Which type of glue works best for labeling bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewclearAssault

Reaction score
My friend and I have a good thing going here at the Celtic Froth Home Brewery, but the main thing we can't get a definite answer on right now is the correct glue to use for the labels. I haven't made any attempts yet but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

I don't have a lot of bottles yet and I re-use them obviously so I need something that will stay on the bottle even when the beer is "bleeding," but it also needs to come off easily when it comes time to clean the bottles again and start a new batch- basically it needs to act like whatever glue the big breweries use but be readily available at a craft store or something. Will standard Elmer's glue or something like that work or will I need a specialty thing? Bonus points if its inexpensive :)

I've used a glue stick with good effect. I little dab around the edges. It's not permanent, though.

I've heard nothing but good from using milk for a complete seal.

I really should take this old color laser home and use it for printing labels and stuff. Work doesn't want to use it, and there is still some color toner left.

+1 on the milk. Put a small amount in a dish, dip the labels slightly, and slap them on the bottle. Works like a charm!

Glue sticks work awesome for me. Glue stick the entire back of the label and adhere. They stick like commercial label, and even stand up to a good period of time in the cooler with water. When you want to remove the label just soak in some hot water, comes back off

Back