Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In case anyone was curious what chuck roast smoked, frozen and reheated looked like. It was too good to have just been a microwaved meal. Basmati rice, asparagus and Chuck. Smoked chuck is so good.
20180625_182605.jpg

^^so cool, glad to hear, you might like it. it has become one of my favorites. There are tons of pictures of my chuck on this thread. Only rubbed with salt. The 4 and 7 year old, love it, and stuff their faces. They are pretty picky too. Great for tacos, sandwiches etc. We are going to take it frozen on the road trip. I got buy one get one on it. Need to look for that sale again. I take it to 195ish. To be clear this is chuck not the rump or rear.

Edit, in looking for pics of smoked chuck, i came across the ny loin and prime rib i smoked. That prime rib might be one of the best things i have ever tasted. The ny loin roast was amazing too.

Last edited:
Anyone have a trick to getting crispy skin on smoked poultry? The meat always turns out delicious but the skin is rubbery right out of the smoker. I've tried the grill afterwards with mixed results.

Anyone have a trick to getting crispy skin on smoked poultry? The meat always turns out delicious but the skin is rubbery right out of the smoker. I've tried the grill afterwards with mixed results.
Cook it in the smoker like you would in the oven. I do whole chickens (split in half) at 350 or so and crank it up a little at the end for extra good measure. Do not use your water pan if you have one.

Also a more salt focused rub on the skin will draw some of the moisture out of the skin and allow it to crisp up some more. If all else fails pull it off the smoker a little early and throw it under the broiler.

Lastly buttering the skin seems to help golden browning in the oven. Might help as well.

Its one of the reasons I smoke usually at 275. Another is I dont like late dinners and there is no chance of me getting up in the middle of the night. Once im out im out. Iirc this chicken from before was getting plenty crispy at 240ish. What temp are you smoking at? I think these might have been lower. They are heavily rubbed and i have never used a water pan for anything yet. I also dont wrap my meat.

One last thought, i wonder if these were put in a pinch still frozen so they smoked longer.
20180527_190816.jpg
Resized_20180622_181210-1.jpg

Usually only go somewhere between 225-250 but only because I've almost always got something else in there too. I'll try salting the skin the day before and upping the temp. If that doesn't work I'll throw it in the oven or a quick sear.
Thanks all

Ever try doing an overnight drying out in the fridge (uncovered)? It seems to work according to the smoking forums I belong to.

Another thing is higher smoking temps.

Personally, I smoke then grill.

Im trying a 250 smoke followed by boosting it to 450 (if i can reach it) for the last 20 degrees as per the thermoworks site. Will report back.

Technically speaking, if your temp is above 250 you're not smoking. If you really want crispy skin spray it with apple juice and judiciously apply a blow torch before serving.

Smoked up two chickens at 250. At 140 meat temp attempted to boost the smoker to 450 to crisp up the skin. Undortunately was defeated by the ramp function of my digique but it got above 300. I dried the skin and lightly salted it before throwing them on the smoker. Skin was tasty and was bordering on crisp. Woukd have been that way had i gotten a higher temp to finish.

The chicken skin isn't rubbery, but not crispy either. 8hrs in a marinade then 6hrs out, uncovered in the fridge. 2hrs out while I started the fire to let the fridge chill subside.

No vinegar or acids in the marinade, but I think if I added it to the mop that it might have helped crisp the skin.

Smoked at 275 for 150-165 minutes mopped with the marinade and rotated the meat. Checked temp at second mop 145, pulled at 160.

I am putting my new Rec Tec Trailblazer pellet smoker through its paces before its first big test of a 16lb full packer brisket I'm cooking on July 4th. I did baby backs (awesome) and Cornell Chicken (using the recipe in the Meathead cookbook - meh) but the brisket, where I plan to do sliced flat and also burnt ends from the point, will be where the smoky rubber meets the road.

That is scary. Do they haunt your dreams?
No, but they do take up a surprising amount of bed space. :D

I am putting my new Rec Tec Trailblazer pellet smoker through its paces before its first big test of a 16lb full packer brisket I'm cooking on July 4th.
How are you liking the Rec Tec? I've been researching pellet smokers and keep coming back to them.
Looking forward to the brisket follow up!

Kind of unplanned but Shop Rite had a deal on baby backs that I couldn’t pass up. Just finished eating the first rack. Did it on my PBC with applewood chips. Smoked for 2 hours then wrapped in foil with beer for another 2 then sauces and hung again for the last half hour. Came out great, even my 7 year old loved them.

Anyone use a BGE, or similar, for a smoker? I'm looking to throw out my rusting propane smoker, but not sure what I need to get yet.

Thoughts are now:
-No electric or propane
-Would like to add a charcoal/lump grill to my patio too, so maybe get a 2-for-1 with a BGE, but only if a BGE makes a great smoker.
-Must have temperature control option (3rd party add-ons ok). Don't use smoker enough now because it requires too much intervention.

I have a BGE knock off (visions from costco) and LOVE it. I am a total novice so you better wait until someone with more experience chimes in... I have made ribs a few times. They do get better each time but never perfect. I did bacon once and it was awesome. I also did some beef jerky and that too was far better than store bought... There is a bit of a learning curve but if I can do it I am pretty sure anyone can.

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain. I would like to/may upgrade to a komodo smoker eventually, but pairing the WSM with a temp controller allows for simple smokes with minimal fuss.

No, but they do take up a surprising amount of bed space. :D

How are you liking the Rec Tec? I've been researching pellet smokers and keep coming back to them.
Looking forward to the brisket follow up!
I've only cooked on it a few times but so far it has been rock solid. It is a portable model so not a tremendous amount of cooking space but I bought the stainless accessory tray from Rec Tec for $35 which provides an additional 170 sq inches of cooking surface. This week I cooked a slab of baby backs on the top surface and had a large Lodge cast iron skillet full of baked beans immediately below it and both turned out great.

I also have owned a Big Steel Keg (like a BGE but not ceramic) and I have to admit that the smoke from the pellet smoker, especially as you get out of the 200s, isn't as intense as what I can get with the BSK. However, on occasion I have oversmoked BBQ on the BSK and that doesn't appear possible or easy to do on the Rec Tec. To help enhance the smoke I bought a $15 steel smoke tube off amazon. You put pellets in it and lite it with a torch and it provides a lot of smoke at any temperature range.

If you get the Trailblazer I would recommend the optional bottom tray as it adds a lot of stability to the smoker and it looks pretty cool, not to mention being functional.

I will post a brisket picture or two after the 4th.

I got the optional cover as part of a bundle:
eDU8VTb.jpg

The optional inner tray with the smoke tube on top:
XSFjBL2.jpg

The bottom accessory trey. Those roller blade wheels work really well:
Fbo3jVV.jpg

I bought these optional smoke vents and even though they were pretty cheap I'd probably not buy them again as they don't seem to do much smoke directing:
XE5XfuJ.jpg

Anyone use a BGE, or similar, for a smoker? I'm looking to throw out my rusting propane smoker, but not sure what I need to get yet.

Thoughts are now:
-No electric or propane
-Would like to add a charcoal/lump grill to my patio too, so maybe get a 2-for-1 with a BGE, but only if a BGE makes a great smoker.
-Must have temperature control option (3rd party add-ons ok). Don't use smoker enough now because it requires too much intervention.

Yes. I have a Kamado Joe Big Joe. I use it, and love it. The Big Joe is equivalent in size to the XL BGE (24" diameter).

You really don't need external temp control. Once you learn the vent settings, it's about as set-and-forget as you can get. Literally. They're designed to be controlled with those vents, and with 200# of ceramic, it's not like sunshine, or rain, or damn near anything else will budge that temp once you have it going. (As a result, don't get it running hot and then try to bring it back down. 200# of ceramic likes to stay where it's at, temp-wise.)

Because they don't use a lot of fuel, you can load the firebox to full before you start, and once you have it up to temp, it'll stay there long enough to cook anything you put in it. In my Big Joe, I can have the thing running for over 20 hours on a brisket cook, then burnt ends, etc, and by the next day haven't used up half my fuel.

And it's a truly stellar grill / outdoor oven. It'll do everything you need out of a grill, but with heat deflectors can be used to bake bread. Heck, it'll hold a constant temperature even better than your indoor oven... You can get up to very high heat if necessary for pizza or searing. Definitely possible to get higher heat than you'll get off any typical propane grill, and higher than you can get out of a pellet grill (which is one reason I chose it).

--------------

Downsides...

#1 is that you may not get as heavy of a smoke as you might get with other smokers. Because you're getting the bulk of your heat with charcoal rather than smoking wood, and because the design is actually to require a very small fire to generate the heat, you don't get the sort of airflow and heavy smoke that you'd get from something like a stick-burner.

#2 is that they don't have the highest capacity. I've seen people do all sorts of things to maximize the space of their 18" kamados (L BGE / KJ Classic size), but I can't imagine not having the size of the Big Joe. I actually also have a Joe Jr for small cooks, which is nice when I don't want to fire up the Big. But it's hard to fit a LOT of food onto the grill, especially when you use heat deflectors to create a "hot side" and a "cool side".

--------------

That said, I recommend them. Right now the only grills I have are the Big Joe and the Joe Jr. I originally got the Big Joe when I was retiring my old decrepit gasser, and wanted "One Grill To Rule Them All". The kamado does EVERYTHING well as a grill. Some dedicated designs [such as a stick burner] might be better pure smokers, but it's hard to find anything as versatile as a kamado, and it does nothing badly.

^^so cool, glad to hear, you might like it. it has become one of my favorites. There are tons of pictures of my chuck on this thread. Only rubbed with salt. The 4 and 7 year old, love it, and stuff their faces. They are pretty picky too. Great for tacos, sandwiches etc. We are going to take it frozen on the road trip. I got buy one get one on it. Need to look for that sale again. I take it to 195ish. To be clear this is chuck not the rump or rear.

Edit, in looking for pics of smoked chuck, i came across the ny loin and prime rib i smoked. That prime rib might be one of the best things i have ever tasted. The ny loin roast was amazing too.

I am also a huge fan of smoked beef chuck and do it a couple times a year. I think I might go grab a chuck roast tomorrow and do one on the 4th.

What I have really been wanting to do is the whole beef shoulder clod (ala Kreuz Market) but I have yet to find where to buy one where I live (DC metro area). Every time I ask (even good butchers) they seem to be confused about what I am talking about. Maybe it is just a Texas thing and no one else understands or has heard of it?

It is clear that I am and will remain an electric smoker fan. That being said I want a ceramic too! I feel the bge minimax is perfect for me.

Downside....its small

Upside.....its small
Its got built in stand and handles
Its portable
For my small family would be fine for day in and day out use
I am not picking my ceramic for when i have a ton of people over, not very often.
It does everything the bigger ones do
It will get to 1000 degrees quicker than the bigger ones
The steak is closet to the fire on this, was very important for me because the whole little hibatchi idea started me wanting one
Heats quick
Uses little fuel

If you entertain a lot you need a bigger one. If you are looking to add to the arsenal this seems a good option. I read review after review and they are glowing. The idea of purting steaks right on top of a 1000 degree fire is really intriguing. And the fact I could travel with it, camping etc is alluring. As is the quick heating. I like the minimax. But with an electric and the griddle i dont know if ill get one.

Bge mediums can go as low as 300 in denver.

Yeah, I ended up getting a good deal on the Joe Jr. It's great for small cooks, as it heats up and cools down MUCH faster than the Big Joe, and obviously also uses a lot less fuel to heat up. I haven't used it for anything portable, but it's light enough for me to carry alone, so I could easily use it for camping/etc. I haven't done a lot of sous vide on beef, but it would make a GREAT searing station.

I haven't looked at a Joe Jr vs Minimax comparison itself, so I can't really compare head-to-head. But I can say that having a small kamado around is quite convenient.

Just put a 9.5 lb pork butt on for tomorrow.

Quick Q for the crowd - I’m doing a small brisket for Saturday. The plan was to do it for tomorrow but plans changed. Anyway, anticipating that I’d be cooking the brisket Wednesday, I started thawing it in the fridge last Saturday. Yesterday I noticed it was almost thawed but there must be a hole in the cryo because liquid was getting out and air was getting in. I took it out of the cryo, tightly wrapped it in foil and put it back in the fridge.

My gut says it should be fine by Saturday morning but wanted to ask for anyone’s input. So whaddya think?

Last edited:
Went and looked at BGEs tonight. Basically $2000 for a functional set up.

Putting that in terms of brand new stainless steel brewing vessels makes it seem like more money than its worth.

Just put a 9.5 lb pork butt on for tomorrow.

Quick Q for the crowd - I’m doing a small brisket for Saturday. The plan was to do it for tomorrow but plans changed. Anyway, anticipating that I’d be cooking the brisket Wednesday, I started thawing it in the fridge last Saturday. Yesterday I noticed it was almost thawed but there must be a hole in the cryo because liquid was getting out and air was getting in. I took it out of the cryo, tightly wrapped it in foil and put it back in the fridge.

My gut says it should be fine by Saturday morning but wanted to ask for anyone’s input. So whaddya think?
Man, tough one. Side fyi, when I have questions like this, I will check USDA food guidelines. This is a great source and is worth trusting for food safety. Saturday is pushing it but I think you could do it. I would recommend cooking it right away. For me I cook them at 275 and I cut it in half. The flat is almost always done very quickly. The point will be done in 8 hours. I want to say two and a half to 4 hours for the flat. I have made many this way and they have been amazing. Kosher salt only and trimmed with my inner Jewish butcher. Pics of every one I've done recently are on this thread. We are still eating the last one.

As a secondary option I guess you could smoke it to, i dont know about 145 (food safe zone , i think) or whatever level you have time for and then finish it in microwave, grill, oven, smoker, it will be awesome. I think you would take it to 195 on second cook. Best of luck hope to see it!

Edit-the usda recommends cooking meat in 3 to 5 days. If I'm reading this right then if it got defrosted by Monday or Tuesday, 3 to 5 days would include Saturday. I'm sure it's probably okay but you're smart to considers food safety.

Last edited:
Yeah, I ended up getting a good deal on the Joe Jr. It's great for small cooks, as it heats up and cools down MUCH faster than the Big Joe, and obviously also uses a lot less fuel to heat up. I haven't used it for anything portable, but it's light enough for me to carry alone, so I could easily use it for camping/etc. I haven't done a lot of sous vide on beef, but it would make a GREAT searing station.

I haven't looked at a Joe Jr vs Minimax comparison itself, so I can't really compare head-to-head. But I can say that having a small kamado around is quite convenient.
Cool. Would love to see some action shots. I think the minimax is 90 pounds. I could sling that around but im not getting any younger so I would have one person per handle. Man starting to want one again, thanks[emoji3]

p
Fine. Tomorrow I would unwrap and dry with a paper towel. Season heavy with a dry rub. Set uncovered on a cooling rack on a cookie sheet in the fridge until saturday.

Back