Who has tasted their starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyhawkins

Reaction score
I have made several dozen starters prior to this revelation. Tonight I tasted the remaining wort from a starter I made with WLP-001 and it tasted like vinegar!
Has anyone tasted this in a starter before?
I am sure it is infected with acetobacter and became vinegar. I am just hoping and wondering if someone has noticed the same thing before.

I tasted my bread yeast after it was proofed once. Never tasted my beer yeast after that experience. The bread yeast had a nasty bitter taste. I imagine beer yeasts are not to much different. You may not have an infection.

Tried mine once too. Never again. Extremely green beer taste, sure could be described as vinegar like I suppose. Beer I pitched the yeast into turned out great, you're beer is fine I would bet.

Stevo

I always taste my starters, mostly to make sure the starter is clean(ish). And to get a rough idea of what esters a new strain may provide. Then again, my starters ferment around 70. If your starter is cooking away at 80, it will make a fine starter, but will likely taste even more terrible.

Really I just obsessively taste at every point.

Back