Which yeast to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phyllobeddo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Because I have a three gallon keg and because I haven’t brewed in a few years, I split a five gallon Cream Ale extract kit into two batches. I’m doing a three gallon “full boil.” When I brewed the first one, I accidentally used about 90% of the WLP001 yeast instead of half. I plan to brew the second half of the batch tomorrow and I have some Nottingham Ale dry Yeast and some White Labs WLP005 British Ale Yeast. I’m leaning towards using the Nottingham, but wanted some opinions on the two yeasts. The kit is from MWS. Also, I plan to ferment this batch in the basement, which is about 70 degrees right now. Thoughts? Considerations? Thanks! :mug:

I would go with the 005 as it will give some fruity english esters and be a completely different beer than the first batch. At best nottingham is a clean fermenter and won't be too different than the wlp001...but 70 is warm for nottingham and it often gets weird at that temp.

I checked the temp gauge on my wine fridge and it goes up into the 60s, so I can control the temp somewhat if I move my keg to the fridge. I did not realize it went that high. I've lagered in it before, but I never bothered with higher temps. It does deviate about 2-3 degrees either way from the setting, at least according to the digital output. I'm still undecided on which yeast. On another note, I may not get to brew today.

I would go with Notty in a blonde/cream ale. That would be my person preference, though. I think wlp005 is a good yeast, though. So, you really can't go wrong, just personal preference.

I finally got around to brewing the 1/2 batch of cream ale. I ended up using a 1/2 pack of Notty that had been opened previously and was stored in the fridge for several weeks, and I also used what was left of the WLP001. I went ahead and made a starter for the 001 and let it work for about 24 hours. I cooled the wort down to about 62 degrees in my wine fridge and then I pitched both yeasts at the same time. I'm not sure exactly how long it took to start, but it was between 10 and 16 hours. Not sure how it will turn out, but it's nice and happy and bubbling well right now.

Back