Whirlpool + post fermentation dry hop or double dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamninjabob

Unapologetic Hophead
Reaction score
I've been messing with my NEIPA recipe for a while now constantly mixing up the hops to keep it interesting, and I'm just trying to push that hoppy flavor/aroma to it's limits now. I've been putting a minimum of 4oz in the whirlpool at either 170F or 150 for 20 minutes, and then dry hopping post fermentation with a minimum of 4oz lose with no bag or anything. Last brew I decided to put the 4oz in at high krausen instead of whirlpooling.

Personally I think the most flavor I've gotten from the hops was with the 170F whirlpool. I'd like to know what some of the other homebrewers prefer to push out their hop flavor to keep perfecting this beer.

My recipe if anyone is interested is:
9 lb - Maris Otter (51.4%)
4 lb - Wheat Malt, White (22.9%)
2 lb - Flaked Oats (11.4%)
1.5 lb - Chit Malt (8.6%)
1 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose - (late addition) (5.7%)

.4oz centennial @ 60
at least 4oz whirlpool/high krausen dry-hop
at least 4oz dry-hop

Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04

Last edited:
I've been messing with my NEIPA recipe for a while now constantly mixing up the hops to keep it interesting, and I'm just trying to push that hoppy flavor/aroma to it's limits now. I've been putting a minimum of 4oz in the whirlpool at either 170F or 150 for 20 minutes, and then dry hopping post fermentation with a minimum of 4oz lose with no bag or anything. Last brew I decided to put the 4oz in at high krausen instead of whirlpooling.

Personally I think the most flavor I've gotten from the hops was with the 170F whirlpool. I'd like to know what some of the other homebrewers prefer to push out their hop flavor to keep perfecting this beer.

My recipe if anyone is interested is:
9 lb - Maris Otter (51.4%)
4 lb - Wheat Malt, White (22.9%)
2 lb - Flaked Oats (11.4%)
1.5 lb - Chit Malt (8.6%)
1 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose - (late addition) (5.7%)

.4oz centennial @ 60
at least 4oz whirlpool/high krausen dry-hop
at least 4oz dry-hop

Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Have you visited this thread yet? It has your answers

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/northeast-style-ipa.568046/page-348#post-9058719

Dgallos suggestion is correct. That thread is easily the best current discussion of hopping techniques on the internet right now, it's a lot to digest but some great info. Because of that thread, I've stopped dry hopping mid fermentation and now cold crash at the end of fermentation and then dry hop. My beers are ready to drink sooner, and seem to have lasting hop character.

Back