Whirlpool Port Position on eBIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trav77

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm in the process of putting together an eBIAB setup and am wondering about peoples experiences with whirlpool port positions. Right now the plan is to use a side pickup for the outlet (at the bottom of the kettle) and to also position the whirlpool port at the same height as the output. The logic here is to keep all of the ports and fittings below the bottom of the bag.

Generally whirlpools are put higher up so does anyone here have experience getting a good whirlpool and trub/hop separation using a setup like this?

You would be whirlpooling post boil, correct? The bag won't be in the kettle at that point, so you don't have to worry about the port being below the bag ... unless I'm completely missing something here.

You would be whirlpooling post boil, correct? The bag won't be in the kettle at that point, so you don't have to worry about the port being below the bag ... unless I'm completely missing something here.

Yes, post-boil whirlpool while/after chilling with a CFC... but it's a single vessel for mash and whirlpool so the whirlpool fitting could get in the way during the mash.

Here's my eBIAB setup. I put the whirlpool port to the right of my main pickup tube and just put an elbow on the inside. This let me keep everything at one level. This setup has worked well and it also provides a little more structure for my chiller to lean on instead of the element.

View attachment 1479959692721.jpg

Here's my eBIAB setup. I put the whirlpool port to the right of my main pickup tube and just put an elbow on the inside. This let me keep everything at one level. This setup has worked well and it also provides a little more structure for my chiller to lean on instead of the element.

Thanks. That's exactly what I'm looking at for mine.

Any issues getting a good whirlpool with the port that low?

It works great. I have the elbow outlet pointed mostly to the side , but also slightly up to get go mixing. My pickup tube is 5/8th so it gets going really well. It's also a big difference uses a IC with higher flow vs a plate chiller.

I'll try to remember to take a photo tomorrow when I'm chilling.

It works great. I have the elbow outlet pointed mostly to the side , but also slightly up to get go mixing. My pickup tube is 5/8th so it gets going really well. It's also a big difference uses a IC with higher flow vs a plate chiller.

I'll try to remember to take a photo tomorrow when I'm chilling.

That would be great. Thanks!

My plan is to use that setup with a CFC when chilling but then disconnect the chiller and whirlpool for a short while after chilling to get trub away from the side pickup.

Thanks for the video! Looks about the same as I currently get with my IC and attached sparge arm.

Sounds like it will work well enough with the ports mounted low on my eBIAB.

Back