Yeah but did you do a blind triangle test and did you reach statistical significance?

Just joking. I really want to try that method. Looks delicious.

Ha!
It’s a sure thing. Just grab the rack with tongs halfway across the ribs somewhere close to 2 hours and if the meat starts ripping, they’re done. Easy as can be!
…no foiling, no basting and most importantly, no peaking!

I did a couple 4 bone slabs of dino bones (beef short rib plate) yesterday in the weber summit kamado. 8 hours at 250 then wrapped in butcher paper and finished at 300. Came out great. Sorry forgot the picture!

Back