Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a chuck roast thawd and ready to put on the BGE tomorrow. Low on Lump coal but I have plenty of briquettes to keep temp. Briquettes are hard to control in the BGE because they burn so hot so small doses planned if needed

SlRyrzVl.jpg

2QLd1Col.jpg

Frickin amazon tablet doesn't want to share photos, and it's not the weekend either, but I reverse seared a top round roast today. I chose to throw some pecan (2 handfuls) and some hickory (1/3 handful) chips in. Fairly standard dry rub for beef used. Kept temperature at 245/250 degrees F for 3 hours, and temped the meat. It was at 131 degrees, so I took it off the grill, removed the heat shield and raised temp to 550* F. The roast had 3 sides, and I put sear marks on every single one of them. Final temp was 134* F, it was a nice shade of pink throughout and was the best damn top round I have had! Even the wife said she could do it again, and she completely dislikes top rounds...lol. She said that this (the smoker) was paid in full on the first time we used it (which was last roast), but she said that the smoker just keeps generating more value.

Frickin amazon tablet doesn't want to share photos, and it's not the weekend either, but I reverse seared a top round roast today. I chose to throw some pecan (2 handfuls) and some hickory (1/3 handful) chips in. Fairly standard dry rub for beef used. Kept temperature at 245/250 degrees F for 3 hours, and temped the meat. It was at 131 degrees, so I took it off the grill, removed the heat shield and raised temp to 550* F. The roast had 3 sides, and I put sear marks on every single one of them. Final temp was 134* F, it was a nice shade of pink throughout and was the best damn top round I have had! Even the wife said she could do it again, and she completely dislikes top rounds...lol. She said that this (the smoker) was paid in full on the first time we used it (which was last roast), but she said that the smoker just keeps generating more value.
Your knowledge of rounds is awesome. Even to the thin slicing. I like to use them for lunch meat. A ways back on this thread I tried to make my own lunch meat but its hard to keep up. Haha, slicer is next!

I made a pork butt last night, pecan smoked. I used a butcher shop rub vs my normal 2 to 1 sugar salt mix. Anyways. I really like it, not sure as much or more but its so good. Interesting I think this needs sauce when the 2 to 1 never, ever needs sauce. Here you can see how lazy I am. Electric right out window. Can almost read temp if you zoom in. This little 3 pound butt took 9 hours at 275 unwrapped whole time.
20200326_203714.jpg
20200326_122702.jpg

That made me smile! Looks fabulous Applescrap! My rub was home made, and it was mostly salt, as I put no sugar into it and it was fantastic! On beef anyways! Mostly salt, then next would be pepper, garlic and onion are equal as well as a cheater of carne asada premade, and then thyme.

No sauce needed on that bird!! Succulent is a word that comes to mind when devouring this down, cause you really can't help yourself!! I used 1/2 cup of paprika, with about 2 tablespoons of that being smoked paprika, 1/4 cup salt, 1/4 cup dark brown sugar super packed, tablespoon of chipotle pepper powder, 2 tablespoons chili powder, 2 tablespoons Adobe, and 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder. and 1/4 cup turbinado. Had a little bit of spice heat to it, smokiness, and barbecue flavor throughout. I used oak chunks and only 2 handfuls of peach wood chips. The internal temp got away from me, but it didn't dry up, none that I could tell, with final temp getting to 181*F.

You are 110% correct @HoppyDaze! Spatchcocking a bird is for the most part so easy. I used a fairly decent kitchen scissor to cut the backbone out, took me 2 or 3 minutes. With a really nice pair, probably even less. Skin was crunchy, and the meat very juicy!

No pics but I did a quick pork tenderloin today. Just removed all the silver skin then sliced down the center to with about an inch of the other side and opened it up like a book, rubbed with vegetable oil and then rub and smoked 60-90 mins at 250 until it hit 140. Really good and the leftovers are good reheated with a boil-in-a-bag method either with a little bbq sauce or as tacos.

Fermentation Chamber has turned into brining chamber tonight. A pork loin and a pork butt brining. I’ve never tried brining a butt before....Curious to see how that goes.
I also picked up a couple turkey thighs the size of hub caps that should fill up the smoker nicely in the AM. I’ll add pics as we go
1C1EE599-70CA-4D7E-973D-86732F37BBC4.jpeg

Got some ribs on for dinner tonight. I don’t usually like 3-2-1 ribs, but I am going to try 3 hours on the “smoke setting” which is around 180f. We will see how that goes.

View attachment 673329
I usually run my ribs on 3-4 hours smoke at 140. Then up the temp to 180 for 3 hours then move up to 225 ... wrap in foil after a couple of hours then finish off for an hour.

Don’t forget to either have some apple juice mixture in a tin on the smoker for moisture or have a spray bottle of it handy.

I usually run my ribs on 3-4 hours smoke at 140. Then up the temp to 180 for 3 hours then move up to 225 ... wrap in foil after a couple of hours then finish off for an hour.

Don’t forget to either have some apple juice mixture in a tin on the smoker for moisture or have a spray bottle of it handy.

I honestly usually do ribs hot and fast, and they come out with the perfect bite to me. I’m not in a huge hurry today so thought I’d extend the cook a bit.

I have them wrapped with plenty of brown sugar and butter right now so no worries of drying out. Cheers!

These were my best ribs yet, says my wife. Just shy of falling off the bone which is a bit more done than I usually go for but I admit they were damn good.

I used to try to be a rib purist, going for the ideal level of bite.

Problem is that while that might make KCBBQ judges happy, the rest of the world likes them fall of the bone.

So since I'm making ribs for my wife and children, I "overcook" them deliberately to get them the way they want.

Just got an Oklahoma Joe's reverse flow smoker. I love these offset smokers cause you aren't dealing with direct heat. So much easier to control without overcooking or burning.
Did my first rack yesterday. Used only oak wood, no charcoal. Came out great.
20200329_145811[1].jpg

20200329_171908[1].jpg

20200329_172259[1].jpg

20200314_220545[1].jpg

I had some boneless/skinless thighs that needed used and no time to brine them, so figured I would bread them. I also love my electric smoker, but wasn’t sure about smoking breaded food. Gave it a shot anyway!

Slathered the thighs in a mix of 66% mayo and 33% bbq sauce then breaded. Smoked until 165F internal with no water pan.
6175D9CE-FB16-459B-84E5-83507ADD1DDC.jpeg
351942FD-2BD0-4024-9E19-2D31D1D0BBCD.jpeg

What??? No report on how they tasted?? LoL!!! It looks like they remained nice and moist. How'd the smoke flavor come off with the breading???
They were very moist inside and had a good crunch outside. The smoke was a little more pungent than I really wanted, even though I didn't add any fresh chips and just left in the mix of hickory/apple from my last smoke. I couldn't taste the bbq sauce at all but my wife said that she could. I did get a little of the garlic and herb from the crush croutons but the smoke was definitely the star. I'd love to try the same recipe in an air fryer to see how it compares.

I was very curious as to what the overall taste was going to be. Thanks. I guess it could have been a whole lot stronger if you did decide to put fresh chips in.

Love my broil king keg. As stated, after a little use, I have determined that too much air/smoke is doing it's own thing In the way of blow by at the lid to base mating surface area. Hopefully no more!!! Put a high temp gasket on bottom, then ran some lavalok high temp sealing gasket around the inside of both upper and lower gaskets. We will see if my tweaking gives me better control.

Attachments

• IMG_20200402_174917.jpg
    IMG_20200402_174917.jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 14
I used to try to be a rib purist, going for the ideal level of bite.

Problem is that while that might make KCBBQ judges happy, the rest of the world likes them fall of the bone.

So since I'm making ribs for my wife and children, I "overcook" them deliberately to get them the way they want.

“The things we do for love” lol

That is the same thing I did for dinner tonight Brew Dude! Mine turned out a little lighter in color. I have to say that my tweaking the gaskets on my smoker worked fabulously! So much so, that I needed to relearn the set points with the vents. There is NO smoke coming out anywhere other than where it is supposed to be! I finished the spatchcock, tried out my new heat resistant gloves by picking the coals out and cleaning the ash, have refilled the charcoal chamber with fresh, and some fresh smoking chips of hickory and pecan wood, and now I'm going to walk it up to the correct temp and let it set there for a bit before throwing that 9 pound butt on.

Ribs. About 5 to 5.5 hours at 275. Pecan. 3 different rubs. One I made, penzies pike peak butcher rub and tonys meat market rub. Haha, ran out of each as I went. Not my normal 2 to 1 sugar salt rub. Was really good. The pikes peak butcher rub while not bbq per say was good to. You can see it in one of the pics. The tonys rub was good too. Has me thinking about buying a commercial rub. Killer hogs the rub maybe? Ribs were good, no wrap.6 baby back slabs, cut nicely in half. I think I will always cut them in half they cooked great. Well and dont fit full!
Screenshot_20200404-211435_Gallery.jpg
20200404_150239.jpg
20200404_151006.jpg

Back