Whirlfloc Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brackbrew

Reaction score
Just finished my first all-grain batch and was feeling triumphant (nailed the target gravity, etc...) and realized after pitching the yeast and putting it to rest, I realized I forgot to use my Whirlfloc tab.

Any ideas as to how hazy it might end up? I brewed this for the impending birth of my first child. Opinions and suggestions welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Aww crap! It's gonna be as cloudy as **ck!.

Nah, just playing. It'll be fine. And time clears all beers. So while your first few bottles may be hazy, if you have any left 5 or 6 weeks later, chances are those will be pretty clear.

Don't worry about it. I'm sure Whirlfloc does help clear beer faster, but I'm not sure to what degree. I often leave it out of my wheat brews, but they inevitably manage to turn crystal clear in time unless I make it a point to shake the keg to stir things back up. You may want to extend your primary a little longer and cold crash if you can before bottling to reduce the amount of sediment that goes into the bottles (I'm assuming you'll be bottling).

I usually ferment a week in the primary and two in the secondary. Anything more and I'll be cutting it close for the birth (with bottle conditioning in there too).

I forget about half the time. The beer does clear faster when I use it, but it's not like it clears more or anything- just faster.

You're right on, Yoop. I used whirfloc in my last half dozen brews and I estimate 20-25% clearer beer. It's quite clear and I'll continue to use it (cause it's cheap) but my beers were very clear without it.

Back