Whoops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
I bottled a couple of small batches of Lambic and Flanders 2 weeks ago. Both were 12 to 14 months from starting. One was brewed with my 'House' bug mix, the other with Lambic Blend + some dregs. 6 months ago one went on raspberries, the other went on cherries.

I opened one this evening and it gushed all over the counter. I lost about half a bottle. Fortunatly it was easy clean up.

Bottle had not been in the fridge, but I suspect that wouldn't make much difference.

When I bottled, one was at 1.008, the other was 1.009. Bottled with a healthy dose of Brett-C (because I had a starter going - it was handy).

I can't believe the Brett would have started on the complex sugars yet. I have moved all the bottles to the cold garage to see if they settle, about 46 bottles. I'll try another tomorrow when it has cooled down, and probably take a gravity sample to see what is going on.

Beer tastes great, lots of raspberry flavor in this one.

First one was the Flanders. I just tried one of the Lambics, and same thing happened. This time I caught it as it was about to exit the bottle, so didn't lose too much.

I bottled a couple of small batches of Lambic and Flanders 2 weeks ago. [/QUOTE
Bottle had not been in the fridge, but I suspect that wouldn't make much difference.

Thats your answer right there, 2 weeks isn't long enough to bottle condition and can foam over if you open it too early, plus not chilling it can also lead to foam overs.

I remember someone posted a video on here once opening a bottle everyday or so after bottling to see how long it takes to carb correctly and almost all of them in the first 2 weeks gushed, I'm assuming bottling with brett would stretch that out longer since it works slower.

Thats your answer right there, 2 weeks isn't long enough to bottle condition and can foam over if you open it too early, plus not chilling it can also lead to foam overs.

I remember someone posted a video on here once opening a bottle everyday or so after bottling to see how long it takes to carb correctly and almost all of them in the first 2 weeks gushed, I'm assuming bottling with brett would stretch that out longer since it works slower.

Wait, what? Could you link to this or let me know where I can check it out? This seems totally counter intuitive to me. It may be correct I'm just not familiar with how this works.

Is the thought that the active bottle fermentation lends itself to a gush since yeast are suspended in the beer and nucleate bubbles, where as after the bottle ferment has ended the CO2 is dissolved in solution and does not nucleate as readily?

Before I read that explanation I was wondering if you had this strain of Brett-c in the mix before or was this a new strain that had never seen the wort until you bottled it? If it is new if would seem like that Brett might have access to new sugars and other compounds that other things have not. At 1.008-9 there are all sorts of things that can still be converted to CO2, plus it sounds like you added some priming sugar? My thoughts are that this is not going to get better and indeed could get worse.

The first explanation could be correct, but I would defiantly consider the potential for the alternative explanation that the priming sugar as well as residual sugars are being consumed and that you have bombs at your house.

I couldn't find the exact video that that I was thinking of but this one is similar, just less bottles opened.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlBlnTfZ2iw[/ame]

With the slower working brett i could imagine the foam over period lasting longer.

There was also another video I found saying an unchilled bottle will foam over since the bulk of the co2 is still in the headspace until it sinks in while cold crashing, but it didn't show an example.

It could also be a priming issue but given the circumstances this could be a valid answer.

Okay, I immediately got lost on the idea that bottles at 2 weeks will gush. This has absolutely not been my experience. I bottled many beers and opened them AFTER chilling for a day, without incident. I've never bottled a brett beer, but just the basic idea that beer bottled and then opened within 2 weeks will absolutely gush. I'm not getting that.

Perhaps all of this only applied to the fact that the beer wasn't chilled. I feel like that video is exhibiting lack of carbonation in suspension.

Sorry, I guess I should have been more clear in my original post. I was under the impression that brett beers need a significantly longer time to bottle condition than with regular yeast. I've opened chilled bottles at 2 weeks and my experience has been just as in that video, not gushing but really heavy head. Since the brett works slower I assumed he was closer to day 5 in the video, plus the lack of a chill = gush. Especially after 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back