Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Pastrami" about to head to the steamer:

16508698_1246320868766293_5001721136420392964_n.jpg

These are "dino" beef ribs that I smoked on my MAK pellet grill recently. I picked them up at Sam's Club and they are sold as beef short ribs. They remind me of brisket, maybe even better if that's possible! I think y'all persuaded me I need to head to Sam's today.

Dino ribs 3.JPG

Good deal. You must subscribe to the Myron Mixon school of hot and fast. He has won about everything there is to win that way.

Pork shoulder or butt is something you can cook at little higher temp and it will not change the flavor, the real trick with pork is making sure you get above 200 on final temp of the meat. Not 165.

Pork shoulder or butt is something you can cook at little higher temp and it will not change the flavor, the real trick with pork is making sure you get above 200 on final temp of the meat. Not 165.

IMO, pork is done when it's done regardless of smoker temperature. . I make great "pernil" with final temps much lower than pulled pork. As for pulled pork, Hot and Fast just has a narrower window for done (between tough and mush) than does low and slow. So, it takes more skill to cook Hot and Fast, but it's totally doable and for many, desirable

The only concern with cook temperature is burning sugar in the rub, IMO.

Final temperature is overrated. Trimming, boning and wrapping in foil can significantly reduce cook time (I've done a lot of slow and slow 10lb butts in 7 hours - medal winners). Putting the pork in a cooler/cambro for an hour or two will even out the cook so you can take it off the heat sooner. Another method is a long 185 cook and then fire up. This is a great method to have your pork ready right as your guests are ready to eat. Also, the money muscle will cook faster than the rest of the butt, so one might want to consider this in their cook procedures. This is why I like either low and slow, taking off the smoker the second the money muscle is done and resting in the cambro - or starting earlier and cooking at 185 and holding it there and then kicking up the temp at the end to finish to time a meal. These result in an even cook. The rest in the cambro/cooler method can be used for hot and fast - and I would argue that it's even more important.

OK, that's my two cents - and I accept that someone will come along and have a totally different opinion and make great BBQ.

Anyway, in the end, focus on texture, not temperature.

Me. 11-lb pork butt on the grill as we speak. Will be there for at least 12 hours (@ 225° F) and will be awesome. Salt & molasses brine. Dry rubbed and this method doesn't need sauce, but I ain't offended if anyone uses some.

This! I use pit barrel cooker at about 295, though I see 195 rather than 200 is usually done enough to ensure it truly falls apart and melts in the mouth. Barrel cooking rocks a pork butt, ribs, and chickens...not so good on the brisket, but maybe my skills are still just average.

IMG_2515.jpg

This! I use pit barrel cooker at about 295, though I see 195 rather than 200 is usually done enough to ensure it truly falls apart and melts in the mouth. Barrel cooking rocks a pork butt, ribs, and chickens...not so good on the brisket, but maybe my skills are still just average.

Damn brother, looks awesome.

I won't be smoking any meat this weekend but hopefully I'll find time to work toward finishing my meat smoker:

That thing is badass. Curious, whats to keep the smoke from coming out of the fire box and immediately up the chimney? Usually the chimney is on the other side so you draw the smoke through the meat.

That thing is badass. Curious, whats to keep the smoke from coming out of the fire box and immediately up the chimney? Usually the chimney is on the other side so you draw the smoke through the meat.

Thanks!
It's called a reverse flow smoker, the top of the fire box is actually a 5 foot long plate that nearly extends to the other end of the cook chamber. The smoke travels under this plate then back over the grid and to the smoke stack.

soZndaj.png

o4biwax.png

UXMk8Ty.jpg

That is way freakin' cool.

Just decided - gonna throw some baby backs on the WSM later on and do some veggies on the kettle.

That is way freakin' cool.

Just decided - gonna throw some baby backs on the WSM later on and do some veggies on the kettle.

Few of my friends swear by their WSM's. I was going to get a WSM when I started smoking 2 years ago, wife got me the pit barrel cooker instead. I like the versatility of WSM, but have to say the PBC results have been awesome, and I love the "set it and forget it" simplicity....more time to drink beer. Also like the shorter times at 290-300. I'm tempted to get automated temp control wood pellet smoker, decent one at Costco for $600....but I could buy more beer stuff for that....well actually, I've already spent that and then some in the last 4 months of this hobby!

I've thought about it. I wonder what shipping across the country would cost for 700lb of steel?

I've thought about it. I wonder what shipping across the country would cost for 700lb of steel?

about $425 if it's crated up, but you need a commercial landing dock to receive it.

It's how I received my Cookshack FastEddy 120 - weight was 700lb. The shipper took the wheels off and bolted it to the bottom of the crate. I had it shipped to a friend's warehouse. Shipping to my place of business was too expensive since I didn't have a loading dock.

Few of my friends swear by their WSM's. I was going to get a WSM when I started smoking 2 years ago, wife got me the pit barrel cooker instead. I like the versatility of WSM, but have to say the PBC results have been awesome, and I love the "set it and forget it" simplicity....more time to drink beer. Also like the shorter times at 290-300. I'm tempted to get automated temp control wood pellet smoker, decent one at Costco for $600....but I could buy more beer stuff for that....well actually, I've already spent that and then some in the last 4 months of this hobby!

I have 2 WSMs but tell new comers that the pit barrel is a better choice since it's easier (just follow the videos). The WSM gives you some more control, which is important to competitors, but the PBC produces great backyard BBQ.

I love pellet smokers (I have a FEC120). Punch in your numbers and you are ready to go, and no need to tend to fires. Clean up is a pleasure, 24 hour cooks of butts, briskets, ribs and chicken produce about a soup can of ash.

All that said and my go to grill/smoker is an Akorn Kamado.

We cooked two racks of spares, two corned beef briskets and a meatloaf yesterday! Will make for some good leftovers this week, I used to do the BBQ competition thing years ago, don't compete anymore but still enjoy backyard BBQ on my Backwoods Competitor and Smokin Brothers pellet cooker. When I purchased my Backwoods I had Mike the owner install the convection option, auto water fill and thermostatically controlled gas burner, I usually start off with some lump and what ever wood I feel like using fire up the gas burner once the charcoal and wood come up past the gas burner set point the gas burner shuts off until the charcoal and wood burns downs aprox. 4 to 6 hours at this point there is plenty of smoke already on the meat and the gas burners kisk back on until done. The Backwoods is a little more work but does a very nice job. We sell the Smokin Brothers grills at work and have been very happy with their build quality and performance, A+ for being easy to use. :) Their latest controller is sweet, it has a digital probe that you can adjust your set internal meat temp. it has two cooking ramp up modes example set control to cook at 200 for 3 hours then ramp up to 250 until internal temps gets to 195 then ramp down to holding temp of 165. Can't get much easier than that..

Realized I didnt add a finish pic. That little devil smoked for 5 or 6 hours at 275 and still only hit 183. Worked out because it chilled over night and i was then able to paper thin it with electric slicer. Now i need some ideas of what to do with it, other than snacking it cold every time i walk by the fridge. Just rubbed with brown sugar, no need for salt and hickory with cherry smoked.

View attachment 1489463261912.jpg

Back