Counterpressure bottle filler....I know.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, as expected, my equipment larder is growing. My British ales will never see a forced anything, but my lagers will, as will some other ales (including a rocking "Ida'Zea IPA in second dry hopping now - Warrior bittering, Idaho 7 and Motueka in ample supply for late and dry hop). I may even filter, if the wild hair truly starts to sprout.

So, way out of the loop. I had a great bench CP filler. some Italian make, lost to history. And I did a DIY "Tee" design but that, too, was a long, long time ago. Looking for something I can do alone, that won't break the bank. On balance, it won't just be the odd bottle or two, though - don't want to tie up fermentation fridge space with kegs, so I am looking for something that is more than the one off bottle off a keg for friends or something. 40-50 bottles at a time. I know this is a pretty wide open question, but what is the current thinking?

I haven't used it yet but just ordered the TapCooler and the add on piece that allows for bottling from the keg without taps. Best of both worlds. Should be here this weekend and I can update.

I like my Tapcooler pretty well. If you get one, also pick up the little plastic piece that directs foam and overflow out a tube and into a bucket.
Damn I had one in my cart and took it out last minute cause some of the reviews said it wasn't worth the $9. Figured I could always add it later on a bigger order.

I have what looks like a homemade one that was in the score of stuff I got from the user that was getting out of the hobby. Have not yet tried to figure out how to use it. It looks pretty cool though. One of these days it is on my list of things to try.

I have what looks like a homemade one that was in the score of stuff I got from the user that was getting out of the hobby. Have not yet tried to figure out how to use it. It looks pretty cool though. One of these days it is on my list of things to try.
Does it look like this?

counterpressure t bottle filler.jpg

The Tapcooler sounds exactly like what you are NOT looking for.. It works decent for the one and two bottle fills. I couldn't imagine filling 40-50 bottles with it. I tried to fill a growler with mine and the piece that goes into the bottle (that extends and retracts to fill different height bottles) fell right into the growler as it was filling. I've not been happy with the Tapcooler. More of a headache than help if you ask me.

Now I just use a second CO2 tank to purge a bottle and fill right from the tap. But I'm only filling a bottle here and there

I use the Williams warn counter pressure bottle filler. Very happy with it.
I have one for Brett beers and another for normal.
That's a nice looking unit. Brett scares the bejeezus out of me just to have it in the larder (though, coming up, a 3-4 yr. RIS + vintage IPA with B. claussenii), much less a piece of gear like that with lots of crevices, etc. I'd do the same.

I've tried several. Started with the Beer Gun (ya, can be adapted into a counter presssure but I didn't), but had a hard time controlling foam. Then to a Williams-Warn. The WW was pricey but worked OK. Then a crack developed in the filling head. It was past warranty and replacement required a money order to a bank account number somewhere in the great beyond and the part had to be shipped from NZ ... no parts distribution in the US apparently. Too costly and convoluted in my estimation, so I transitioned to the Tapcooler. Problem here was that my Perlick faucets turned out to be pre-500 series and would not work with the 500 adapter, so I had to add an Intertap to the line-up. Requires switching lines between bottling sources. but that's not a big deal really. Generally happy with the Tapcooler. It definitely takes both hands, but once you get your system down it's not too bad. I've had the fill probe drop off but found that I had not inserted the probe completely into the head. I don't have the overflow tube ... really don't see the reason as foam just drops to the tray or towel I have on the floor. Small, easy to clean, very quick to pop into a tap to fill my flip tops for events and club meetings.

Tapcooler connected directly to the tap is incredibly simple. The gas relief tube is nice to have for reducing any foam mess, but not necessary. Having it not connected to the draft tap is not nearly as convenient.

True,

I ended up using a small folding woodworking table, the kind that has 2 cranks to bring the pieces together. I than took a board and drilled a hole through it for the shank to go through. All I have to do is unfold table and wedge the board through the table. When finished bottling I can easily take it down.

DMF

Last edited:
I have to say like everyone else that I love my Tapcooler. However, if its a bit more automation you are looking for I just saw a video on YouTube for the RAPT Cannular can and bottle automatic filler:

Is there supposed to be an oring between the stem that goes into the faucet and the main body? I was using mine today and it was leaking a bit around the threads. If there is one, I've already lost it.

There is a rubber ring between the spout and tap body on my nukataps.
I noticed this when fitting the screw in ball lock post adapter and had leaks.
The gasket was still stuck on the spout I'd taken off.

Back