Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks.

Started at 15lbs.
Trimmed lean like that, probably 13.5lbs.

7 hours at 200*F gave an internal temp of 160*F.
Another couple of hours at 250*F gave an internal temp of 185*F.
Double wrapped in foil, then a towel and into a small cooler for a few more hours until chow time.

I’ve had them range from the 1/2 hour to 1-1/2 hour per pound.

Forgot to add: another 1/2 hour for the burnt ends after tossing in drippings and a bit of sauce.

Thanks
I’ve been thinking of brisket since seeing it.

Two butts in the brine!
IMG_20180223_215656.jpg

And a brew in my belly!

Belgian NEIPA? French Brux Trois IPA?

Hoppy Saison brewed with French Saison and Saccharomyces Bruxellensis Trois using Falconer's Flight 7 C's and YHC CryoHops Citra

MVIMG_20180223_221528.jpg
MVIMG_20180223_221637.jpg

SWMBO requested pork butt for a friend’s’ get-together today, so I got it going last night.

This is the first overnight cook with the WiFi-enabled Flame Boss her family got me for Christmas. It’s pretty cool to be able to roll over in the middle of the night, grab the iPhone and check to see that everything is going well. Must have been a good gust of wind around 1:45.

Nice visual depiction of "the stall" too.

IMG_1519476869.169064.jpg

Last edited:
SWMBO requested pork butt for a friend’s’ get-together today, so I got it going last night.

This is the first overnight cook with the WiFi-enabled Flame Boss her family got me for Christmas. It’s pretty cool to be able to roll over in the middle of the night, grab the iPhone and check to see that everything is going well. Must have been a good gust of wind around 1:45.

Nice visual depiction of "the stall" too.

View attachment 559546
BBQ data logging while you sleep is pretty awesome.

There were a bunch of people with big dopey smiles on their faces, and I'd say it was pretty damn good! Next time I'll plan on a couple more hours for the butt, but the ribs were literally falling off the bone

“Fall off the bone” ribs are OK but no match for the perfect “bite through” texture. The bend test is a great way to see when you’re getting close. Some folks use a tooth pick.

“Fall off the bone” ribs are OK but no match for the perfect “bite through” texture. The bend test is a great way to see when you’re getting close. Some folks use a tooth pick.

Yeah, but when I'm cooking for philistines, I err more towards "fall off the bone". It might not be KCBS-perfect, but it makes guests happy.

Never have understood the draw of gnawing the meat off of a bone. Ribs or otherwise. The fibers get stuck in my teeth, makes it more difficult to eat, and the taste seems virtually the same. Don’t really care if you have 1000 gold medals for winning a bbq/smoke event, if I don’t like to eat it, what difference does it make. I smoke/grill my ribs, etc. for my taste, not for a judge. If ya don’t like em, don’t eat em. Just like beer; brew what ya like, drink what ya like.

You don’t have to gnaw it off the bone when properly cooked. What you’re describing is undercooked. You probably haven’t had perfect bite-through ribs I’m guessing.

no pics, yet...but smoked 4 small tenderloins, there was two per pack. They cooked quick and were good. 145 degrees then wrapped until company arrived 1 hour plus later. Scared me a little hope I didnt food poison anyone. Same rub as ham, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, powder mustard, and onion powder. Cherry and hickory, but ran out of hickory so more cherry, I dont care for cherry straight or havent found the perfect thing for it yet.

You don’t have to gnaw it off the bone when properly cooked. What you’re describing is undercooked. You probably haven’t had perfect bite-through ribs I’m guessing.

Well, sir, your guess would be incorrect. You call them perfect bite through, I call them the kind I don’t like. Had them from literal award winners, just don’t like them. Personal preference.
Never ceases to amaze me how people refuse to accept that there is no right or wrong to personal taste/preference.

Well, sir, your guess would be incorrect. You call them perfect bite through, I call them the kind I don’t like. Had them from literal award winners, just don’t like them. Personal preference.
Never ceases to amaze me how people refuse to accept that there is no right or wrong to personal taste/preference.

I didn’t say anything your taste. Nobody cares how mushy you cook your ribs. I corrected you on saying that properly cooked bite through ribs do not have to gnawed through.

I'm gonna smoke a brisket this weekend to use for "meal prepping" lunch next week. I plan on doing sandwiches, beans and potato salad for a few days but does anyone have any other recommendations for a good meal prep using leftover brisket? I thought maybe do tacos or quesadillas.

I'm gonna smoke a brisket this weekend to use for "meal prepping" lunch next week. I plan on doing sandwiches, beans and potato salad for a few days but does anyone have any other recommendations for a good meal prep using leftover brisket? I thought maybe do tacos or quesadillas.

Chili is always a good one with brisket.

Yum. Maybe smoke the chilli too?

What about a stew. Wish I had this problem.

I've never seen a need to smoke the chili. Typically with good smoked meat going into it, just cooking the chili fills the house with a nice aroma of smoked meat.

So sure, you *could* do the chili in the smoker, but I'm not sure it's necessary.

Have always wanted to try smoking mac n cheese.

Got electric slicer out and went to town on pork tenderloin. Would like to try to make my own lunch meat from now on.

Have always wanted to try smoking mac n cheese.

Got electric slicer out and went to town on pork tenderloin. Would like to try to make my own lunch meat from now on.
Doing smoked mac and cheese and chicken wings for lunch, and after that's done I'm gonna throw a smaller Chuck on to make sandwiches for the week. Will report back how and Mac and cheese turned out.

Awesome! Cant wait to hear how it is. I love smoked chuck.
The Mac and cheese turned out pretty good but it came out a little more dry than I had hoped. I was hoping it would still end up a little creamy. Needs some tweaking but it was good! I recommend trying it.

@jammin that brisket looks nice. The trim on it looks outstanding.

@HoppyDaze I try to grow only things that do well here, and that we like to eat, but I keep ending up with some Duds. Mostly grow tomatoes, green peppers, hot peppers, lettuce, spinach, kale, broccoli, and eggplant. Join us on the gardening thread for some good gardening talk. Those are self watering, sub irrigated kiddie pools and I go into detail on that thread. Hope to see you there.

I pulled the prime rib at 125 and wrapped in foil for 30 minutes or so. It was amazing. I cant believe how good it was. I didn't get any really good pics of it. Just these when I pulled it out and one side is ugly where the thermometer was going in. Speaking of which since my sur la tab bit the Dust, i ordered this dual thermometer set up. Wasn't particularly looking for anything cheap, but because I didn't want a wireless one the wired ones were pretty inexpensive. Look here the wired is $40 less than the wireless. If someone knows these to be bad please chime in so I can send them back. It'll be nice to have 2 probes for different types of meat, and or different sizes, and also to use one to give the temp of the grill or smoker. I thought it would turn out good, but had no idea how good prime rib smoked is. I trimmed my prime rib pretty substantially. It was from King Soopers and there was quite a bit of extra fat and a very thick top fat cap. I'm not sure if you're supposed to trim them or not but I I figured I didn't want to eat all that. I found a pic from a recipe of a more aggressive trim. What do you guys think? Do you take your prime rib this low?.
20180304_161910.jpg
20180304_161858.jpg
Screenshot_2018-03-04-14-28-21.png
Screenshot_2018-03-04-14-28-09.png
Screenshot_2018-03-04-13-07-45.png
20170801_090309.jpg
20170801_092355.jpg
20170801_101952.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-03-04-14-28-21.png
    Screenshot_2018-03-04-14-28-21.png
    191.1 KB · Views: 77
Throwing an elk sirloin roast on the pellet grill now.

I had no idea this was even a thread on here until a few days ago. I’m running the pellet grill 3-4 times a week.

Back