Who else "won" Thanksgiving?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kungpaodog

Reaction score
Since we all know that Thanksgiving is a contest;) to be won or lost:D, who else won it? Or lost it?

I think I won, since my beer was about the only beverage that was consumed. There's always that voice in the back of your head saying "of course they SAY it's good, they're family." But with people going back for more, I think that's a good compliment.

And when I had people tell me "have you had these mashed potatoes? They are great!" I got to say "Why thank you, I made those Wasabe mashed potatoes." They seemed to be the talk of the night.:rockin:
Try it some time, they really are damn good.

My father-in-law drinks Natural Light and hates most of my beers (except for last winter's pilsner), so I just kept it all at home for myself and drank their wine. My older daughter did mooch a 6-pack of my homebrew, though, noting one of her friends really liked the last batch I sent her way. So my parents and one of my kids likes my homebrew, so I guess I will put that in the "win" column.

Greg

Greg

Well, I didn't win Thanksgiving with beer. There was far too much else to drink, and only a couple of beer drinkers.

BUT!

The grilled turkey turned out better than any turkey I've had. Power to the grillmaster (that's me :) )

I lost and I won. I was the only one present, besides SWMBO, who drinks anything other than Coors Light. Seeing as we didn't have any CL present, they went the wine route, as did SWMBO.

So, I lost in that nobody drank my beers. And I won in that nobody drank my beers.

i drove 4 full kegs, a newly constructed 4-tap jockey box, and all my brewing equipment 1000 miles in order to feed my friends and family with home brew and teach a group of people how to brew on there beginner kits.

I Win.

I won - went to a get together with 7 kids between ages 8 months and 7 years old. Between the kids and food prep, all the adults were panicked about the gravy -- in fact they were stressing harder over the gravy than the kids and the rest of the dinner; apparently they messed up the gravy pretty bad last year and had NO EDIBLE GRAVY for Thanksgiving:confused:

Between sips on my homebrew (which they all loved), I casually mentioned that I'm the king of gravy and that they just need to leave the kitchen when the turkey's carved and potatoes are done, and I'll make the best gravy they've ever had. And sure enough, I truly am the king of gravy and have been invited back next year :rockin:

Everyone adult at my house had my brew. Everyone had too much. I'd say I won, but my wife did with her amazing cooking. Now I'm drinking mostly commercial beer for the next few weeks. :(

beerfridge.jpg

I was down to may last six pack of Argentine Ambers and I thought they were to hoppy for the others. I'd put one in the back of the fridge and when I'd go back and it was gone--twice! It turns out my mother-in-law loves bitter beer and kept getting them before me.

I don't like my in-laws so i bought Bud-Light and left the homebrew at home.

I really want the recipe to these wasabi mashed potatoes.

Sounds like there were some big winners all around.

Another funny moment for me was my 78 year-old grandmother (she's still in great shape for her age), who I have never seen have more than a single glass of wine, asking for more of my pumpkin-spice red! Then she told me how she had a short lived obsession with making wine!!:confused: You've got to picture the traditional health-conscience, pie-making, all american grandma saying this to scratch your head like I did.

Per the requests, I give you Wasabi Mashed Potatoes:

1. Make Mashy 'Tatoes

2. Add wasabi

Really, that's it.

I'm sure there are variations, but I mashed mine with a bit of milk, butter, salt, white pepper, black pepper, garlic powder, and for the wasabi I used the dried stuff from King Soopers. Re-hydrate it so it blends in well. I flavor everything to taste without measuring, so just taste as you go. These go really well on a plate with herb-seared RARE tuna and something green (try asparagus, lemon sauteed spinach), but they were also damn good on turkey day!

I took a 2 liter growler of my American Pale Ale to my Mom's gathering. I am starting to get known that I make pretty decent beer, so as soon as I got there my BIL started asking "you got any homebrew?" I poped the growler open and 5 people immediately showed up with their cups. Wnet through it in no time and got great compliments on the brew.

Funny too, this APA was 80 iBUs and a very heavy hop flavor and aroma. Most only drink those watered down commercial beers and I expected them to turn their noses up at real flavor - I may have made some converts.

Dan

Since we all know that Thanksgiving is a contest;) to be won or lost:D, who else won it? Or lost it?
15 adult and 5 kids at my house. Either the family has just gotten really polite or I’ll take a win. Not too many were willing to make the trip to that wasteland known as my basement. After a few beers that can be a dangerous adventure even for those seeking the three dungeon brews on tap down there. Upstairs was another story. Kicked the keg of Dry Stout and there can’t be much more than a pint left in the Roggen. The surprise was the Wheat. It was off in a corner stuck in a 5 gallon Igloo cooler with a picnic tap hanging off of it. I didn’t see a lot of it going down, but when I went to move the keg back to the refrigerator found that it was over half empty.

To seal the deal, I had a cooler of commercial beer as a backup, but didn’t find one empty while cleaning up.
:mug:

Edit:
Almost forgot. Successfully converted a couple of wine drinker to Apfelwein. My sister actually asked for one to go with breakfast on Friday morning.
Hair of the dog? :drunk:

Back