Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When working with wood like this, I was under the impression it pretty much needs to "season", i.e. spend some time drying out. When it's fresh-cut, it's not good for smoking.

Chop it up into logs, then let it dry out several months at least before using. Probably less time needed for smaller pieces, of course.

They indeed are -somewhat- poisonous so the intake should be monitored, they are however being sold here dried in the spice shelf. Moderate consumption has little more side effects than increased urine and sweat production -so if you're on the beer you wouldn't notice anyway :D The amount being used is something like 20g (0.7oz) per boil so you wouldn't get too much at all from it per serving.

Juniper berries give more of a berry-ish flavor, the tangy sting of a gin is I believe in the needles.

Deffy gonna make a thread for it when it's time to make this happen, might be a lil while though, the riding season has already started and my bike is still in bits so that's a priority right now. Besides my fermenters are full :D

Haha, got me thinking about that beautiful wild redhead. By wild, I mean natural, I am talking about boulder, co. She was born and raised there. Man, uhh where was I, yes I ate the fruit with her. There is nothing, and I mean nothing berry like at all about those hardy little berries. Now, I could be remembering incorrectly and or the dried fruit could be different, but the berries I ate had a medicinal, intense, and almost caustic taste like, gin! Ymmv. I still hope you make that beer just dont expect pyramid apricot.

I stand corrected. Did some more research and it seems the BERRIES indeed are what is used to make gin, I remembered backwars. Those btw aren't berries at all since it's a coniferous tree ;)
beer_103498.jpg

My ultimate goal is to clone -or better yet top- this beer. Savu Kataja is Smoke Juniper in Finnish. It's got this intense ham-ish smokey taste much like some german rauchbiers (schlenkerla) but also the juniper aroma is well present. I buy one every now and then but at 7,30 a bottle (8.13USD) it's not something you buy a sixpack at a time. Not much is told about it other than in making it a "bed of juniper branches" is used, how exactly is not disclosed, and that it's aged for three months.

This beer is happening make no mistake but as said in previous posts the nearly dripping wet trunk has to be sliced, diced and hung to dry before I can proceed any further. I'll make a thread of this shortly to document the entire process from sawing the wood to tasting so I won't clog this one any more. All comments most welcome.

Just salt, peppered and injected (HB honey blonde ale, apple cider vinegar and whiskey) a 9 lb packer brisket. Will be waking up in 4 hours to get that dude on the smoker. Gonna go all oak.

On a side note, smoked some burgers tonight, doing the brisket tomorrow and a project shoulder on Sunday. Bring on the smoke!!!!

Scored a brisket at walmart this this week. Asked them and they put it on sale. Salt and pepper and on it will go. Cant wait to start trimming it. Out of hickory so considering using just cherry, but last time I did that didnt like it, so might have to go get some hickory.

Haha, got me thinking about that beautiful wild redhead. By wild, I mean natural, I am talking about boulder, co. She was born and raised there. Man, uhh where was I, yes I ate the fruit with her. There is nothing, and I mean nothing berry like at all about those hardy little berries. Now, I could be remembering incorrectly and or the dried fruit could be different, but the berries I ate had a medicinal, intense, and almost caustic taste like, gin! Ymmv. I still hope you make that beer just dont expect pyramid apricot.

What the hell are you talking about??

Here is a pic as I started to trim the point. 1/4 to 1/8 " all the way, with rounded aerodynamic inspired cuts. This had 5 pounds of fat and junk on it. You can see a few windows but I'm not worried about it. It came with that big middle window. I will leave very little on the board I hope. I later rounded all the corners and edges. I really like trimming them for some reason. It's like in my blood or something

View attachment 1495294112425.jpg

13 hours later and it's probably one of the best briskets I've ever had. Perfect moisture and tenderness. I think I need to trim a little better next time though cuz I did have a few fatty spots. Also, I only had smoke on for about 4 hours, but could have gone a little longer. It was my first time using oak and it was a little more mild than I expected. But all in all I was super pleased. Tomorrow is pork shoulder.

Apparently my phone decided not to actually save the photo I took of the brisket which bums me out, but whatcha gonna do?

@BBQB - what temp were you running at? Looks amazing

I did a pretty consistent 225 for 10 hours. This was by far my best brisket, though next time I might trim a bit more fat off ahead of time .
The day before I applied a rib which I think helped a lot. The 24hrs was enough time for the salt to permeate through the cut .
....and I'm Corning the flat for next weekend. My meat sweats should be cured by then

Ribs with grilled Romain hearts (homemade Caesar dressing) and grilled corn on the cob. No pics, must have been hungry. :mug:

Well, I finally did it! I got my new smoker (Rec Tec 680) all setup and did three racks of ribs yesterday! :ban:

Here's the smoker setup next to my Weber Genesis E-330. I added a couple of umbrellas to make sure direct sunlight wouldn't mess up my smoker temps. The umbrellas have some solar powered LEDs on them as well, which should make night time cooks a little easier.

SabRRn6.jpg

LmGmg3n.jpg

Here are the ribs all rubbed, wrapped and ready to go! I tried out three different rubs - two from Penzey's spices (BBQ 3000 & Galena Street) as well as the Smoking-Meat.com rub.

rRBAODa.jpg

On the smoker at 225F:

faFvDrk.jpg

Here's what they looked like after 3 hours in the smoker with the "Extreme Smoke" option on:

ldvlOhG.jpg

I put a little mettled butter, raw sugar, and more rub in the foil before putting them in with the meat side down. They each got 1 shot of bourbon on the bones as well. Then they went back in the smoker for another hour, bone side down.

Out of the foil, sauced, and on a the searing hot grill for just a couple of minutes to finish them up:

6xoMw2a.jpg

And, BOOM! All done:

lp1dX97.jpg

People are still talking about them today and wondering how long until we can warm the leftovers up! :mug:

Started a Cherry Dr. Pepper pork butt this morning, about 4:30 am, before starting my cream ale brew day.

Here it is injected, rubbed up, and ready to go:

tYCYYqu.jpg

Here it is after 3 hours in the smoker about 225-235:

f6kTXpp.jpg

About half way done with my boil now! So far a pretty darn good day!

Back